Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Lounge (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Big Brother will be Watching (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/110840-big-brother-will-watching.html)

Tom Kirkham 05-26-2011 07:17 PM

Big Brother will be Watching

Autos Insider | U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes' | The Detroit News

Dennis Mosley 05-26-2011 08:49 PM

Big brother has been watching for a few years now. The just didn't talk about it too much.

Wbulk 05-26-2011 08:51 PM

I knew about ten years ago the Highway Patrol was pulling the boxes after high speed accidents with Corvettes when there was a serious injury involved. I would emagine they would pull them from any car involved in a fatality. It would have to be serious enough to justify the cost. They have to send it out to a lab, or did then to retrieve the data. More concerning than that is I read an article a few years back where Calif. was considering downloading the data from your car as you drove past reciever locations. It would capture your speed data. They could easily do this the same way On-Star works and can read trouble codes, unlock your doors and so forth. I think this will become an issue as the technology becomes cheaper.

Wayne

ACademic 05-26-2011 09:01 PM

Cops added radar and companies developed radar detectors. Someone will come up with a fancy way to defeat these black boxes...and people like me will be writing them checks.

Paul F 05-26-2011 09:57 PM

It's a good thing. Vehicles are the most lethal item most Americans use every day. The least we can do is have accurate data about the use of them. It beats the heck out of eyewitnesses.

Traffic fatalities per year - 40,000
Airplane fatalities per year - 1000

If you want privacy;

Use cash - they monitor your every purchase for habits
Turn your cell phone off. They can track your position with some accuracy by triangulating your signal from the towers, in or out of your car.

Turn your computer off. They know every website you visit.

And put tape over your computer camera and break the microphone.

bobcowan 05-26-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 1131300)
It's a good thing. .

No, it isn't. Name one instance where government monitoring of private citizens going about their lives has urned out to be good for the citizens. The only reason the gov't wants to moniter you is so they can control you.

jolsen42 05-27-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcowan (Post 1131305)
No, it isn't. Name one instance where government monitoring of private citizens going about their lives has urned out to be good for the citizens. The only reason the gov't wants to moniter you is so they can control you.

Amen.

John O

Mark IV 05-27-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 1131300)
It's a good thing. Vehicles are the most lethal item most Americans use every day. The least we can do is have accurate data about the use of them. It beats the heck out of eyewitnesses.

Traffic fatalities per year - 40,000
Airplane fatalities per year - 1000

If you want privacy;

Use cash - they monitor your every purchase for habits
Turn your cell phone off. They can track your position with some accuracy by triangulating your signal from the towers, in or out of your car.

Turn your computer off. They know every website you visit.

And put tape over your computer camera and break the microphone.

Or you can do ike me and wear the hat made out of aluminum foil to keep the "thought waves" out........;)

jbmatth 05-27-2011 05:40 AM

Whether they are planning to use them as a way to control us, fine us, tax us, whatever. Just one more reason to drive the cobra more often.

FWB 05-27-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcowan (Post 1131305)

double amen.....

FWB 05-27-2011 09:25 AM

wait......doesn't everyone wear tin foil hats?

Hydramada 05-27-2011 09:50 AM

Who is John Galt?

jolsen42 05-27-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydramada (Post 1131363)
Who is John Galt?

That my friend is the direction we are heading.

John O

DAVID GAGNARD 05-27-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Kirkham (Post 1131279)

They are proposing a seperate date recovery system to the electronics already in autos....

But, before everyone starts making tin foil hats, you already have a similar system in your daily driver if it was made from the early 90's on.......It's called an ECM, or electronic control module, the main computer in cars/trucks that controls any and all electrical functions of a vehicle.......
they vary by type and brand, have a 15 to 30 second "loop"......if you bring your car/truck into a dealer for repairs, the first thing they do it plug into this and look for "faults" in the system to diagnose your problem. Anyone with the correct equipment can do this...
some of the things found in the ECM is ALL engine functions, rpms,transmission gear selection,brake pressure on the pedal and so forth and so on....by knowing the trans. gear selection and engine rpms, they can calculate the speed of the auto........this and other functions found can tell what has happeend in the last 15 to 30 seconds the engine was running.....
good/bad/ugly, it's already there, and at least on GM products been there since the early 90's........
don't ask how I know this, just take my word for it.....

David

rodneym 05-27-2011 11:18 AM

I wouldn't mind a black box being used if there was an accident in contention or someone was injured.
But that stuff about issues tickets is BS. Imagine no red light cameras. Just constant communication with a satellite, issuing tckets constantly. Eventually we'll just be passengers in Prii.
At least in Logan's Run they died young!

RodKnock 05-27-2011 11:54 AM

Here you go. You guys can pick out your favorite model of tin foil hat:

patrickt 05-27-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1131378)
Here you go. You guys can pick out your favorite model of tin foil hat:

Dang, Rod... have you even driven your car once this year?%/

Paul F 05-27-2011 12:05 PM

Good luck with the tin foil hat. The government has mandated that all tin foil have micro-structures built in to them that when shaped into a helmet, such as seen in Rodknock's video, will create a transmitter that will broadcast to satellites, everything that is seen, heard, thought, and spoken by the wearer.

RodKnock 05-27-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1131379)
Dang, Rod... have you even driven your car once this year?%/

Yes, I have and, BTW, I was wearing a very nice polished aluminum foil hat from Lands End or maybe it was Banana Republic. I can't remember, I spend so much time at the local mall.

patrickt 05-27-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1131395)
Yes, I have and, BTW, I was wearing a very nice polished aluminum foil hat...

Hmmm, well to your credit at least your chapeau matched your wheels. :cool: