Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for Advise on non-Cobra product

Guys, it has been a while since I've posted on here but I wanted to reach out to y'all for a little advice. I know this is not Cobra related but wanted to throw this out there as I know there is 10,000 years worth of automotive knowledge on this site. I also know that most of you have the connections I might be looking for in regards to what I'm posting below.

Jamo/Computerworks - if this is in wrong place or out of line please let me know as I'll move it or delete this post.

My dad, who has terminal cancer, has a mint condition factory original 1970 Chevy C10 short box pick-up that I'm trying to get a good estimate on worth, as my brother and I will most likely be looking to sell it in the coming months when he passes.

Right now I don't have photos of it as I'm in Texas and it is up north, but I will get some and add them to the post. As for what I know about the truck here goes:

1970 C10, short bed, Big Block 396 (although I always understood they were 402 due to the blocks getting bored 0.030" at engine plant), roughly 86k miles (really guessing on this from last time I drove it 20 years ago), metallic brown ORIGINAL paint, factory air conditioning, factory leather (some type of premium package), and completely Un-restored. This is an unrestored, 100% rust free, original paint, 2nd owner truck that has never had an ounce of major repairs in its whole life. My dad has owned this truck since late 70's and it has lived in a climate controlled garage, never seen snow, and the engine has never been touched other than oil changes and stuff like plugs, wires, points and condenser. The only thing not original is the battery, exhaust, brake pads/shoes and tires.

Now the real kicker. It's a C10 but it has the factory COPO trailer tow package which had the manual transmission 4 speed (1st is creeper gear) and a Dana 60 rear axle, which were not usually offered on 1/2 ton truck. Even though it's the Dana 60 it's still got regular wheel ends and 5 lug wheels, unlike the Dana in a 3/4 ton which has semi-floating axle ends. Years ago when changing rear brakes my dad discovered the drums and shoes were actually stamped with Ford part numbers. When we researched it at that time we discovered that Dana only wanted to make one axle for both GM and Ford, both of which released a heavy duty trailer tow option truck in 1970. This is where we found out this truck was a COPO optioned truck. I still need to look at the protect-o-plate to get more info on this and glove box sticker for all option details.

So at this point I'm looking for true estimates as to what it is worth so we don't get screwed from someone trying to steal it from him in his last month or two he has. Ultimately I'd like to see this go to someone for a fair price. Someone who will keep it and use it and not just try to flip for a profit. I'd love to keep for myself but he has 1965 Pontiac Tempest with 36k miles that's nicer condition than this truck, which is hard to believe because the truck is 95/100 point scale. I told my brother I'm keeping the Pontiac and we will sell the truck and he can keep the $$ from the truck.

So I welcome comments, thoughts, private messages if someone is truly interested in purchase and has a deep understanding of the worth of this level of a truck.

Once again I know it's not Cobra related but I'm hoping that this community has enough knowledge and connections to help me out. I've been a member for a long time and know there are good honest folks on here who wouldnt try to screw someone to make a buck.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slidr,

I am sorry to hear about your Father and hope the best for the family. As for the pickup, you really need to get hold of a person who does classic vehicle estimates and have them go over the pickup and give you a price as they will know what to look for and also the market value. I don't know how far up North it is but Wayne Terennie ( spelling ) of Chasing Classic cars would be a good person as would several others. That is what I did when I went to sell my car and I was surprised as I was going to ask several hundred less than I got after having a classic vehicle appraiser go over it and tell me what I should list it for. Mr. Mustang who is a member here could probably help you a lot in this area too.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-29-2016, 03:51 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

A quick search of completed auctions on Ebay shows successful (in green) auctions for modified 1970 C10's in the $12,000-$24,000 range.

While I have no experience with them myself, I'd suspect that the cleaner the build, the color combinations, etc, the higher end of the scale (or more) it could be on.

Sorry to hear about your father, lost mine to cancer a little over a year ago, our prayers are with you and your extended family

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Slider, sorry about your Dad. Cancer killed my Dad, in '81, and I still miss him.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the Chevy will bring. Being a short bed, with a factory RAT motor should make it very desirable. Please keep me in mind when you've gotten it evaluated. I could be a buyer for you. kbebout@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

I'm big into the old truck scene. If it's a 95/100 truck and in original unmolested condition ready to drive across the country as-is, then I will say that it has a value of between $18,000 to $25,000....depending on who is looking for one like that at the time of the sale. Perhaps more due to the AC and the oddball rear axle option. Trucks are still red hot right now, especially post-war short-box Chevy's. So strike while the iron is hot, is my advice, the air might leave that bubble soon.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

photo of eng, trying to get brother to send exterior photos
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Int photo
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dash photo
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not the best photo but what brother sent me
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, that is a great looking truck. Is it a "camper special"?
You may want to think twice before selling it.
Once it's gone it's gone.
Sorry to hear about your father.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.

Last edited by DWRAT; 07-30-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

With a RAT motor and the "grannie gear" tranny, that thing would pull stumps. I noticed a trailer brake controler and fortunately, no 4WD.

Slider, you are correct about the 402. Never heard just why this was done. Can't think it would add much power.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl - I was my understanding that the engine plant in NY (Tonowanda) had machine issues with the blocks and needed to bore them 0.030" to correct the issue. Thus the 402, although they never changed the literature from 396. And yes, it's a beast. The truck would make an awesome truck to tow someone's Cobra around the country.

DWRAT - I'd love to keep it but there is this truck and a 36k mile 1965 Pontiac Tempest that means a lot more to me. So I've told my brother I want the Pontiac and he can take the money from the sale of the truck. The truck has no sentimental value to him unfortunately. But if the truck doesn't sell right away I'll use it to tow the Pontiac back to Texas.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Slider:
Sorry to hear about your Dad, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. You might want to reach out to the guys at "What's my car worth" they will be glad to help you out.
Stay well brother!
Lou
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
Guys, it has been a while since I've posted on here but I wanted to reach out to y'all for a little advice. I know this is not Cobra related but wanted to throw this out there as I know there is 10,000 years worth of automotive knowledge on this site. I also know that most of you have the connections I might be looking for in regards to what I'm posting below.

Jamo/Computerworks - if this is in wrong place or out of line please let me know as I'll move it or delete this post.

My dad, who has terminal cancer, has a mint condition factory original 1970 Chevy C10 short box pick-up that I'm trying to get a good estimate on worth, as my brother and I will most likely be looking to sell it in the coming months when he passes.

Right now I don't have photos of it as I'm in Texas and it is up north, but I will get some and add them to the post. As for what I know about the truck here goes:

1970 C10, short bed, Big Block 396 (although I always understood they were 402 due to the blocks getting bored 0.030" at engine plant), roughly 86k miles (really guessing on this from last time I drove it 20 years ago), metallic brown ORIGINAL paint, factory air conditioning, factory leather (some type of premium package), and completely Un-restored. This is an unrestored, 100% rust free, original paint, 2nd owner truck that has never had an ounce of major repairs in its whole life. My dad has owned this truck since late 70's and it has lived in a climate controlled garage, never seen snow, and the engine has never been touched other than oil changes and stuff like plugs, wires, points and condenser. The only thing not original is the battery, exhaust, brake pads/shoes and tires.

Now the real kicker. It's a C10 but it has the factory COPO trailer tow package which had the manual transmission 4 speed (1st is creeper gear) and a Dana 60 rear axle, which were not usually offered on 1/2 ton truck. Even though it's the Dana 60 it's still got regular wheel ends and 5 lug wheels, unlike the Dana in a 3/4 ton which has semi-floating axle ends. Years ago when changing rear brakes my dad discovered the drums and shoes were actually stamped with Ford part numbers. When we researched it at that time we discovered that Dana only wanted to make one axle for both GM and Ford, both of which released a heavy duty trailer tow option truck in 1970. This is where we found out this truck was a COPO optioned truck. I still need to look at the protect-o-plate to get more info on this and glove box sticker for all option details.

So at this point I'm looking for true estimates as to what it is worth so we don't get screwed from someone trying to steal it from him in his last month or two he has. Ultimately I'd like to see this go to someone for a fair price. Someone who will keep it and use it and not just try to flip for a profit. I'd love to keep for myself but he has 1965 Pontiac Tempest with 36k miles that's nicer condition than this truck, which is hard to believe because the truck is 95/100 point scale. I told my brother I'm keeping the Pontiac and we will sell the truck and he can keep the $$ from the truck.

So I welcome comments, thoughts, private messages if someone is truly interested in purchase and has a deep understanding of the worth of this level of a truck.

Once again I know it's not Cobra related but I'm hoping that this community has enough knowledge and connections to help me out. I've been a member for a long time and know there are good honest folks on here who wouldnt try to screw someone to make a buck.
I just looked at Hagerty's valuation tool, and they show an Excellent condition C10 at $19,800 - with a 400cid/310hp 4bbl. Good condition would be $9,000.

I expect your truck to be far better than 'Good', closer to Excellent, based upon your description and Hagerty's, and while that would make it worth a little less, the equipment on that truck (BBC, tranny, rear end) would add to the value.

Antny's valuation at $18,000-25,000 would be supported by what I see on Hagerty's site. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati..._Ton?id=131350