June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice picture Fred. It is finally Friday and is hot and humid here. It stays hot all night and is really miserable during the afternoons. They have been on RED FIRE ALERT for the past two weeks and so far they have caught the only 4 fires very quickly and got them out with just the loss of one old out building and several acres of grass burned.k With this heat and the wind that we seem to have almost every day it will be really bad if a fire gets into any of the canyons.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yesterday here in SoCal/Riverside area, there were thunder and lightniong storms, with a few fires started by the lightning. This morning about 10 AK we had a light rain fall; BOY, do those fat tires on the Henry J break loose easily on slick pavement!!! lol !!!

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Well made a real hard for me to make decision today. The 03 Mustang was really starting to have issues, and I tried to make it last, but I made the decision to trade it in. With a new car payment, I knew there is no way I could get into a Cobra in the next year or 2, so I was really hoping it would hold out. Well, after new struts, new rotors, new clutch, new cooling fan, this morning the belt started squealing, but it went away quickly. We were out and about and after leaving a store, it did not want to start. Something it has been doing lately. When it did start, it sputtered and almost died. I decided that sooner or later this car is going to leave me on the side of the road (probably sooner the way it is going). So I am now the owner of a Candy Red Metallic 2010 Mustang GT. I wanted the 5.0 in the 2011, but the 6K off the sticker, plus the 2500 cash back on the GT, made it worth getting the 4.6, so I did it. 8500 less for the car was worth it. It put the car at the same price as the new V6. but still a bit more HP and much better sound. I guess I will continue to live vicariously through others on the Cobra front for a few more years.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

To bad the other car was going downhill so fast but the new Mustang will be a lot of fun. I see several of the 2010 GTs around here and those V-6s seem to go just as well as the old V-8s. One guy had bought some of the Shelby add on stuff and made his more or less a clone of the Shelby GT. I was looking at Corning Ford yesterday at new cars and really liked the Mustangs but I would need a car with a little more room in the seats as I haul my dogs to the vet and the carrier won't fit in the Mustangs bucket seats.

Ron

Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All 200 miles put on so far has been really fun to drive. It is such a different car than my 03. The 03 was much more raw feeling, and this is really refined. When I did the handful of modifications to the 03, it really woke it up in feel, so I am hoping for the same. I did get the optional 3.73 rear gear and suspension setup, which is something I really wanted.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

Just what are you going to change on the car? Out here they won't allow any changes and are now even checking the chips in the computers to see if they have been changed. I don't know how the special builder cars get by, but they seem to accept them. They are even having people around here with diesel pickups take them in to a smog place and have them checked now, but all they can really do is look to see if the chip has been changed as they have no emission equipment and no rules for tail pipe emissions for them. But they get that money just the same.

Ron

Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Joe,

They are even having people around here with diesel pickups take them in to a smog place and have them checked now, but all they can really do is look to see if the chip has been changed as they have no emission equipment and no rules for tail pipe emissions for them. But they get that money just the same.

Ron
Ron,
Must be nice up there! Down here they test the tail pipe.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
Texas is great for that stuff, you can really customize your car here. I am planning on the SLP Loudmouth Axle back system, and a catted Xpipe for exhaust. Probably have those done by the end of the year, just have to find the right deals (I tend to buy that stuff used with low miles for less than 1/2 the price as new). I also want a chip tuner so I can retune and get a few more HP. I also want a cold air intake and possibly a larger throttle body. After that I am thinking of maybe supercharging it, but that will be a future item as it is a lot more expensive. For appearance, I just tinted the windows yesterday, and I want the 1/4 window louvers. Since it already has the optional 3.73 gears and rear end setup, no change is really needed there. I think it is awesome that ford is doing that as an option from the factory now.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts View Post
Ron,
Must be nice up there! Down here they test the tail pipe.
Mike,

What do they use as a standard for the diesels down there? Since they were smog exempt, they can't just make up some number and use that. And there is no smog equipment for any of the pickups that I know of unless they have started making it for the last couple of years.

Joe,

You are lucky. Up here if you even change the dam mufflers they will not pass you on smog. What comes out the tail pipe is irrelevant as they claim it has been modified and that is illegal even if the tailpipe readings are lower than they were stock. This area has some smog but not a lot compared to others in this state and we have the most asinine smog rules in the state. Everything here is about grabbing all of the money they can and they really don't seem to care if it passes or not.

Ron

Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea that is what was happening in San Diego 10 years ago when I lived there. My truck "Failed" because the intake manifold did not have a CARB stamp on it. Same intake as the CARB stamped one, but older and built before the requirement. I had to buy a new one that was in every way the exact same, but it had the stamp on it, now it was legal.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mike,

What do they use as a standard for the diesels down there? Since they were smog exempt, they can't just make up some number and use that. And there is no smog equipment for any of the pickups that I know of unless they have started making it for the last couple of years.

Ron
Ron,
For the last 4 years the company I work for has had to hire someone to come in to are yard and check the tail pipes on all diesel trucks with a gross weight of 10,000 pounds...even simi.
I have a friend that smogs cars and he told me that he has started smog testing diesels as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Where did they get the figures that will pass from since there were none ever established that I am aware of? What happens if they don't pass the tail pipe readings? That is why up here they just did the visual on my neighbors pickup and asked about any chip change. They don't have any base to do a tail pipe emission test. And they can't just use the new car figures as they are for gasoline. I am not sure what they do about the diesel cars as I don't know anyone that has one.

Ron

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just Passing through.

DAMN it's hot outside. I think I am going to raise the attic insulation to R-60. It is way too low in this house for this part of the Country. In some spots it is only 2-1/2" deep.

NO, I didn't build this house.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW:
For those of you who have not got your bill for your insurance renewals.... hang on to your drawers! We are seeing increases of 100 - 140% on all Relpica vehicles. That is not just the cobras, but ALL replicas. The exotics are increasing as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Quote:

Mike,

Where did they get the figures that will pass from since there were none ever established that I am aware of? What happens if they don't pass the tail pipe readings? That is why up here they just did the visual on my neighbors pickup and asked about any chip change. They don't have any base to do a tail pipe emission test. And they can't just use the new car figures as they are for gasoline. I am not sure what they do about the diesel cars as I don't know anyone that has one.

Ron
Ron,
Where dose the Government get any figures from??? as for us if we can't show we have "smoke test" on all are trucks it is a $10,000.00 fine per truck with out a test!
I drive a 2007 Peterbuit and have failed the test....had to take the truck for a 30min. drive to get it to pass.
I also can't drive my truck in to ANY landfill in CA. because it dose not meet 2010 smog laws!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Just what is a smoke test? And that landfill probably puts more pollution in the air than the truck. I know these garbage trucks up here are several years old and they drive them to the landfill. And they sure don't have any smog devices on them. How can you make an older diesel meet 2010 smog laws when there were none when it was made? Sounds as if this great republic is more interested in getting them off the road or getting all the money they can than in actually doing anything to clear the air.

Just as I have stated when my neighbor had to take his 3/4 ton diesel in for the smog check, it was a joke. Just asked if he had changed the chip, looked under the hood for a minute and then charged him whatever it is they charged as he would never tell.

Ron

Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

It's been a couple of days...hasn't it?

I can tell, I do not know what anyone is talking about and I am dizzy.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,
The smoke test is just like a car they stick a sniffer in the pipe and see how many particulate's come out.
If the old trucks run on CNG they are ok or if they are diesel they MUST add a particlate trap.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,

So far as I know they haven't gotten that far up here yet. I wonder if all of the diesel pickups around here will have to do that soon.

Ron

Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,
I think the landfill rule is state wide.