Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Congradulations to those who have quit, and best to you for those wishing to. I know a guy who gave up the booze, and heroin, but can't kick the cigarettes. It has to be one of the toughest habits to kick. Phillips Morris is the PUSHERMAN!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
From talking to a few that I know who have kicked habits, it does seem the smoking is the harder to do. One person that I knew was a complete wreck and heroine addict for years. He told me he woke up in a gutter one morning all messed up from throwing up and decided that if that was all he was going to do with his life it wasn't worth it. He knew a man that had a cabin up in the mountains about 40 miles from the nearest town and it was on private land. He asked him if he would take him up there and take everything that could be used except basic food out and come back in three to four weeks. There was a mountain stream about 100 yards from the cabin and the guy left Larry there with nothing but basic food and cleaned everything else out of the cabin. Larry told me that for about a week he thought he was going to die and then he was afraid he wouldn't. On the 3rd week he started feeling a little better and ate some. He said he then staggered out to the stream and just laid down in that cold water for a while. After that he got up, threw away the clothes he had been wearing, cleaned the cabin, ate a good meal and started taking walks. He said he had never had any desire to touch any type of dope after that. I knew him for several years and he was one of the nicest people around and wouldn't even go back to the towns where he had been when he was using. To me, that took real will power and a lot of self sacrifice as no one made him do it. He also gives talks at rehab centers, and most find it hard to believe that anyone could just quit like that.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred;

How's it going for you??????????
I know I should quit, just have not made up my mind to do it......maybe with Chantix it would be easier for me to do it.......

Let me know how it's going and how it turns out..........

David
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra
Just took Day 3 of the Chantix.
There haven't been any side effects.
Everybody says you're no fun. I'm sure Frenchy would not mind a little farting.

Keep it up!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD
Fred;

How's it going for you??????????
I know I should quit, just have not made up my mind to do it......maybe with Chantix it would be easier for me to do it.......

Let me know how it's going and how it turns out..........

David
David,
Like you,I know I should quit BUT someone telling me to quit won't get me to.I have come to this on my own terms.

Chantix dosage is :
days 1-3... .5 mg once aday
days 4-7 .5 mg twice aday
day 8-90 1 mg twice aday

It tells you to start Chantix 7 days before your "Quit Day".Mine is this coming Wednesday.They say this lets it build up in your system before day 8 when you stop smoking.

Yesterday morning,day 2, I noticed a good drop in the urge to smoke.Today as well.And I don't get the boost..kick.. the aah factor...whatever you call it after you light up when it's been awhile.
My smoking dropped by 1/3 yesterday and by 1/2 from my usual with next to no thought or effort.
No sign of a withdrawal feeling,yet.

This stuff has no nicotine in it,so you aren't just trading out how you get the nicotine.Like with patches and gum.

David,I hope this answers you question.
If not,I'll try till I do.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hang in there Fred,
It will only help you to live longer.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442
I'm sure Frenchy would not mind a little farting.
You're right,French doesn't mind..
She has the hopping farts.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Good on you, Fred. Several of us around here quit about the same time several years ago. I quit after decades of 2-3 packs a day back in '03.

My last big smokeout was driving with Turk from Fresno to Provo...took several cartons and smoked the high holy he!! out of every butt while we talked continuously. At one point we scared ourselves. We both realized we were running out of breath and getting dizzy, but we soon felt better when we realized we had climbed to 10,000 feet while we were chain smoking. We felt so relieved...we lit up!

I thoroughly enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked (and the pipes and the cigars). I never hacked or coughed. But I promised Cheerleader that I would quit when I took delivery of KMP184.

So I finally quit when I towed my trailer alone to pick up the Cobra from Provo in April, 2003. Took no cigarette with this time...it was tough. I used Nicorettes...bit my tongue and the inside of my cheeks a zillion times learning how to chew gum again, but it worked. One unnerving side effect when you chew it too rapidly and keep popping new pieces in your mouth is that it can cause you to burp and hiccup at the same time. I kept telling myself that if I could fart at the same time, I could start a circus act.

It worked. I've had a cigarette or cigar a once or twice a year since then while having a beer with friends, but I've never felt the urge to reach for the second one. I can stand next to a smoker and it doesn't bother me in the least.

As others have said...it's 90% mental.

I didn't add any weight...there was no more to add.

Last edited by Jamo; 08-31-2007 at 11:42 PM..
Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred,

I am happy to hear that the Chantix seems to be working out well. Hope your urge soon drops to zero. I am not sure but it seems I read a post once by Jamo about trying to open his gum packet while driving and cutting his finger or something along that line. You have to admire anyone who give up any type of bad habit after they have been at it for years. We are all pulling for you.

Ron

Old 09-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. You might have to sing yourself a song of encouragement. Don't whistle though, because that might bring on all kinds of different wind. As in hurricanes, or just plain breaking wind. I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How are you doing with it today Fred?

Keep it up!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Fred,

Hang in there and don't give up. If you ever fall off the wagon, get back on it. It's worth it to finally be free.

I had to learn to really hate the li'l paper wrapped dudes to finally quit for good (1988). Or rather hate that something that simple... could permeate my every plan lest I forget them... or find myself where they were inconvenient to use. Held captive by a d@mn plant...

The urge does gradually go away, more rapidly at first, but it took about 4-5 years before the last little wisps of memory disappeared. Then it was like I had never started. I was free. When somebody else lights up, it still smells good for a second like it always did. But then it shortly smells stuffy just like it used to, like a pool-room of yore.

I did gain about 200 pounds after I quit. Quit the first of many times, that is. Forty pounds to 240 since then.

The first time, I just learned to read real books. I was a big fan of Huckleberry Finn and his corn-cob pipe and I secretly smoked down by the lazy river with my crude homemade affair.

I swiped my dads leftover Camel cigarette butts for tobacco since everything else I dried-and-tried was even worse. It was pretty bitter, but I was determined as he11. So I put a chunk of raw apple in with the tobacco and lined the pipe with real honey to sweeten it just like the magazine ads of the time showed. Huck and Jim woulda been proud of me, I know.

My mom found my stash hidden out in the yard, so I had to quit. Just as well as my tobacco pouch was full of ants anyway. On the upside, I think the ants and the honey story saved me from a wuppin.

Last edited by Wes Tausend; 09-02-2007 at 04:52 AM..
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Want to let y'all know that I do appreciate the personal stories about your own experiences with smoking and what you did and went through on quiting.

AND also the encouragement from everyone !!!

Jamo,I seem to remember some funny posts about you battling with the gum wrappers.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today is Day 8 on Chantix.

Day 8 is the "Quit Day".
Had my last cigarette last night.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's great Fred. We are all pulling for a bud.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred,

That is great. And don't chew on Frenchy. Frog legs don't taste like chicken.

Ron

Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

You go girl. That was for Frenchy, not you Fred. We all know you need help!

One day at a time. Keep it up (the not smoking part at least).
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Hi Fred,
I'm so glad you're trying to kick the habit. My wife has struggled with it for years.
Fred, please be cautious. Chantix is a very powerful mind altering drug. It does not work on the physical attributes of your addiction (hence, no nicotine) but works on the mind's processing of such behavior. It blocks dopamine receptors like a lot of anti-depressants do. (others enhance dopamine uptake)

I'm sure you've seen the bazaar story of Carter Albrecht here in Dallas who just went bonkers on Chantix and it cost him his life. He was a close friend- of-a-friend so it hit home.
http://www.gordonkeith.com/wordpress/

There are many stories like this, but they all seem to have one thing in common - the changes in behavior were preceded by wild dreams.

http://www.treatmentonline.com/treatments.php?id=710
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...d.php?p=137854
http://www.topix.com/member/profile/lifeski

Just keep a good look out for yourself and have others do the same. We want you around for a good long time, and if that has to be with a cigarette in your hand, so be it.
That's what I tell Amy too.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good morning everyone,

Fred, how is it going? Now to bad I hope. We are all pulling for you.

Ron

Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred
The current issue of Neurology magazine mentions a study of 7000 smoking and non-smoking people over seven years. The study revealed that smokers were 50% more likely to develop dementia or Alzheimer's disease than non-smokers or former smokers. There have been 19 similar studies that reached the same conclusions.

We all know that you certainly are demented, but maybe you can avoid Alzheimer's disease.

I gave up the weed about 19 months ago when I figured I was only semi-demented.

If you have any more wild dreams about Frenchy, please see your doctor.