10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     
Default What will a car show look like in 30-40 years?

With rice burners, cash for clunkers and other changes, what what will a car show look like in 30-40+ years?

Will we just continue to see the same batch of restored and kit cars?

Will we see new cars enhanced cosmetically and performance wise?

Will car shows be filled with 2009 mustangs, challengers and camero's in the year 2040?

Interesting

In 2040 many of our current classics will be 60 to 80 years old. How many times can they be restored?

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Interesting question. I think you will see the same as you do today. A good amount of new cars, a healthy dose of Classics (2009 Mustangs), and just a small amount of the really old cars (60's cars). Today we see the 2009s as the new, the 60's as the classics and you see an occasional 29-32 Ford/Chevy. We will be explaining to kids how things worked before fuel injection and they will look back with a blank stare asking how could it possibly work without computers and advanced electronics.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, one of the local cruise nights I go to has a big variety of stuff.
I've seen:
New Camaros, Chargers, GTOs, Shelbys, Corvettes, Vipers along with riced up Mazdas and Hondas. Also older Vettes, Camaros, MGs, Jags, Mustangs, Chevelles, GTOs, and even a few Ferraris and classic Aston or two. It's a pretty eclectic mix. There is even a 10-12 car group of new T-Birds. I am surprised at how few Cobras (and replicas) and original Shelby Mustangs I see.

Some of the newer cars were enhanced - especially the Japanese cars. One of them was even rather tastefully done. Well, almost.

I think car show in the future will have special interest autos. You might eventually see smaller car shows specifically for Mopars or Mazdas, or whatever.

One car I have not seen in all my years of going to car shows is an AMC Marlin. Does anybody here have one?

Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
If they are still driving cars in 40 years, I believe Joe has it close, but the really old cars like the 50s and 60s won't be at the shows unless they are trailered in and parked. I think most of the prime ones left will be in collections and museums.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No AMC Marlin, but I see a guy driving an AMC Javelin around locally here.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

There is a man that lives near me that has 3 AMC Marlins. He shows and drives one of them and another is in good shape and the 3rd is a parts car. Also I see a Black Javelin going down the street once in a while.

Ron

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I always liked the Javelin even though I thought the front end looked lackluster. It is like they designed a muscle car but forgot a grill so they grabbed one off a sedan.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The one that I see around here has a 390 engine in it I think. Sounds pretty good. And if I remember correctly, they did run quite well. It was just the stigma of AMC building the grandmother type cars that I believe hurt their chances of selling well here.

Ron

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've always liked the fenderlines of the Javelin. The grill could be worse, but I just think the whole car is pretty interestingly designed. I also like the AMX.

AMC also raced just about everything they had. Even Gremlins, Pacers, and Concords were raced at tracks like Daytona and Sebring, and they managed to do OK!

Ron, how do you feel about going to take some photos for me? I really could use a shot or two with the rear seat removed (in the junker is fine), and maybe a section of carpet lifted up (or removed entirely is better if the owner has already taken it out). I also need to know if the chassis was painted body colour or had undercoating. And I need a 390 valve cover label photo. I can pay you a little for your time and 'film'. Let me know if you are interested.

Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Funny you guise mentioned AMC, I have been collecting them for years, I have never had a Marlin, though I would not be opposed to having one if I were to run across the right deal, I have had 19 AMX's all together and as many as 9 at one time with 7 running, I'm down to 2 now and feeling much better, those 12 step programs really work Ha! I do have a Trans Am Javelin, one of my better kept secrets, I have not pulled that car out in 10 year maybe more.
As for the future of car shows, I believe they will be there, it's so ingrained in our society that there's no way it will ever change, the cars will change, and just as with the model T and the early cars of that period, they are rarely seen at shows, the ones from the 50's and 60's will be the same, it's hard to tell what will be classics in the future, who would have thought that a Duster or a Valiant would ever have been a collector car, so you never know!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

Like Mad Max, with the loss of Internal combustion engines also comes the loss of stable societies...

Refineries out in the desert, Toecutter will take care of you.

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We need more threads like this. I have spent the day wondering what a car show I go to when I am 70 will be like.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra bill View Post
Funny you guise mentioned AMC, I have been collecting them for years, I have never had a Marlin, though I would not be opposed to having one if I were to run across the right deal, I have had 19 AMX's all together and as many as 9 at one time with 7 running, I'm down to 2 now and feeling much better, those 12 step programs really work Ha! I do have a Trans Am Javelin, one of my better kept secrets, I have not pulled that car out in 10 year maybe more.
As for the future of car shows, I believe they will be there, it's so ingrained in our society that there's no way it will ever change, the cars will change, and just as with the model T and the early cars of that period, they are rarely seen at shows, the ones from the 50's and 60's will be the same, it's hard to tell what will be classics in the future, who would have thought that a Duster or a Valiant would ever have been a collector car, so you never know!
C-B,
What colour are the chassis of your AMCs?
It's not exactly a closely held secret around here, but I'm a bit of model car nut, and I have some AMC race cars to do, and damn little reference to go on. First up is the 1966 Marlin that ran at the 24 Hours of Daytona. It was bone stock except for a removed rear seat, carpet, and exhaust. They ran with Hudson steel wheels they had lying around, stock radio, and an extra Sun tach in front of the driver. I'm trying to figure out if the chassis was body colour, or something else. And then I have a Team Highball AMX to do...

Steve
Old 08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

God, had to go look that up (Marlin) I was thinking it was the same as the Rebel.

The AMX was pretty neat, suprisingly quick. (Javlin with the useless back seat removed)

Anyone remember the Gremlin X? Came with the 304 V8. I guess that's why they came out with the Pacer, so the Gremlin didn't look so bad.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Noticing a trend here???? The only people who will be able to afford to own a "show" car will be the people whom have no taxes!

And is it just me or does it look like alot of these morons polish their whole tire????
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Steve,

The next time I see that guy I will ask him if I can come over and take some pictures. The one that he drives and shows is very nice and done back to the original paint and interior. I haven't seen the parts car so I have no idea of what it is like.

Ron

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3.1, Carbed 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM View Post
One car I have not seen in all my years of going to car shows is an AMC Marlin. Does anybody here have one?

Steve
We just acquired one - 1965 model. It will need LOTS of work before it's show ready but my wife fell in love with it.

She said I have my FFR as a project so she wanted the Marlin as a project.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM View Post
C-B,
What colour are the chassis of your AMCs?
It's not exactly a closely held secret around here, but I'm a bit of model car nut, and I have some AMC race cars to do, and damn little reference to go on. First up is the 1966 Marlin that ran at the 24 Hours of Daytona. It was bone stock except for a removed rear seat, carpet, and exhaust. They ran with Hudson steel wheels they had lying around, stock radio, and an extra Sun tach in front of the driver. I'm trying to figure out if the chassis was body colour, or something else. And then I have a Team Highball AMX to do...

Steve
VRM the chassis on the AMC is painted to match the body color, and the engine color was Alamosa aqua metallic.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man that's one trend I hope is just a fad! I do like the what they are doing with the bikes though, the Hiabusa and others make's for a great canvas for that form of art.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

A Mazda RX "donk"...now I.ve seen it all..................

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: