• 1 Post By Mark IV
  • 1 Post By Cobrags

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default MN wants to inspect and re-vin a Contemporary cobra.

Hi all,
My son bought a 66 Contemporary classic cobra at an auction that was built and given an “Assigned Identification Number in 1983 in Maine. ID# is only 6 characters and my understanding is the state don’t like that short.

The State says it is a Salvaged title and want to inspect it and re-vin it. I would hate to loose the Contemporary recognition by them possibly taking ID plate to put new vin plate on it. I called one of the verification location and that lady didn’t even know what a replica or kit car was.

Questions:
1. Has anyone dealt with this?
2. Do you guys think loosing the Contemporary ID plate will affect the “True” collector meaning of this car?
3. Do you think keep it original and just prove ownership via bill of sale. It will then be a trailer queen to shows/races?
Off main question.
4. Can replicas be raced (autocross’, vintage, etc) as long as you meet requirements?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 04:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am not familiar with your laws there but here in California which is the hardest state in the union to register any kind of car in they would almost refuse to even talk to you if you have a salvage title. As for losing the Contemporary plate can't you just keep it to go with the car in case you sell it later? And out here replicas are raced a lot in all types of races but the safety rules are really strict and they may inspect the car or have it done by a licensed racing association person to be sure that the build is up to par. I never had any trouble with any of mine here as they just checked all of the safety equipment and looked at the fire suppression system.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Replicas can be raced in autocross and some vintage races depending on the organizer and meeting their rules. My 289 FIA is a dedicated vintage race car in SVRA, their requirements are pretty strict and your cobra must have the same type of engine, transmission, suspension, etc. as the originals. They are willing to overlook the fiberglass, but that is about it. I had to replace the wilwood brakes with Girlings.

Good luck.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would just like to know when, why and who salvaged title or is it due to I’d # length.
I would also like to see list they check with.
Is open exhaust allowed, ect.., ect...? It does have wipers but no motor or switch for them.
I called one of the inspection location and she said bring it in to get a pass or fail. If it fails then you need to bring them violation up to code then you need to
get it re-inspected. Didn’t trust her much once she said she didn’t know my discription of car as a replica or kit car.

Last edited by Cobrags; 01-10-2019 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Add more info.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Replicas can be raced in autocross and some vintage races depending on the organizer and meeting their rules. My 289 FIA is a dedicated vintage race car in SVRA, their requirements are pretty strict and your cobra must have the same type of engine, transmission, suspension, etc. as the originals. They are willing to overlook the fiberglass, but that is about it. I had to replace the wilwood brakes with Girlings.

Good luck.

Jim
It is a Contemporary Classic and has a 66 427 FE, 4 speed Toploader, and a Jag independent rearend.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is easier to get approved for autocross than vintage. Too much to detail here. If you or your son are interested in vintage racing, send me a PM with your name and phone number and I will give you a call and we can talk.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Some states consider the category "special construction" or "constructed" as used for many kits, to be "re-constructed" and therefor a branded/salvage title. As Maine is a state that assigns a VIN (MEXXXX) to kits you may need to get a copy of the Maine regulations and then ask for a supervisor at the MN DMV. Explain the assigned VIN from Maine and ask for MN to transfer the title as VIN'ed.
66gtk likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Best joke of the day: "Contemporary" and "Collectible" in the same sentence.

I do suspect that the Minnesota guy doesn't completely understand the previous registration process, and in most states the number should transfer across. The advice to get the Maine regs is a good suggestion.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-10-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My state insisted on a re-vin and I like what they tagged, titled it. They put it as a 1965 so can now run antique tags.

Last edited by studebaker53; 01-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can you please post a photo of the title - you can obscure personal details. Does it say "salvage" anywhere on it? Details matter in this case.

Who was the first one to tell you you need to go through all this? Did the clerk at the desk you went to get it registered at tell you this, or did you pay your fees/taxes and then sent on your way and then later heard from a MN official that you have these additional new considerations?

You are not going to enjoy going through new state assigned VIN process with a 1983 built car. This should be totally unnecessary. You may also lose the 1983 model year status, which will negatively affect things significantly. Do you want to pay 2019 model year taxes and tabs on this car?? Hell no! As an '83, you can register it as a collectible, pay your low flat fee and get your collector plates without ever having to pay for renewal tabs each year. You also won't have to run a front license plate. If you allow MN to change the rules on you it will be expensive and painful. It will also negatively affect your ability to sell it.

I live in MN and have registered numerous Cobra replicas here with no fuss. I have had 6 digit VINs repeatedly. MN usually takes whatever a previous state used to title, and like I said earlier - zero fuss. We have a newer system now, MNLARS. I hope that isn't causing issues for us. I'm genuinely concerned and interested in the details surrounding your present situation.

Last edited by 66gtk; 01-10-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the car is titled as "Salvage" it will be clearly marked as such.
Minnesota salvage titles are marked, "SALVAGE-MUST BE INSPECTED".

MN DMV inspection process to remove from salvage status is not for road safety reasons but to deter fraud and theft.
Therefore, receipts of any major items installed after purchased as salvage will need to be presented.

If the inspection is successful the title will still carry a permanent brand of, "PRIOR SALVAGE". That said, I wouldn't be to concerned about collector value.

As 66gtk noted, your greatest concern of a re-VIN title is loosing the +20 year old requirement for "Collector" status.
Titled as a 2019 means annual registration fees, higher insurance and quite possibly compliance with current emission standards.

Look here for further info: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for..._the_Facts.pdf

Last edited by Unique427; 01-10-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351w
Not Ranked     

One suggestion is that if you got this answer going into one of the licensing offices, try going to a different one - seriously. You can go to any of them to do your transfer, so give it a shot.

There is a very wide range of knowledge of replicas for the people that work there, so going to a different one you could get a different answer - and the one you're looking for.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterakl View Post
One suggestion is that if you got this answer going into one of the licensing offices, try going to a different one - seriously. You can go to any of them to do your transfer, so give it a shot.
Hence my question about "who" told the OP this information. If it already got to someone in the main office after filling paperwork at the local place he may have more of a battle on his hands. Still, it would be worth fighting.

The local clerks usually aren't able to make any real decisions - they are like cashiers. All the paperwork eventually get's pushed up the ladder to a government official's office. Like Chuck said, if you get stuck with a local clerk, try a different location! Better yet, find a location that can process an expedited title (only a small number of them can now). You can often get your new title in a week!! It only costs a few dollars more, and it may go through less red tape??? In my area, the Robbinsdale office can do this, but the Golden Valley location cannot.

Troy

Last edited by 66gtk; 01-11-2019 at 07:22 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Note that VIN Verification by a DMV or police officer is often required to license/title a vehicle in a new state. (I won't say always, but it has been my case for every state I've moved to, even my lowly truck had to have state inspection when we moved from CO to NV.)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Note that VIN Verification by a DMV or police officer is often required to license/title a vehicle in a new state. (I won't say always, but it has been my case for every state I've moved to, even my lowly truck had to have state inspection when we moved from CO to NV.)
Definitely NOT required in MN, where the OP lives.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for info guys and sorry for being so quite for so long.
I will try keeping it short.
The car was bought by an auto salvage yard at an auction to resell(car was in prefect condition not salvaged)back in 2012. The cobra was sold as a clean and clear title and filled in Iowa and then some how at a later date the salvage company put same paperwork into there salvaged paperwork pile. The cobra owner titled it in South Dakota with a clean title shortly after purchase. 2018 it went to a consignor(in Nebraska)to seller at an auction in MN(where we bought it). According to Nebraska law the consignor had to file the title there and show it was clean.
With a lot of phone calls and a lot of paperwork chasing by the auction company we bought it from and consignor in Nebraska, MN is issuing us with a clean and clear title.
Thanks again for your info and hope to be out running the roads this summer in it.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congrats on getting that all worked out. Have fun this summer and try not to freeze off any important parts in the meantime.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great news. Thanks for reporting back. I hope to bump into you sometime if you are near the Twin cities metro.