17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 1955 Thunderbird

I have come across this '55 with a 292V8 and automatic transmission. Appears to be a decent surivor car. At issue is that it is in need of a ring gear. The part is available but it looks like the gear is to be welded to the converter.
Has anyone had any experience with this particular issue? Remove engine or transmission?
Also, I have no idea what automatic transmission Ford installed in the year car. Would this be an FMX?

Any help or direction to some sights that can help me would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Terry Riebel
riebel@insightbb.com
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I don't know about the transmission but replacing the ring gear is no big deal. How much are they asking for the car? Let me know if you are not interested.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Unless you split the trans case from the tailshaft in the car and snake it out, transmission removal in a "little Bird" requires the engine be pulled. That said, it is not a big job, just some hoses and a few bolts and it's on the floor.

Do some 55-57 parts vendors searches and you will find most everything you will need if you have a decent, solid car to start with.

Do understand that the little Bird is NOT a "sports car" and is in reality a 1954 Ford that is chopped and sectioned and drives as such.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch-built 427 MR
Not Ranked     

The '55 Bird had the air cooled cast iron "Fordomatic" transmission. I was never able to get one out without breaking the bell housing with a sledge hammer or pulling the engine. You may be able to get it out some other way, tho.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The tranny is not an "FMX" but rather a "medium case MX" that is based on the Borg Warner design. The MX came in three case sizes (the cast iron section between the bellhousing and the tail shaft) and arte all three speed units.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/