19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2022, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct_Cobra View Post
Thanks very much!! Ugh, ok. How ‘bout in front of the shields? Did you need to wrap that area too? You wouldn’t happen to have a picture would you?
I don’t have a picture. Did wrap the front bend as well. My car is an FIA so it doesn’t have exposed collectors just 90 from the pipe to under the car. Not sure what the 427 style headers are doing. I have a set of shields you could borrow for the inspection if you need them. I’m local in Cromwell.

Rich

Last edited by Sargie; 07-16-2022 at 07:40 PM..
Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Let us know what your car gets registered as (1965 composite cobra) and if you get classic plates.

A fellow member went through recently, got 1965, but not classic plates (therefore no property tax cap / protection).

Good Luck!
That tax break is property tax with the town not the state sales tax. It goes on the year only, nothing to do with type of plate. I have 3 vehicle with this town tax break and only 1 has classic plates. Also, the state does not issue the classic plate until after you register it and get a regular plate, then apply for the classic plate from what I remember
Sargie likes this.
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 07-17-2022, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

The classic plate ensures the assessment value is capped for annual property tax. Without it, your town may assess otherwise. Sales tax is different than property tax.

@Ct-Cobra - let’s us know how you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
That tax break is property tax with the town not the state sales tax. It goes on the year only, nothing to do with type of plate. I have 3 vehicle with this town tax break and only 1 has classic plates. Also, the state does not issue the classic plate until after you register it and get a regular plate, then apply for the classic plate from what I remember

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/regi...re-beware.html
Old 07-18-2022, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The classic plate ensures the assessment value is capped for annual property tax. Without it, your town may assess otherwise. Sales tax is different than property tax.

@Ct-Cobra - let’s us know how you make out.
Yes, they could make that mistake like they did when my truck turned 20 years old. One simple phone call and they eagerly fixed it and apologized. No classic plate needed!
Old 07-19-2022, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That hasn’t been the case for composite vehicles. CT DMV has been inconsistent on issuing classic plates for composite vehicles, and my most recent engagement with their legal dept is composite vehicles are NEVER eligible for classic plates. I’m challenging this position with them real time, waiting their final feedback. At minimum, when the chassis is 20 years old, the vehicle should be eligible for classic plates.

My cobra/FFR property tax jumped to $1500 per year. Without the classic plate, you are at the mercy of your town assessors. Phone calls and appeals did nothing to correct or adjust this assessment for me.

Hence why I’m asking Ct-Cobra to share his results once he goes through inspection / registration.

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
Old 07-19-2022, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose if it does not get registered as an old car I could see this. I had no problem registering mine as a 1965. It does say comp on my REG
Sargie and Redfish like this.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I mentioned above, recently a fellow member when through inspection/reg, got 1965, but was denied classic plates.

Were you able to get classic plates?

Old 07-20-2022, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I mentioned above, recently a fellow member when through inspection/reg, got 1965, but was denied classic plates.

Were you able to get classic plates?
Yes, with ZERO issues
Old 07-20-2022, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I understand Connecticut charges property tax on vehicles, but that's a totally foreign (excuse the pun) concept to me. We pay sales tax on the purchase price, but once that's done it's just annual licensing and registration fees.

Question: How many states / municipalities charge property tax each year on vehicles? Is this an exception, or more common than not?
Old 07-20-2022, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I understand Connecticut charges property tax on vehicles, but that's a totally foreign (excuse the pun) concept to me. We pay sales tax on the purchase price, but once that's done it's just annual licensing and registration fees.

Question: How many states / municipalities charge property tax each year on vehicles? Is this an exception, or more common than not?
Every state I've ever lived in has charged some kind of tax on a vehicle to register it. Sales tax is once at time of purchase based on purchase price. The registration tax - excise tax, property tax, etc - is on the bill every year. So far, South Dakota, Iowa, Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, Nevada all have a registration tax. In Colorado and Nevada for the ones I can remember the amount goes down every year until it reaches a minimum. Our Honda CRV hit the min a couple of years ago and will cost me $189 to renew the plates later this month broken down as follows:
Reg: 33.00 (the plates, not tax deductible)
Gov: 125.00 (tax deductible)
Supl gov svcs tax: 31.00 (tax deductible)

There are some states that don't have such a tax but they're in the minority.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That’s awesome.

Unfortunately for me, DMV unwilling to issue classic plates; and the town started levying a $1500 annual property tax.

As I mentioned above, a forum member recently went through and didn’t get classic plates, so DMV is inconsistent on issuing them (or simply no longer issuing them). How long ago did you get your plates?

In either case, when the chassis is 20 years old, these cars should be eligible. DMV tells me they are never eligible.

So I’m stuck. DMV won’t issue the plates, and the town assesses the car like a production car. Like the pregnant lady in the HOV lane says, “You can’t have it both ways” Connecticut.

Hopefully others fair out better…

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Yes, with ZERO issues

Old 07-21-2022, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On my next email back to DMV Legal, I plan to copy ERA and Vintage Motorsports on the response. Both are Connecticut cobra/replica companies. I’m being abused, and need some muscle to get this resolved.

May CC the governor too, since it’s an election year.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Every state I've ever lived in has charged some kind of tax on a vehicle to register it. Sales tax is once at time of purchase based on purchase price. The registration tax - excise tax, property tax, etc - is on the bill every year. So far, South Dakota, Iowa, Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, Nevada all have a registration tax. In Colorado and Nevada for the ones I can remember the amount goes down every year until it reaches a minimum. Our Honda CRV hit the min a couple of years ago and will cost me $189 to renew the plates later this month broken down as follows:
Reg: 33.00 (the plates, not tax deductible)
Gov: 125.00 (tax deductible)
Supl gov svcs tax: 31.00 (tax deductible)

There are some states that don't have such a tax but they're in the minority.
Annual registration fee here is $68 CAD (~$53 USD). Not tax deductible on vehicles for personal use. Same fee for the Cobra as our daily drivers.

No annual taxes on the vehicles.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:53 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I can confirm that DMV will no longer issue Classic Plates for these cars. Even though the law is written that they should be, they have opted to change this policy and it is being enforced at 4 different offices I went to.

This change occurred a few months ago.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I can confirm that DMV will no longer issue Classic Plates for these cars. Even though the law is written that they should be, they have opted to change this policy and it is being enforced at 4 different offices I went to.

This verbiage showed up in the renewal for my daily driver (Nevada)

"Effective January 1, 2023, vehicle owners with Classic/Classic Rod or Old Timer plates must provide proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance and is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles. Customer must provide the declaration page from the insurer for first time registration and/or renewal for classic or antique vehicles. "

(I posted another topic: Nevada classic registration requires classic insurance for discussion)
Old 07-21-2022, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frig. Not what we wanted to see, but aligns with what I mentioned above regarding a fellow forum member recently not getting the plates, even though he got 1965.

Is this change in policy written or publicly available for us to review?

Hopefully none of your future customers live in Middletown, or they are in for a shock every July when the tax bill arrives in their mailbox.

At minimum, we should be eligible at the 20-year mark, like any other vehicle.

I’m very curious in 2023, when the vehicle assessments are MSRP-based, rather than market, how a kit-based replica will be assessed. My 2003 FFR MSRP was $11K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post