Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Default Need Connecticut Tire Changer

If anyone out there knows of a place where I can got a couple of tires changed on my Trigos without getting them abused please let me know. The closer to New Haven the better, but I'll travel.

Bob
Old 04-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I deal with a family owned service station here in northeast Ct, called Kelly's Tire in Putnam Ct. I just had them mount tires on a new set of Trigos I bought as a spare set. They did a perfect job and mounted weights on the inside like I asked.

I also had them a few months ago take a blue dot spare of an original sunburst wheel for me. It wasn't easy but they managed to separate the two without damaging the tire.

They might be farther than you would like to travel buy its just a suggestion.

Jay
Old 04-22-2006, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4236 with a Shelby aluminum 427 "It's The Great Pumpkin"
Not Ranked     

I had mine done by Firestone on the Boston Post Rd. in Branford, CT. They did an excellent job mounting and balancing mine. I have been told that they are the best when it comes to custom rims. They also put the weights on the back where they can't be seen.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Guys:
After the weights were put on the inside were you then able to re-spin and get the machine to read all zeroes?

Bob
Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good question. I was more concerned at the time with the rims not being damaged. I don't remember if they were re-spun.

Jay
Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4236 with a Shelby aluminum 427 "It's The Great Pumpkin"
Not Ranked     

same here.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Cobra 302 roller
Not Ranked     

The firestone in downtown bridgeport (John St) did my tire's & rims
Old 04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Star Tire in West Haven on the Post Road (RT 1) has the most experience in large diameter wheels and tire mounting in all of CT IMHO. They have the rubber coated and teflon anti scratch insterts on their big machines. They are a Tire Rack authorized installer and drop off depot. Star has perhaps the largest stock of rims in CT, with perhaps over 300 rim types in stock.

They have mounted Bridgestone, SO3 Pole Positions on my SC400's SSR GT3's (18" & 19") without batting an eye. They know how to balance them too. They also do the work for most of the Chrysler places in the area as that is where Stevens sent my Crossfire's rims, come to find out.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Art:
I took 2 wheels over to Star last week. Not a wonderful experience. The guy balancing the wheels kept insisting that the weights should only go in the back of the wheel. If the weights are just going on the back why not just do a bubble balance? They also kept changing the settings on the machine during the procedure, which drove me crazy. Some woman at the front desk kept telling me I had front end problems on my car which was home in the garage. I doubt I would go back.

The part that made me the nuttiest was the fact that they must have hundreds of chrome wheels in the place but do not stock chrome weights. All they had was a bunch of big ugly weights. I ended up buying a box of chrome weights over the internet.

Bob
Old 04-23-2006, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 695 w/Shelby alloy block 427#CSX506 w/Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Goodyear in Enfield off of Rte 190 near Bob's can do expensive wheels and mags without out causing blemishes and nicks. Mike
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Bob:
Quick thought... since ERA has many many tires mounted and balanced on their rollers and completed kits... perhaps a call to ERA would reveal who they use in Bristol (since pretty much all of the wheels they do are the pin drive variety). I know for a fact they do not do the mounting and balancing themselves. As for the chromed flat wheel weights... you should probably bring them if you want them. You can also ask Bob Putnam in the ERA forum here the same question.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Bob, in case you are still looking, but not close to New Haven:

Maple Tire Center
63 Windsor Ave Route 83
Vernon CT 06066

860-872-6198

Best to call in advance and make an appointment.

Two man shop, they personally do the mounting, balancing etc. I have used them for a number of years, the last time mounting the forged Fikse wheels on the Corvette

http://www.fikse.com/fm10.html