17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Car fresh from the painter

It's freezing cold today and I didn't feel like working in the shop. So, I am sitting inside, nice and warm, trying to learn how to use my computer!
I built my Corvette based Cobra last year (C5) and now I am working on my new Speedster. I thought that some of you might like to see my 1980lb Speedster wich is under construction.
Some key facts. I built a steel space frame to which the aluminum C5 suspension cradles bolt to. I kept the stock C5 track and wheelbase but moved the engine rearward by 22 inches. The car has 5 inches of ground clearance, is 38 inches tall and 77 inches wide. When I sit in it my head is the height of the head fairing.
I should have it completed soon and cann't wait for spring so that I can drive it!!!: 480fuel injected aluminum LS3 with T56 6 speed tranny.

Yahoo!!!!

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-16-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

John that looks awesome! I'm looking forward to a ride in that in spring too. Did you build the body? It's a great shape and should go and handle like it looks. Stay warm -19 here this a.m.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, the body is an original design. Myself, brother in law Paul, and good friend Mike (body/paint guy) created the shape. It is based upon the styling of the late 50's sport racer, especially the Lister. But, it is not a copy and we made it so that big guys can easily fit in it.
We built a wooden buck, glue foam to it, shaped the foam and then did the last layers in bondo. Then sanded until our arms fell off until we got the shape we wanted. It took months of work. After one side was the way I wanted I then made templates every 2 inches and bonded the edge of the template to the base plug. I removed the templates (1/4 foam board) and filled in the low areas with a contrasting color of bondo. Then sanded down to the contrasting ridges.
The plug was then prepared as for paint. It was clear coated and then wet sanded. Then we made the molds from that. The plug then gets thrown out!!!
This is the fourth time that I have gone through that process as I was not satisfied with the first 3 attempts. This is the final version. I love it! Hope that others will too!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

You've got that hanging from the wheels front like a Dragon. I really like the tail and I'm especially fond of the D type Jag fairings especially behind both heads. Are they structural at all?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have two ideas for the headfairings. I designed them to have an internal three point roll bar hidden under them. Or, I am considering putting a single chrome hoop about 2 inches above each. I haven't settled on all of the details. I designed the Dragons, so this is an evolution of the design. But, I am done now!!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default Who is the Painter?

I would like to find someone that is good and local.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The body work and black paint was done in house. The "true fire" was done by a friend of mine. His name is Dale Flewelling and lives close to me in New Hampshire. PM me if you would like a number for him. John
Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five- 427FE side oiler
Not Ranked     

John, that is very cool. If we get the Ct gang together again this summer for a ride up North, you need to join us with that beauty.

-Steve
Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Great stuff.
Can't wait till Spring as we will make the trek up to see you.
Jeff
Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve, I would love to join you guys for a ride. I realize that this is a Cobra site. I have a Cobra that I built and love it. But, I love lots of other cars too. I am hoping the Cobra guys will accept me at events regardless of which car I drive that day!

Nantucket427 I can try and help you out with your paint situation. Over the past 8 years I have used one guy to help me with body work and paint all of my cars. He has worked at a local body shop and is quite good. I recently hired him full time so he could paint the car for you if you wanted. I am taking the Speedster to Tubular Automotive down by Norwell soon. If you want to see the paint job in person and talk you could meet me there. I feel your pain!!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Can't wait to see that in person. I agree with the D type fairings...a very cool look.

Ron
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Love the design and execution. Very cool to know you'll never have one "just like yours" next to you at a traffic light.
What are you using for a wind screen? I have been toying w/ the idea of chopping my cobra wind screen, but have been told that it is lamenated glass and a raw top edge will look horrible

Nice work,
Chris
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used windshield grade, scratch resistant LEXAN. In New Hampshire it's legal but you would have to verify that in your state. I used 1/4 inch. This material takes the shape easily and holds up pretty good.

I have chopped down lamenated glass and I slit fuel line and glued it across the top. The weave of the core shows through the black rubber coating and looks a little like carbon fiber. Have had it on a car for 8 years now and still looks good.