LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
That's a pretty good price if it was numbers matching or at least date code correct. But I assume it was just a "standard" '67 GT500 as the KR's didn't start until '68, right?
Doug,

You are right, about the 1968. This was a 1968 GT-500KR as I just looked at a picture of it that they had taken and was posted in the paper. No For Sale signs are allowed at the car show but he had them at the show and shines all week. It was advertised as a numbers matching car with all original stuff and only some belts and hoses had been replaces with OEM ones. It had about 50K miles on it I believe. Paint looked good. I think the car was from Nevada or Arizona one.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
David, your still screwed up on how this works, thats a fact.

You would be a fool to buy a Mustang and then show up in Vegas expecting SAI to turn it into a GT-350 for you.
Never said you buy a Mustang and show up in Vegas and expect SAI to turn it into a GT 350,or did I???????? I looked at my earlier posts and don't see that anywhere in my posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So please explain to me exactly how I screwed up on how this works.......You,know,I just a dumb cajun form Louisiana!!!!!!!!

As per SAI:
Quote:
The Shelby GT350 is a post title program; a customer purchases a car from their local Ford Dealer, which is turned into a GT350 by the Shelby American Team. A limited number will be built in the 2011 model year. A Ford Mustang GT can be dropped shipped by a Ford dealer to Shelby’s Las Vegas facility for conversion or a customer can arrange to have a properly specified car transported to the factory. The Shelby GT350 up-fit completed by Shelby American has a MSRP of $33,995 and does not include the price of the base car.
I would assume a customer would contact SAI first and make arrangements/payments to have a car transformed into a GT 350, then purchase the car, then ship it to SAI.....

You have a knack for taking things out of context and making up things to suit your needs when you realize you just stuck your foot in your mouth........Just like when you reviewed my post and made the statement that CR was not using Dynacorn bodies, insinuating that I said or referred to that, when in fact, in my post, I never mentioned CR or anything to do with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I said was that Dynacorn makes 67/68 Mustang bodies, did you not read this part or did you not understand this part???????

David (dumb cajun)
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Doug,

You are right, about the 1968. This was a 1968 GT-500KR as I just looked at a picture of it that they had taken and was posted in the paper. No For Sale signs are allowed at the car show but he had them at the show and shines all week. It was advertised as a numbers matching car with all original stuff and only some belts and hoses had been replaces with OEM ones. It had about 50K miles on it I believe. Paint looked good. I think the car was from Nevada or Arizona one.

Ron
Wish I had the dough, although I'd prefer a '67.

Oh, I heard that Amy definitely left.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You,know,I just a dumb cajun form Louisiana!!!!!!!!
Well thats one fact you got right...

Like I said, the process for today is similiar to what it was in 1965 for a GT-350. The base Mustang, with proper specs, is shipped to SAI for the conversion. NOT to one of the many Shelby authorized mod centers.

Ford is covering their butt this time around by making sure the customer pay's or can pay up front. In 1965 they didn't have that luxury. Ford HAD to turn out a 1,000 (I believe that was the number) of "production Shelbys" in order to qualify for the SCCA race events. You could order a Mustang from a Ford dealer, just like today, and the up-grade cost to make it a Shelby was about $1,100 over the base price. Today it's about $30,000 over the base price. Just like in 1965 there is only ONE place to get those modifications done, Shelbys place, Vegas this time around.

Classic Recreations is not using a Dyna body, the point is moot.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-22-2010 at 06:38 AM..
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Like I said, the process for today is similiar to what it was in 1965 for a GT-350. The base Mustang, with proper specs, is shipped to SAI for the conversion. NOT to one of the many Shelby authorized mod centers.
We may have to talk on the phone.

This is NOT like 1965. You keep saying that and it is incorrect.
In 1965, you bought a GT350 off the Dealer's lot.

Today, you buy a Mustang GT off the Dealer's lot and pay the dealer for it...

you take ownership.

You then ship the car to Vegas for the upfit. You pay Shelby for the modifications and the new DNA as a GT350.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Dumb Cajun?????

MY ASS!

Dat Boy Boudreaux can drive circles around most of us! I'se seen it!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
We may have to talk on the phone.

This is NOT like 1965. You keep saying that and it is incorrect.
In 1965, you bought a GT350 off the Dealer's lot.

Today, you buy a Mustang GT off the Dealer's lot and pay the dealer for it...

you take ownership.

You then ship the car to Vegas for the upfit. You pay Shelby for the modifications and the new DNA as a GT350.
Please speak slowly and use dry erase board for additional help with big pretty pictures.

We might have to break out the hand puppets too to show the buyers and the SAI personnel.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We may have to Ron!

The point is you CANNOT take your Mustang, old or new, to some authorized Shelby mod center for this conversion. You CAN take your shiny new or used Mustang to a Mod Center for all the other conversions, not the GT-350. Shelby is the only game in town, SIMILIAR to the way it was in 1965 when the conversion was done solely by Shelby in Shelbys place of business, as authorized by Ford.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
We may have to Ron!

The point is you CANNOT take your Mustang, old or new, to some authorized Shelby mod center for this conversion. You CAN take your shiny new or used Mustang to a Mod Center for all the other conversions, not the GT-350. Shelby is the only game in town, SIMILIAR to the way it was in 1965 when the conversion was done solely by Shelby in Shelbys place of business, as authorized by Ford.
Evan, izzat you?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

The reason for the whole process of "post-title modification" is 95% because of CARB regulations and the standards for a production based vehicle (like a GT500 that was engineered and built by SVT) vs. a Shelby Vegas modified GT350. When you are doing a post title modification the CARB requirements are much more relaxed than if it is coming directly from the factory.

I'm sure the other 5% (if not more) of the reason for a post-title modification has to do with FMVSS (crash and lighting) regulations, dealers not getting stuck with inventory they cannot sell, Ford not wanting to warranty something they didn't engineer, and Shelby paying their bills for inventory of cars on their lot which was supposedly an issue on previous programs.

As for ordering and shipping the car the intent, as I understand it, is that you go into your local dealer and order/pay for a car (not buy one off the lot) and give them Shelby's drop ship location. Shelby, Saleen, Roush, and many others have their own drop-ship code, which is similar to a dealer code. Basically it is a location in the Ford ordering system to tell where the car is supposed to be shipped to when it leaves the Flat Rock Assembly plant in Michigan. This shipment is done at no additional cost to the buyer if the car is ordered.

I'm sure that if you can get a killer deal on a donor car (that matches the specs that Shelby wants to build it from) you could buy it off the lot and then ship it to SAI for the modification. Unfortunately finding a car that meets these specs on a dealer lot might be difficult.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

It seems like alot of the confusion here is based on the press release at the top of this thread that says the new Mustangs are "in transit", leading us to believe that this is like back in the day, when Ford sent 'ol Shel a batch of white Mustangs to do his thing with....

Quote from above:

"LAS VEGAS – April 20, 2010 – The board of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. (CSBI:PK) has announced today that production is ramping up for the first shipment of Ford Mustang GT’s, which are in transit to be transformed into Shelby GT350’s at its Shelby American subsidiary in Las Vegas. In addition, the company continues to grow its Shelby Performance Parts division with products for the 2005-2011 Ford Mustang, GT500 and Shelby GT."
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As I see it, the only significant difference between then ('65) and now is the paperwork that gets a stock factory Mustang to Shelby HQ for transformation to a GT-350. One could argue they are not the same pedigree, their "clones" or "continuations" or "new" or whatever, OK, I get that. The first Mustangs to arrive at Shelby HQ were totally stock, right off the show room floor stock, with particular specifications. Later the specs changed and the cars were "stripped down" to a greater degree AT the Ford factory before being delivered to Shelby. Perhaps we will see that repeated as time goes on?

In '65 it was a collabaration with a number of parties to come up with the specs for a new GT-350 that could compete in SCCA events and still have a decent warranty. The primary motivator, for Ford, was to address the competition, GM and Chrysler. Shelby was their solution, the GT-350 was the end result. Shelby turned them out on what was essentially an assembly line, making 5 to 7 cars a day.

The new ones are also a collaboration of many different people coming up with spec's that will allow it to compete with GM or Chrysler and still retain a decent warranty. Sounds like Shelby is once again taking an "assembly line" approach to build the new ones.

John McM, your comment did crack me up.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-22-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As I see it, the only significant difference...
I guess you're right; don't know how I missed that.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

From the book "The Cobra-Ferrari Wars", first printing. Just a look at back in the day:
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Ron61 could not agree more , why pay more for a Clone/replica than an original . At the last Rm ? auction (not 100% it was RM ) estimate was 50-70 for a 68' brought 91'....just like BJ .....maybe owners' are trying to slow down the price correction I believe Classic Recreation didn't realize the market was going to correct it self so quickly , that being said resto-mods still seem very strong $ at auction .
SDR
________
Mazda savanna specifications

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ford could have built a GT-350 today, without Shelby, who needs him? Ford did build GT-350's in 1984, didn't need Shelby then. The 175 horse 302 or the really cool FOUR cylinder with a turbo were available options. They also came with some nice "stripes", and that about covers it. It was pretty much a "fail" without Shelby, maybe today they could do better, maybe, maybe not...
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
That's a pretty good price if it was numbers matching or at least date code correct. But I assume it was just a "standard" '67 GT500 as the KR's didn't start until '68, right?
Here you go. A numbers matching '68 GT500KR with all the paperwork, Marti report etc. A friend of mine's car. I've seen it in person and it's all as advertised. This ad was in Hemmings a while ago. I know he was motivated to move it at the time. Why not have the real deal??
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

I must be getting old , that's way to small for me to read
SDR
________
Cancer - Skin Advice

Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayaurora View Post
I must be getting old , that's way to small for me to read
SDR
I'll say...

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Old 04-22-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

nice !
SDR
________
Ford zephyr picture