Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbrown View Post
Where did you get the 35 MPG figure ? What does Lutz,s retirement have any bearing on the Volt . Yes I would put my family in one . Gasoline is far more dangerest in an accident . Lets see, we have towed in two Fords with Key switches fires , one burned down there home , Any number of SUV,s with Firestone tire failures causing accidents , my point is it is a risk in any number of cars out there . Rumors , bad scare tactics . and half truth are a problem and worst for GM from the" Hate America First"" Hate Unions " groups . I would like to know how a number of imports have dangers cars on the road and have no news media to pick up on it and know recalls for years . We have seen this for years . Double Standard ? You be the judge .
Do you have any idea how dangerous electric cars are????? I do.....the voltage/amperage in these vehicles can kill you in a nano secound.....mechainics and body repairmen must going to schools/training 4 times a year just to keep up with this so they don't get electrocuted while working on them. Not even taking into the account of electrocution that could easily happen in an accident!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Is in excellent condition to continue to compete in the global market. To even imagine that the United States would allow the auto industry to implode as a result of a collapse of the credit makets and the manipulation of the price of oil is just nuts. Thanks to quick and smart action in restructuring of the product line, the labor agreements, the dealership network...etc a catastrophe was averted.
WASHINGTON — Taxpayers will lose about $14 billion in the government's $80 billion bailout of Chrysler and GM, the White House said Wednesday, portraying the outcome as good news since the losses are far lower than originally anticipated.

Seizing on the figures, the Obama administration took credit for the resurgence of the U.S. auto industry, assuring taxpayers that the government's bailout of Chrysler and GM was an investment worth making.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbrown View Post
Where did you get the 35 MPG figure ? What does Lutz,s retirement have any bearing on the Volt . Yes I would put my family in one . Gasoline is far more dangerest in an accident . Lets see, we have towed in two Fords with Key switches fires , one burned down there home , Any number of SUV,s with Firestone tire failures causing accidents , my point is it is a risk in any number of cars out there . Rumors , bad scare tactics . and half truth are a problem and worst for GM from the" Hate America First"" Hate Unions " groups . I would like to know how a number of imports have dangers cars on the road and have no news media to pick up on it and know recalls for years . We have seen this for years . Double Standard ? You be the judge .
35mpg, I own one thats where I got it from.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
The crash test for this and any electric vehicle require that the power source (the Battery) at the scene of an accident and remain disconnected while the vehicle is being stored or while body repairs are being done. Most Fire crews have had special training regarding ALL electric vehicles. With the available amprege available from the Batteries Electric vehicles pose a new concern that has not been prevelant before. GM is sensitive to any customer concerns for any of its vehicles, this is a case of Sensationalized Journalism. They are looking for a story, and want to pour GASOLINE on it.
I like how you state MOST fire crews, have had special training, what about the ones that havent.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
Do you have any idea how dangerous electric cars are????? I do.....the voltage/amperage in these vehicles can kill you in a nano secound.....mechainics and body repairmen must going to schools/training 4 times a year just to keep up with this so they don't get electrocuted while working on them. Not even taking into the account of electrocution that could easily happen in an accident!!!!!!!!!

David
There are a few shops in phx area that wont even touch an electric car for the reason you state above, good info to know.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351w
Not Ranked     

I'll take a VW TDI over a hybrid any day of the week, and when the batteries on you Volt won't hold a charge, how much will a replacement pack cost? I like the idea of electric cars, but I don't see them as having less of an environmental impact than other small fuel efficient vehicles.
I believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
WASHINGTON — Taxpayers will lose about $14 billion in the government's $80 billion bailout of Chrysler and GM, the White House said Wednesday, portraying the outcome as good news since the losses are far lower than originally anticipated.

Seizing on the figures, the Obama administration took credit for the resurgence of the U.S. auto industry, assuring taxpayers that the government's bailout of Chrysler and GM was an investment worth making.
Exactly...the Gov might have made a profit with their shares had they held them, but for a variety of reason's , mostly political, they sold them as soon as possible. I understand that 1 in 6 jobs in America are dependent upon the auto industry and that even GM's Japanese and European competitors lobbied for a "bailout" as they are also dependent on the same suppliers that also would have gone down. It was just pucking brilliant and the Feds did what every investor has known for years and the pucking Board and Management at GM were unwilling or unable to do....
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

The goverment is still holding a large amount of GM stock , they did not sell all of it. And it saved the the goverment a large amount by not having to make up the retiered pension fund . And yes you need to be trained to handle the repairs to the Volt . The reason I wrote in this thread was to clear up some of the B>S> on the news like the radio station stated that GM was forced to buy back the VOLT . I sell Chevrolets for over forty years and I,m not a fan of electric power cars but they are here to say and taking cheap shots at the VOLT does not help. I have two customers that have went weeks with out the gas engine starting . Now what is there MPG ?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

The goal here is not to replace the gas engine but to explore and develop new technology for those that wish to reduce our dependance on Arab oil.

For those of you that don't care, keep doing what you're doing. But, with the Arabs becoming more and more hostile, oil dependency will be the nail in our coffin.

Once again, hats off to GM for taking the first step to provide an alternative. Granted it's not perfect, new technology never is. But each generation will be better than the last.

So, while the middle east continues to show instability, I, for one, am glad some car companys are developing alternative technology because he who controls the oil, controls the world. And I'm not comfortable with all those nut jobs in the middle east that keep blowing themselves up. Eventually, they will unite and stick it to all of us.

It's not about mileage, never has been. It's about having alternatives in case the worst happens.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
The goal here is not to replace the gas engine but to explore and develop new technology for those that wish to reduce our dependance on Arab oil.

For those of you that don't care, keep doing what you're doing. But, with the Arabs becoming more and more hostile, oil dependency will be the nail in our coffin.

Once again, hats off to GM for taking the first step to provide an alternative. Granted it's not perfect, new technology never is. But each generation will be better than the last.

So, while the middle east continues to show instability, I, for one, am glad some car companys are developing alternative technology because he who controls the oil, controls the world. And I'm not comfortable with all those nut jobs in the middle east that keep blowing themselves up. Eventually, they will unite and stick it to all of us.

It's not about mileage, never has been. It's about having alternatives in case the worst happens.

Lets just drill in the USA, plenty of oil here, and I mean plenty.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

The Volts m.p.g. depends on how far you drive. With a fully charged battery the first 35 miles are electric only, after that the gas engine starts to only charge the batterys. A 30 mile round trip to work every day will use no gas. ( If all goes well) We sold about a dozen at work so far and they have only come back for reprograming recalls.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I couldn't agree more. But good luck with the tree huggers and environmentalists. They have good lawyers that can tie up the process for decades!

Last edited by jhv48; 12-02-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Because oil is sold on a world wide market (just like the oil already being pumped out of U.S. soil, and yes, we export most of it). Why would anyone sell U.S. oil for less than they can get on the global market? THEY WON'T. That's like saying, "I know I can sell my Cobra overseas for $100K but I want it to stay in the U.S. so I'm willing to sell it for $40K". It just ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Where did you get that information

Quote:
Do you have a source for that statement ? If so, I would appreciate it if you could take a minute and link or direct me to it...thanks in advance for your trouble...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Google, Anwr Alaska, and then just keep the google search going, plenty of oil, I mean plenty.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Google, Anwr Alaska, and then just keep the google search going, plenty of oil, I mean plenty.
Don't over look Shale Oil & Gas
Oil Shale: Natural Gas Shale: Oil Shale Stocks

In the past year I have signed leases for Oil & Gas drilling on 2 of my farms in West Texas.

Fracking has changed everything.There is more oil in North Dakota than Saudi.

We can be independent of the Middle East.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ya right

Roughly, the US consumes about 25% of the world production...we import about 50%...we have about 2% of the oil reserves...no one has recovered a significant amount of oil from shale at a competitive price...I hope you don't trade oil futures... moving on...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

You are uninformed.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmatth View Post
I'll take a VW TDI over a hybrid any day of the week, and when the batteries on you Volt won't hold a charge, how much will a replacement pack cost? I like the idea of electric cars, but I don't see them as having less of an environmental impact than other small fuel efficient vehicles.
Diesel cars are a great alternative. New diesels are clean, get great mileage, and have tons of torque. My BMW 335d has has 265 HP/425 ft lbs torque and gets 32 mpg on my commute and 36+ mpg on road trips.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Diesel cars are a great alternative. New diesels are clean, get great mileage, and have tons of torque. My BMW 335d has has 265 HP/425 ft lbs torque and gets 32 mpg on my commute and 36+ mpg on road trips.
The Jetta tdi gets 35 mpg automatic and almost 50 mpg in manual form, and it is very quite to boot. I love the German Diesel cars.