Old 11-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Default South African Shelby CSX4000 plant behind but progressing nicely

Hello to all,

This memo is mostly addressed to customers that have placed deposits on the new CSX4000 cars that are in production at the facilities in Cape Town however it sounds like the rumor mill also needs some updating on the issues as well.

I had hoped to update our customers on a more personel basis through the dealer network but could not delay any longer due to the mis-information flying about on the site.

Although we have run into production delays at the plant in Cape Town we have by no means shut down or slowed down on the process of getting up to full production. The bulk of the delays have been due to the demands of Shelby that the product is a true representation of our CSX4000 Series Cobra Component Vehicle. Shelby will not compromise the quality of their products and is making every effort possible to guarntee the units are built to our standards and quality.

Through past experience I know several of the skeptics out there will turn this into just another excuse by Shelby but this too will pass in short time.

I just returned after a ten day visit and inspection of the facilities and production in Cape Town and am pleased to report that we have 16 production units in process at this time and are in the process of installing two more units per week into filling the system.

Although our original schedule had called for the completion of the first twenty units by January 1, we have reduced that figure to six complete and twenty in process in order to insure the units are built to the above mentioned standards.

When we are in full production and producing ten units per month starting in March of 2004 we will have aprox. 35 units in production at the South African facility and six to eight completed units in transit at any given time.

I want to make sure to state that Carroll Shelby, SAI and CAV are totally dedicated to this project and that we are sorry for any delays in getting you your Cobra. I will be putting out a status report on my trip addressed to our independant dealers this coming Monday and they will of course forward it to each of you that has placed or plans to place an order for a 427 S/C Cobra.

FYI: CAV has several facilities to include a 25,000 sq. ft composite plant, a 18,000 sq. ft automotive assembly plant, 14,000 sq. ft marine assembly plant as well as several remote offices throughout Cape Town, South Africa with aproximately 110 employees in total. Superformance is located in Port Elizebeth, Soth Africa, aprox 500 miles from Cape Town so please don't take a Taxi if you wish to see both facilities in the same day.

Thank you,

R Brent Fenimore
Shelby American
Old 11-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Thanks, for the info.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 12-01-2003, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heading the 289FIA route, ERA is the choice du jour
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for making a statement

Mr. Fenimore:
Though I don't have an order in place yet for a SAI/CAV CSX4000, I would like to express my gratitude for your candor and your settling of the rumor mill. It is always nice to get the definitive word from a credible source, rather than sifting through the unsubstatiated rumors that fly about on ClubCobra, or elsewhere.
As a genuinely interested Shelby Cobra fan (if you ask my wife, she'd use the term, "obsessed") I'd like to encourage you to periodically post updates as the cars are finished and delivered. It won't take long for the rumor mill to start grinding again, and periodic updates from Shelby American could attenuate the rumor effect, while providing free publicity for your cars.
I enthusiastically anticipate purchasing one of the SAI/CAV CXS4000 Cobras in 12 - 18 months, and factory delays due to a focus on quality does not dampen my enthusiasm whatsoever. I look forward to placing my order and getting my hands on MY CSX4000.

Sincerely,
Douglas King
Old 12-01-2003, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent F.,

Thank you for your note. As an individual who sold a very nice 67 GT-500 to purchase one of the S.A. Cobra's I feel somewhat better reading the note. With 10K hanging out there, I have lost some sleep over this informal purchasing process.

My CSX number is 4766, So if I understand your note correctly my car should be in production now. My Dealer, Mitch Hughs and Bob Marsh, when putting down my deposit said I should expect delivery in Mid December. One of the many questions I have is, how many days is my car pushed back, or when should I expect it to arrive?

What I would like to see is:

The Shelby Automobile web site updates on a regular basis to keep owners informed as to what is taking place so we are not left to guess what is going on.

Or the other option would be, a letter or e-mail sent to me and other owners as to what is taking place in the production process.

I should not have to depend on Club Cobra to get vital information on the purchase of my CSX 4000.

Sincerely,
Morgan LeBlanc
Old 12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the update. I was half stunned to see the mention of SPF in there!! I do not think I will be touring either facility but am curious whether or not you did??
Old 12-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

red csx
YOU SOLD WHAT TO ACCUIRE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes that is correct, I sold a Nightmist Blue 67 GT-500 that took 3rd at the SAAC Nationals in CA. Let me say my wife sure was excited by it by the sale. The money was a fair amount, but man did I invest a lot of late night hours into that Shelby. I think my whole neighborhood thought I was nuts.

Morgan
Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

red csx
i think you've just certified yourself as being nuts.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Indeed. Certifiable.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, Maybe I am. We will find out how crazy I am in a few months. There are already things I would have done differently and its still early in the process.

Morgan
Old 12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

............it's only just begun....................sorry, been there done that
Old 12-14-2003, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I recently visited the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and was very impressed with the professionalism and knowledge of SAI. I had a chance to inspect the South Africa Prototype and could barely tell the difference between the US models. The staff was very informative and cordial, and took significant time to discuss the construction, options and differences between the 20 or so cars in the shop. My thanks to Bob Marsh and the SAI staff for their hospitality.

Bob Marsh pointed out the following differences and issues:
1. Paint: Although high quality, the paint jobs are not $8000-grade...what can you expect for $42,500? However, the paint jobs looked pretty good.
2. Prototype did not have rolled fenders, but this is one reason why they had production delays...delivered models will be rolled.
3. No options available at this time given that they are trying to "ramp up" production of stock units. If you want customization, Bob suggested that waiting would be best.

SAI is a full blown custom race shop and anyone experienced in building race cars knows that there is significant "intellectual property" and learnings related to customization of specific vehicles. For example, additional side-impact protection (roll cages) and suspension beefing requires hands on experience...South Africa will need some time to learn some of these techniques. Thus I don't see #3 as a negative, but part of a natural learning curve.

Question: Does anyone have an opinion as to whether a "split market" will develop for US vs. SA built cobras? i.e., will there be two prices depending upon the country manufactured?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmmmm, OK, I'll take the bait...........my paint is beautiful and about 6 grand less

Brian
Old 12-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ha ha,,,,, Yeah, whats an $8K paint job look like anyway? I bet the paint will be terrific and you would be hard pressed to tell it from an "$8K" paint job.

Ernie
Old 12-14-2003, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to The Deacon Send a message via Yahoo to The Deacon
Not Ranked     
Default Delays and Desires

Guys...

Here is the thing, if you sell any vintage Shelbys to purchase a SA Car, then I have to think you have just left the world of reality and insanity has set in, to say the least. As to whether or not there will be a split market on Original Cobras versus the car being built in South Africa...OF COURSE THERE WILL BE!!! The car that is being built in South Africa maybe a "true" (whatever that means) representation of the original, but the fact will remain it was NOT built here, and it is not an original! This is only a way for the masses to get a replica of a Shelby, and for Carroll and company to go on with other projects and such. The only "true original" cobras are the ones built in the 1960's, and even the CSX3000 being built today are not originals. I for one think that the delays on getting everyone there Cars from SA are probably due to quality issues, and the attempt by Shelby Automobiles to get it as right as they think it should be, but that does not do away with the fact that these are not originals. I guess Shelby had to do something to compete with Superformance in the "less-expensive" Cobra market...Give me your thoughts guys...
Old 12-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I could understand someone selling a GT-350 or 500 or whatever to buy a CAV Cobra. The question for me would be: Why not???

If the time is right, youv'e oened the car long enough, the money is good, move on to something else. Doesn't mean you have to spend ALL the money either!

Ernie
Old 12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Deacon,

Welcome to Club Cobra.

Why don't you take a week or so and read up on some of the endless threads that have been generated on this subject? Your comments are appreciated, and valid, but your points have been made a thousand (it seems) times by many others.

Pat Buckley

Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to The Deacon Send a message via Yahoo to The Deacon
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the welcome

I guess I have not been as involved as I should have been on here. I have had some first hand knowledge of things that maybe you don't have.... Anyhow, as to why you would not sell a actual shelby for a CAV Cobra, is more then obvious. The big reason is that one is real, and one is not.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

.....If we are talking FINANCIAL reasons ONLY.....then no, it doesn't make "cents" to sell your GT-350 or 500 to purchase a CAV Cobra. ...But I don't think that's the reason people would do such a thing. I would say that for the most part, (and this is just MHO) that most of us here own these cars for the "love" and respect we have for the Cobra. A lot of this group grew up with them, idled them (or Shelby), and have dreamed of one day owning one. ......They are not our 401K or part of a retirement plan. They are, in fact, TOYS. We didn't buy them because they were a nice, safe, family car, and we were looking for something the wife could haul the kids around in. They sit in the garage, and when we get "the urge".....we go out and play. They are a spark in our lives that makes a long week at work, a little easier to cope with once Saturday rolls around and we head out to the garage and fire her up. We are kids, at heart......and the car helps keep us young. If someone wants to sell their GT-350 or 500 for a CAV Cobra, it is most likely because they are tired of one toy and they want to play with another (just like kids!).
I say God bless 'em, buy what ever car you want, .......and go have some FUN!

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 12-15-2003 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-14-2003, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

I sold an original 1999 Silverado half ton to buy my ERA.
I wish I still had that thing. That was a nice Cobra.

TURK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: