28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2003, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 323
Not Ranked     

JBL Richard, Thank you for your kind words, your a true technoloical innovator in this industry. Why my decision JBL+600HP+Road Race+My ability=2 Orphans or (Kirkham+600HP+Bench Race) + (Retired Nascar+800HP+Road Race)=Long Life MotoCross has personally given me all the pain and death I want to see in this lifetime Regards Tom
Old 12-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Al,

I'm serious, this is really killing me... I remember the conversation we had, but sometimes a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do. I keep bouncing back and forth from the Kirkham site to the Southern Automotive site and then to my phonebook with my brokers number - talk about a devils triangle.

The good news is so far nobody has made me an offer - so I might come out OK on this.

- Dan
Old 12-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately...

"If battleships were selling for a penny a pound, all I could do would be to run up and down on the dock, screaming: 'What a deal! What a deal!'".

Well, perhaps that's not entirely true. I love the car I have and wouldn't want to part with it but this will be a wonderful opportunity for (10) somebody(s).

David: I really admire you guys, both for your product and your attitude.

Brent: Well, there ya go. Why don't you buy all ten of 'em?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Decker

JBL Richard, Thank you for your kind words, your a true technoloical innovator in this industry. Why my decision JBL+600HP+Road Race+My ability=2 Orphans or (Kirkham+600HP+Bench Race) + (Retired Nascar+800HP+Road Race)=Long Life MotoCross has personally given me all the pain and death I want to see in this lifetime Regards Tom
Tom.

As you and others may know, I have never been an advocate of 600 hp in one of these types of cars.

(Unless it is a race car only. Then you can never have too much.)

As a point to support my thinking.

Chuck Miller's JBL has a bone stock FMS 351 crate engine. This car is used almost daily, (40k miles at this time) has served as a parts delivery car, and is used up and down the coast between San Diego and Carmel with abandon. (He must be a madman to drive it in LA freeway traffic.)

But with only a tire change to Hoosiers, it is always in the top 5 "Cobras" at Willow Springs.

But, you are correct. For bench racing, 600 hp is perfect.

By the way, I certainly understand about motorcycles, I gave them up early on. Everytime I got on one, it spit me off. I did not even have to start them, just get on it and I would find myself in very close proximity to the ground

Once again, Great choice of car. You will be more than pleased with the Kirkham.

Richard Hudgins
Old 12-31-2003, 09:12 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hudgins

Once again, Great choice of car. You will be more than pleased with the Kirkham.
That is some compliment coming from you Richard! I want one of each in my garage!

By the way, did you get that spreadsheet I sent you?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boy do I hate to see this kind of thing going on. The idea of cheaper cars to a relatively small group is great, but does it really represent a good understanding of marketing 101, as someone suggested. As I recall marketing, one also has to consider one's largest customer when making decisions like this. Maybe this was done. Maybe Dave is ready to write off Shelby business, their largest customer. Having worked with both parties, with no present connection to either, I hope things cool down and reason prevails. This isn't good marketing except to the lucky few. This is simply "I'll bet I can take more pain than you can!" between two elephants in our nice little industry. Not sustainable in the long run.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:28 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Wayne I would agree there are many scenarios here. I look at it like a sale. Every one runs a sale now and again. Besides, every hear of a 'loss leader'? Common marketing tactic. When gas stations used to have gas wars, how long where the lines? Besides, 40K for a CAV SAI car or this Kirkham....... no brainer for me. As for whats up with Kirkham and SAI, who knows. Even if I did know the inside deal I would not post it here!

Dave and Tom, how much for the trade dress rights for Shelby?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Wayne

Just a thought. How about having a talk with someone in your vicinity about Marketing 101 and what affect discussing such things in public with one's main supplier has? Seems to me that one ought to take care with one's own house before commenting on one's neighbor's house.

Go back and read...David was clearly looking to do a one-off deal. Seems to me that you ought to suggest to Brent that he could've picked up the phone and talked to David privately about any REAL questions he might have had.

The moderators have worked overtime recently trying to keep things calm in the Shelby specific forum where folks are asking all kinds of questions about CAV, and delivery dates, etc., because we felt that an mfg. ought to be able to converse with their customers about such things without interference. In essence, Brent jumping into a Kirkham thread was no different than a "mechanic" or "a friend" jumping into a Shelby thread.

Wayne, I really think you care enough about SA to want to see it move forward with positive steps instead of constantly putting out fires because of public missteps that need not have happened. Might I suggest you have a discussion with Brent about your concerns before you analyze what is wrong with someone else's approach?

I sincerely hope the holidays are good to you, Wayne, and best wishes for the New Year.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo

Thanks for your thoughful comments. I am not sure we really disagree. I think I did allude to two elephants taking part in this dance.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Gentlemen:

It is 9:50 am MST...

Just took another couple of calls.

It's 10:50 MST.

Seven cars sold since 8:00 o'clock...3 left.

Interestingly, most people do not want their cars until June. I guess we will deliver them whenever the customers want them.

We don't bluff.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wayne ,

I am sure you have forgotten more obout this bussiness than I will ever know.....

But.....I cant believe the Kirkam brothers are doing this on a whim or a dare.......as a probable future customer , I have watched them pretty closely for a couple of years on this site .....I have not seen a false move yet........Selling on volume can make more $ than on margin.....I REALLY doubt this is a loss leader ......What possible purpose could it serve?

SA made a big move in the industry a few weeks ago ....Kirkham is not rolling over .........no surprise there !

The delicate relationship between these two companies has got to bring a wry smile to anyone who contemplates it...it is the stuff of great novels.....I think they know what they are doing ...

KK
Old 12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll just say that I wish I could........

Oh, and Brent - we know you're lurking - See the comments from JBL - very appropriate way to speak of one's competitor.....

David
Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

These guys have probably forgotten more about running a business than I have ever known... but a quick calculation shows;

A price cut of 20% with a gross margin of 25%, (just pulling numbers out of the air... it looks like the price cut was more like 33% and I have no idea of their margins), would require an increase in units sold of 400%.

The point is only that when you reduce price you have to sell more just to get back to where you started... course it all depends on maintaining or lowering your cost, but it looks like it's working; 7 cars in a couple of hours.

Congrats to the Kirkhams and the buyers - wish I could be there too.

- Dan

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 12-31-2003 at 10:34 AM..
Old 12-31-2003, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

I read somewhere on this forum that Shelby is back with
AC cars and they are to make new aluminum AC Cobras. Somewhere on some island, Malta I think. All I know is that If I were the Kirkhams I would have to look hard at this and make a business decision based on that knowledge. Being ahead of the game is why the Kirkhams are still around.

Hersh
Old 12-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Years Ago

Not sustainable in the long run.
I agree.

P.S. Anybody on here know how to teach elephants to dance?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Dave:

Just got back form being out of town for the holiday and read your thread.

Has everything been sold as of now or are any cars still available.

jim v.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. Even as someone who has more than $42,000 in my KMP, I think that what David is doing is absolutely great. Talk about keeping your competition honest! Great fun to watch from the sidelines.

I'm no expert.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:58 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent,
You referred to my crystal ball in your post. Can you help me out with these photos?
Attached Images

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The first photos is self explanatory, but the second......
Attached Images

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Lew

I like that "J" model designation. LMAO