Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra International body Waltech frame
Not Ranked     
Default Support SPF into Canada

We want our American friends to spread the gospel of how wrong it is to not allow SPF into Canada. As some of you may not know, a ridiculous battle in court has been dragged on with tax payers holding the bill. No reason for this. It began as a personal vendetta with a ministry of Transport officer and his hate for SPF and all rollers.

http://www.csx427sc.citymax.com/boar...307/348051.htm

Last edited by Venamm; 04-26-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry

The crazy rule of the ministry of Transport Canada, the only FFR can go in Canada i think they know some one in the gouvernement, because they have a lot of free pass . Like they dont kneed to be aprouved by engineer from Canada, i am using the same light but the front maker on my kit or not legal (SEA not on the light), i need a side maker, back up light , the bumpsteer on my kit have to be check by the engineer, ect...small thing but a lot of frustration. If i take my experienve to be aprove by Transport Canada it a lot of pain ,if they want i will need to have a certificate from an engineer for every kit sale in quebec this certificate cost around 3500$ you have to add this on top of the price of the kit. Maybe this is the same problem SPF, Backdraft , ERA , Unique , RCR and all the other compagny have to face to go across the canadian border...

Don,
Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Don,

I believe that is a problem going either direction. I have a friend who took his whole chassis someplace in Canada to have it assembled as they do the Cam Am stuff. He told me that they checked every piece of it right down to how many bolts he had and marked them. When he went to get it he spent a few hours standing while they dug out their records and checked that every piece of the assembled chassis was the same piece that he took up there. He said it cost him way to much and if he built another car, he had found a place back East that would do it for him. He races in the SCCA here and said he had never thought anything about something like that or he would never have gone to that place to start with.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
I guess you can sympathise then. We all know DD makes a awesome roller. Keep up the good work and we are proud to have you on board. Spread the word we want this stopped.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: D&D
Not Ranked     
Default Buy Canadian

If memory is still ok SPF tried to pull a fast one on Transport Can. by importing "car parts" when the "parts" were bolted together and only needed a motor and trans to be done. Trans. Can. then went on a witch hunt against all kit car manufactures. Factory Five spent a fair bit of money and time to get Trans. Can . to allow their kits into Canada but it can't be the sum total of a car that could be drivable hence the missing parts. After a year of research I found a Canadian manufacture that suited what I envisioned as" MY COBRA" . Now I don't want to start a trade war but maybe because of Trans. Can.we should be buying in Canada at least until all these issues are solved. I know that NAFTA doesn't seam to work when we order parts from the US and UPS delivers (can you say "how much for duty!!") I know that I might get flamed for my views but I bought a D&D almost 2 years ago and I would make the same decision again.
Cheers Greg
Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Superformance never tried to pull the wool over anybodies eyes whilst importing our kits into Canada.They were stripped down further than to any other country that buy from our factory.After an extremely costly courtcase (Both criminal and federal) of which the appeal has just been heard and awarded to us, we now have more than guidelines from which to work.
We are now just waiting for the final documentation to be handed down and are now confident that we can continue to sell our products, with Tpt Canada`s blessing, in Canada.There will be changes, but I will update our website and post on Clubcobra as well.
Just like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support over this trying period and looking forward to getting to know you all.Cheers ,
Ross Tel 9055635959
Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ross

What is the timeline on this action , in other words when can we expect an active superformance dealer in Canada again , I need to get my order in.

Rob
Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rob,
I can assure you that I am talking to Jim a lot about how I want it done and that he has agreed to everything provisionally.Once I have the documents from the Supreme court in my hands [Should be this week} I can finalize the way we will import the kits. I will post on this site any updates as well as contacting you. Regards,
Ross
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That sounds great and I can tell you a whole bunch of people are behind you. we have a petition ready to send to Ottawa.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

great news on the wn ross

you said you will be updating your website.. what web site is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2gt40 View Post
Superformance never tried to pull the wool over anybodies eyes whilst importing our kits into Canada.They were stripped down further than to any other country that buy from our factory.After an extremely costly courtcase (Both criminal and federal) of which the appeal has just been heard and awarded to us, we now have more than guidelines from which to work.
We are now just waiting for the final documentation to be handed down and are now confident that we can continue to sell our products, with Tpt Canada`s blessing, in Canada.There will be changes, but I will update our website and post on Clubcobra as well.
Just like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support over this trying period and looking forward to getting to know you all.Cheers ,
Ross Tel 9055635959
Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I am making sure the world knows of this just in case SPF runs into more hurdles (you folks owe me a snake!!)

Orig message from the Toronto Star:

Hi:

Thanks for your e-mail. Our chief auto reviewer, Jim Kenzie, has travelled to South Africa a couple of times to drive the Superformance Cobras and has commented on this issue in previous editions of Wheels. Not recently, though, and I had understood that Superformance had just given up on trying to export to Canada . And nobody ever explained the possible petty reasoning for it to me.

If this is indeed still an ongoing concern, we'll follow this up.

All the best,

- Mark Richardson
Editor, Wheels
The Toronto Star