14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Dealers began ordering cars Monday 10/13/08. Production starts in February. No prices released yet. The Convertable is a 2011 model available begining approx June of 2010.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

AutoWeek:

" Chevrolet's 2010 Camaro LS with a V6 engine will carry a base sticker of $22,995.

The 6.2-liter V8-powered SS performance version will have a base sticker price of $30,995 "

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...FREE/810139997
Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
It's huge undertaking for the engineers to take a fresh idea, test the market, turn it into a concept car, sell the idea to the powers that control the corporate purse strings... is in full swing............

Rick,
I wonder about this sometimes, and why this has to be - I'm guessing internal red tape and politics at GM. I may be wrong, but as I recall Dodge and a few other companies produced cars from a prototype a bit quicker and with decent results. Viper, Mustang, etc... Or maybe it's just me thinking the O'Mighty GM could do more/better/faster. This car makes me wonder if they missed the boat, and hopefully for GM it will catch on. I am glad they went more after '69 styling queues, but it would not suprise me if they made a few more tweaks two years down the road to refine it a bit more.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I just don't understand why all of these new retro "sports" cars (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger) have to be so damn heavy. I'm sure it has to do with inexpensive parts. I suppose if GM built the Camaro to be as light as the Corvette, it would nearly cost as much as well.
But c'mon................all 3 of these cars are pushing 4000lbs! -They couldn't do any better than that?
Heck, my wife's 4-door BMW 540I weighs the same as these "sports" cars do.
-Probably handles better too!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AutoWeek:

" Nearly 3,000 people stepped up for a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro during the first three days since General Motors opened up the order bank.

And those people will be waiting at least four months before they get a car, as production isn't scheduled to start until February. Those who have placed an order will get updates from GM, including notification of the target production week for their car."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/newsletter01
Old 10-18-2008, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I really don't like the look of the new camaro. If they were trying to replicate the older models they failed. Ford and Dodge did a much better job on the Challenger and Mustang than Chevy did. The 2 gauges on the instrument panel look like they were just stuck on as an afterthought. And the rear of the car does look like a Saturn. Way too heavy too.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
...The V6 cars are estimated to get 26 mpg on the highway.

The Camaro SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter V8 engine producing up to 400 or 422 horsepower. (Buyers who opt for a manual transmission will get the more powerful engine.) All V8 Camaros are estimated to get 23 mpg on the highway.

All of the new Camaros, whether manual or automatic, will have six-speed transmissions.

that is soooo sad. I drove a 90's Cadillac Deville from Red Lake Ontario to Sturgis South Dakota and then on to St. Louis and averaged over 30 mpg with its V8...at speeds way over where the EPA measures things. And that 4-door plushmobile was no slouch acceleration-wise either. That this new Camaro, 10 years later, with GDI and a 6-speed transmission can only manage 23 mpg with its V8, only 26 with a V6, is just sad. Sad, sad, sad.

The photo comparing the new Mustang with a 66? Everyone knows that just as with the Camaro, Ford based its new Mustang on the later 67, 68 models? The LATER, LARGER Mustangs...the ones you could order with big block 390's, 428's? NOT the little 66's that only came with little 289's. Just a bogus photo from setup to composition to participants.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Caddy Northstar

My 02 Sedan DeVille and my wife's 01 Seville both have the 4.6 Northstar V8, and we both get and easy 26 - 27 on the highway. Those cars weigh 4,000 lbs. Both engines are 275 hp and move pretty nicely.

I think the new Corvette is rated at 27 hwy too

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 11-17-2008 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another case of poor GM timing. Ford did the new 'retro' Mustang and sales jump 64% from the previous generation. Over the last couple of years demand has dropped off for the 'Stang, and I'm sure the economy has not helped. Now here is GM four years later hoping for the same big bang that the Mustang got. I think it is going to be a day late and a dollar short.
People blame the unions for all of GM problems - I think management is just as much to blame.

Steve
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbrown View Post
The new Camaro is the exact size of the present Mustang, we have a photo overlay here at the dealership. It will have a wider stance and long wheel base. ii2.3 inch wheelbase and 189.6 inchs overall length. As for the weight it has Anti-lock brakes, front and rear crush zones, frt. and side air bags remote door locks and Stabilitrack std. and a 6speed trans . Also has a Independent rear suspension and Brembo brakes. It will out drive , out stop , out handle the 1967 Camaro .I sold alot of the original Camaro's and they rode poor , handled worse, and were not much to write home about.
Very true, other than the wider stance they are within 1/2" in every exterior demension.. they also weigh near identicle.

As for performance the 2010 Camaro is within three tenths of the Mighty 540HP Shelby Mustang in the 1/4 with 30% less engine parts, old push rod technology and no intercooled/supercharged boost.

The Challenger is the largest/heaviest of all three by a good amount.

Last edited by jbuchert; 06-02-2009 at 08:39 PM..
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For all three, Mustang , Camaro & Challenger, would be interesting to view their Marketing plan for the intended purchaser( s ) and the profiles of the actual purchaser, i.e., those that actually experienced the Muscle car era or etc., etc.,
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I had the opportunity to view a live broadcast last summer that was available exclusively to Chevrolet Dealerships. Part of the broadcast after they presented the meeting was a question and answer session where dealership personel had the ability to direct live questions to the panel. The panel was primarily addressing questions regarding colors, trim options and what combos and such were going to be available at launch. Because the dealers were to begin placing preliminary orders for the car shortly not long after the broadcast (few weeks) They made it clear that they intended to have all engines available, and the SS and base model would both be available although if I remember there was some limitation on color or trim availability with the stripes.
The demographics for the intended market were college educated in their mid 40's and older in $70,000+ income bracket. They did not anticipate or perceive the market to be 20's & 30's, the price point is a little high.
The lead time for this type of project is quite long, and they certainly did not anticipate the financial crash that has happened. Too much money AND R&D involved to shelve the project it once it was really rolling. They enlist the help of major contributors for sub assemblies that themselve have their own timeline. If they bowed out it would take too long to relight the flame. I mentioned this a few weeks ago that I met an engineer for GM who said they did a large part of the chassis and suspension work at a business in Manteca Ca, nearby and they worked on the project for most of a year. Never heard a word!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-03-2009 at 10:43 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

How come I haven't seen one of these cars on the road yet? We ALWAYS see the new stuff in So Cal before most of the other parts of the country (except Detroit). Commericials galore on TV and every magazine has had their reviews and comparisons, but no cars! And typical C&D snubbed the 400+HP SS vs a 300HP Rustang. I had to just laugh at their comments before I threw the rag into the recycle bin. They really know how to kick GM when they are down. This sloooooooow release is not helping them at all. My kid wants an '10 but I might wait for the '11's to come out so the shakes and rattles are gone (not to mention the dealer mark-ups).

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 06-04-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

I think it's history, there just keeping the Vette..

Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There were TWO '10 Camaros at Village Roasters in Calabasas this past Sunday. The Camaros are BIG like the Challenger, and the rear of the car is WAY too "busy" for my tastes. AND there is a new Mustang/Challenger/Camaro comparison test in the new Car abd Driver, and the Mustang wins by a considerable margin.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharroll Celby View Post
AND there is a new Mustang/Challenger/Camaro comparison test in the new Car abd Driver, and the Mustang wins by a considerable margin.
Because:

1. C&D has it in for GM and always has (and well beyond the well known fact that the C&D staffers are a bunch of pipe smoking Bimmer huggers).
2. 300HP GT vs 425HP SS. No comparison is necessary, yet they made it sound like the lesser powered 'Stang with its straight axle was the overall better choice.
3. The Challenger finished 3rd in the comparison, although you ask most people looking at all three in the same parking lot, the 'Stang would get the least amount of attention.

That whole article was so lopsided that I threw away the rest of the magazine before finishing it. Poor automotive journalism (read some of their remarks) and it was done to kick GM when they are already down.

-Dean
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth: Motor Trend did a comparison and ranked 1. Camaro, 2. Mustang,
3. Challenger.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I rode in a 6 cylinder Camaro with the RS package 20" wheels among other things. It had plenty of omph to be entertaining for a daily driver, with loads of grip. I don't think I'd ever find the limit of adhesion on public roads. Really well balanced car, and tons of fun (it is close to 2 tons). If you think you'll really go to the drag strip and turn in some 14 second passes more than 1 time, then get a Mustang. The suspension in the Stang will really respond to modifications. Guys run stock suspension Fox bodied cars into the 8's
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The new Camaro is the exact size of the present Mustang, we have a photo overlay here at the dealership. It will have a wider stance and long wheel base. ii2.3 inch wheelbase and 189.6 inchs overall length. As for the weight it has Anti-lock brakes, front and rear crush zones, frt. and side air bags remote door locks and Stabilitrack std. and a 6speed trans . Also has a Independent rear suspension and Brembo brakes. It will out drive , out stop , out handle the 1967 Camaro .I sold alot of the original Camaro's and they rode poor , handled worse, and were not much to write home about.