Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default New Camaro Launched

Production begins Feb of next year. Looks physically BIG. Certainly not like the 2,700 lb 67 Camaro. Wonder why so big. The original concept was a nimble pony car to compete with the 64 mustang. This is huge. Too bad.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4274421.html

________
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Just in time for $5 gas...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have unbelievable pent up demand waiting on the new Camaro, most Camaro fans HATE Fords. And don't forget all the Chevy cats that jumped ship to Mustang when the Camaro went on sabaticle. $5 buck gas? maybe, but I bought it at $3.68 in Akron Ohio yesterday. if you used a Mastercard they were selling it at $3.50. Figure that out?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default varialbe cost dependent on township incomes

In the DC suberbs here in Fairfax it runs $4.07, But in the next town, Manassas you can get it for $3.90. Hmmmmm.

________
Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

The new Camaro is the exact size of the present Mustang, we have a photo overlay here at the dealership. It will have a wider stance and long wheel base. ii2.3 inch wheelbase and 189.6 inchs overall length. As for the weight it has Anti-lock brakes, front and rear crush zones, frt. and side air bags remote door locks and Stabilitrack std. and a 6speed trans . Also has a Independent rear suspension and Brembo brakes. It will out drive , out stop , out handle the 1967 Camaro .I sold alot of the original Camaro's and they rode poor , handled worse, and were not much to write home about.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

gas prices be damned, I NEED one of those!!!

Brandon
Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Don't get me wrong, I like it and the new Challenger. Just hope with all the moves to get rid of gas suckers, they won't be short-timers. The Challenger went through that the first time.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The new Mustang is also huge. Forget the sporty lines. They are decieving. Park it side by side with a full sized sedan and they are dimensionaly the same. So sad!

________
Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Coming from a long time Gen 1 and Gen 2 Camaro owner and fan, I'm deeply disappointed in the final product. And I think with gas prices the way they're going you will see a lot sit on the showroom floors once the Ooh-Aah factor wears off. My 16 year old still wants one desperately and he graduates from HS in '10. I told him that if earned either an academic or athletic scholarship that I'd buy him one, as he'll be saving me more money from the University.

-Dean
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My son got a full ride to Virginia Tech playing football, . . . he was Left Guard on the O-Line, so I got him an 03 Cobra Mustang supercharged from the factory. This was back in 03. My two older daughters were pissed. They never got a car. Oh well, we had to PAY for their college education.

When my wife and I had talked about getting him a car if he got a scholarship, she had a Corolla or something equivolent in mind. My son is a big car nut and has driven my Cobra with me since he was 15 years old with his learners permit. He loves fast cars. He had a 68 390 AMX during highschool. If we would have got him a Corolla, he would have lost his mind. Besides he would have looked like "Mr. Incredible" jammed in there.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-23-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of the four guages shown in the center console one is labeled 'Torque' with measurements in lbs/foot. How would they measure this? If its simply that torque increases with revolutions per minute the 'Torque' guage doesn't measure anything not already indicated by the tachometer; the 'information' it conveys is rpm's, using a different unit of measure.

I suspect marketing has pulled a bait-and-switch. Am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cassani View Post
Of the four guages shown in the center console one is labeled 'Torque' with measurements in lbs/foot. How would they measure this? If its simply that torque increases with revolutions per minute the 'Torque' guage doesn't measure anything not already indicated by the tachometer; the 'information' it conveys is rpm's, using a different unit of measure.

I suspect marketing has pulled a bait-and-switch. Am I missing something?
Two LED sensors. One on the front of the driveshaft and one at the rear. The amount of deviation front to rear due to twisting force can be measured thru the cars computer.

Uhhhh, . . . . I just made that all up.

________
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

The one to watch is the v6 with 300 HP. It gets an EPA of 26 mpg and stories all around GM that they have test mules with this motor SUPERCHARGED with 400HP VVT with fuel management system and are looking to 26 to 28 MPG. Don't underestimate the gear heads at GM they are alive and well.
I had lunch last year with the chief cylinder engineer for GM and he told me the Direct Injection on the V6 will give it outstanding power and gas mileage. A supercharged variant is being tested.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

The press reports I read about the new Camaro says it is only 1" wider and 2" longer than the original Camaros. I still like the look of them and can't wait until they introduce the "Z28" version. Any bets it will come with the new Corvette engine?

Hey, a guy can dream.....

Bob
Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
...can't wait until they introduce the "Z28" version. Any bets it will come with the new Corvette engine?

Bob
I read that the Z-28 is not in the cards and they will use the SS badging for the hipo model.

Maybe they are keeping the Z-28 in their deep back pocket as a special edition with a turbo or something?!?

Again, I'm not completely down on the new look. I just think that from concept to production they managed to change just enough styling queues to make my d*** go limp. As with the new Challenger, the sides of the cars just look a tad tall to me. Either that or I just don't get 21st Century car design.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 07-23-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
The press reports I read about the new Camaro says it is only 1" wider and 2" longer than the original Camaros. I still like the look of them and can't wait until they introduce the "Z28" version. Any bets it will come with the new Corvette engine?

Bob
The new Camaro will come in three "trim levels." LS and LT Camaros will be powered by the same direct-injected 3.6-liter V6 engine that powers the Cadillac CTS performance sedan.
Direct injection means that fuel is injected right into the cylinders rather than being squirted into air that's on its way to the cylinders. That allows for more precise control of the way in which fuel mixes with air. That, in turn, allows more power to be produced.

The V6 engine will produce a maximum of 300 horsepower. The V6 cars are estimated to get 26 mpg on the highway.

The Camaro SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter V8 engine producing up to 400 or 422 horsepower. (Buyers who opt for a manual transmission will get the more powerful engine.) All V8 Camaros are estimated to get 23 mpg on the highway.

All of the new Camaros, whether manual or automatic, will have six-speed transmissions.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think its down right ugly. I've had a few of the gen 1 and 2 cars and don't like this one at all.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

I like the looks but 2 tons is just too heavy. Same for the Challenger. They need a 300hp engine just to hual all that weight around. Do the HP/WT math and see if the new power levels are that impressive.

If they want to sell a bunch of them, they better get the weight down to 3300lbs and the MPG up to at least 30.

It does look sweeeeeett though.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like the satern sky from the back
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

With the active fuel managment system, and 400HP V8, 23-26MPG on the freeway is not terrible by any means. Some of today's 4cyl. 200HP+ Turbo cars that require premium fuel don't really do that much better when you start comparing real fuel mileage and requirements for super unleaded.

Being a former owner and restorer of 12 different 68/69/70/72 Camaros, I did not care for this prototype car much when it first came out. After seeing it this last year in person, it has started to grow on me a bit but I won't conclude judgement until actually seeing one on the lot in true form.

It's actually amazing to me this project even got off the ground, and that it will be produced by GM. What an amazing time in life to be reliving new versions of Mustangs, Chargers, Camaros. Can't wait to see them on the road.

Duane