April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     
Default Top Loader Repair Facility

Any of you NorCal guys know of a Ford top loader repair expert that is local. I lost 3rd and 4th gear the other day and was hoping it was a simple linkage issue. Not so - pulled the transmission, removed the inspection cover, and everything looks good.... but it doesn't work!

I really don't want to ship it halfway across the U.S. to get it fixed, so any suggestion of a local guy/shop are very much appreciated.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

email sent.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Hey Phil,
Could you share what you find out about local toploader repair shops?
Thanks,
John
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjmac1 View Post
Hey Phil,
Could you share what you find out about local toploader repair shops?
Thanks,
John
Will do. I've been calling around with a little luck, but nothing near the caliber or reputation of a David Kee. But I'll keep trying.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What happens when you pull the cover and shift it into 3rd/4th gear? Does the shift fork move?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
What happens when you pull the cover and shift it into 3rd/4th gear? Does the shift fork move?
Yes, it appears that everything is moving and shifting as it should, but when I put resistance on the tail-shaft with the trans in 3rd or 4th gear and rotate the front spline the rear spline does not move... just as if it is neutral. 1st, 2nd, and rev work fine.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Phil,
I used trans repair warehouse at 1220 C st Sat to change my speedometer drive gear in the T600 and the mechanic knew his way around the toploader style trans.

Let me know when you get it ironed out and I will pay back my overdue debt

Maurice
Old 05-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice19 View Post
Phil,
I used trans repair warehouse at 1220 C st Sat to change my speedometer drive gear in the T600 and the mechanic knew his way around the toploader style trans.

Let me know when you get it ironed out and I will pay back my overdue debt

Maurice
Thanks, Maurice. I have them on my list of shops to check-out. No need to worry about the "debt". It was my pleasure..... I think this will be a bit easier than yours and hopefully will only have to be done once.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, can you post a picture of the trans with the cover off? I'd like to see a few pics with it shifted into 3rd and 4th....

I rebuild Toploaders so maybe I can make an easy diagnosis over the internet....
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Hi Phil sorry to hear that your having trouble with the car.
If you lost both gears at the same time it's not going to be something you can see by just looking inside the cover. The synchronizer for third and fourth is splined to the output shaft internally you have most likely taken all the splines off the shaft or synchronizer or both. How hard did you hit third gear when this happened?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Phil, can you post a picture of the trans with the cover off? I'd like to see a few pics with it shifted into 3rd and 4th....

I rebuild Toploaders so maybe I can make an easy diagnosis over the internet....
If you can figure this out then maybe you can teleport yourself here to fix it....

3rd Gear
[IMG][/IMG]

4th Gear
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post
Hi Phil sorry to hear that your having trouble with the car.
If you lost both gears at the same time it's not going to be something you can see by just looking inside the cover. The synchronizer for third and fourth is splined to the output shaft internally you have most likely taken all the splines off the shaft or synchronizer or both. How hard did you hit third gear when this happened?
Hi Rod,

Sounds like you know a heck of a lot more about this than I do. My son was over last night and came up with a similar diagnosis, but neither of us know how to do anything about it This is why I'm looking for someone that knows their way around a top loader.

I did hit 3rd a little hard, but I don't recall any clunk or pow...... just the engine rev'ing as if it were in neutral.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post

I did hit 3rd a little hard, but I don't recall any clunk or pow...... just the engine rev'ing as if it were in neutral.
Probably not the result of just one hard shift but gradual wear and tear over the life of the trans. Had my first toploader apart back in '74 when I lost 2nd gear in mine. They're not rocket science just take it apart and replace the broken stuff.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post
Probably not the result of just one hard shift but gradual wear and tear over the life of the trans. Had my first toploader apart back in '74 when I lost 2nd gear in mine. They're not rocket science just take it apart and replace the broken stuff.
Thanks, Rod. If I thought it was that simple I wouldn't hesitate. I really prefer someone with experience to deal with this - It is to damn heavy to be pulling out more than once.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like you're getting full engagement of the synchronizer. I suppose the inner/outer hub or shaft splines could have been reduced to nothing, but I just wouldn't expect that out of a street trans.

Toploaders are pretty intuitive to work on. I think you could do it yourself...
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It looks like you're getting full engagement of the synchronizer. I suppose the inner/outer hub or shaft splines could have been reduced to nothing, but I just wouldn't expect that out of a street trans.

Toploaders are pretty intuitive to work on. I think you could do it yourself...
I sent him an email. I think he's looking for somebody to tell him what to do and not just suggest things. The basics of these tranny's are Mechanic101. Buy a book and tear it apart. If he can't figure it out himself, it's not going to be any more to have somebody put it back together.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
I sent him an email. I think he's looking for somebody to tell him what to do and not just suggest things. The basics of these tranny's are Mechanic101. Buy a book and tear it apart. If he can't figure it out himself, it's not going to be any more to have somebody put it back together.
redmt, re-read my original post. I am looking for a reputable shop locally to do the work.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
redmt, re-read my original post. I am looking for a reputable shop locally to do the work.
Sorry I must have misinterpreted your definition of local as opposed to cross country. Local to me is within a hundred miles driving distance. There are plenty of guys who can work on it with a hundred miles or so. They are an easy gear box to work on.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heritage body, built the rest..460 Toploader..9"
Neutral     

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the 3rd gear syncronizer hub that is splined to the mainshaft. 3rd doesn't work because of bad hub splines and with the trans in 4th gear the output is straight through the mainshaft, but if the hub inner splines were gone......no output. 1st and 2nd work fine because they go through the cluster gear.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

JP
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Not to butt into a problem but I have a used large shaft top loader stuffed in a crate surrounded with a dissambled Jag rear (partial chrome and polish). Would love to part with any or all of it. Searching out cheaper hobbies for future retirement.
Thanks,
Al