S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperickson2001 View Post
Use a piano hinge so it flips horizontal when at speed.
I like the idea, but would be a bit uneasy with the "flapping" noises that I could see ensuing, unless it were lightly spring loaded to keep it from flapping about...and then the spring might well keep it from flipping up (or, perhaps, down?) into the horizontal position.

I could, however, see the piano hinge idea working with an adaptation:

How about a cable, sort of like a manual choke cable, just attached to the lower edge of the front plate? It could be used to raise (in my case) the license plate to horizontal and keep it from flapping around, at the same time avoiding the necessity for a spring. The downside I see would be the length of cable one would need to pull out with the knob on the dash (or, hidden under the dash)...a bell-crank system could be fitted to eliminate that problem.

I have mine bolted at the top to the body between the fishmouth opening and the oil cooler opening (don't use an oil cooler, either). At the bottom I bent the license plate and bolted it to the bottom of the body under the oil cooler opening, it functions sort of like a skid plate for those times when the front end of my Cobra's body would drag (which is almost every time I pull into the driveway of my current residence).

I will post a photo soon...it works for me since there is no need for an oil cooler in my case.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

No one seems to have one laying around, so I ordered a bracket today ($25). front plate page

You guys can carry on with your discussion now.....

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

I just trimmed the plate real close to the letters on the top and sides, and bent the bottom at 90 degrees, then slid it under the lip in the rad opening. Quite unobtrusive really.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Phil,
Maybe you can recoup your expenditure by renting it to the rest of the NorCal group when we get busted for no front plate too.

Bob
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Interesting you should say that....... I was thinking the same thing

Maybe I should have ordered two and doubled my income!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsnst1 View Post
this is old news gys no fronutoints against yo plate and tinted windows on the driver are points against you , no fix it ticket, its been that way for 3 years, hello.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbullet View Post
ratsnst1, you need spell check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsnst1 View Post
I type to fast sometimes .

Spelling and Grammar check too right after the "hello"

Last edited by decooney; 09-03-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

DeConey, are you the site spelling monitor. If you don't understand what he was saying don't read it or let it roll off your back.
He gave an explanation. No need to be a Jack Ass!

Last edited by Sidekick; 09-04-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sidekick,
You have 7 posts and are fairly new to this forum... and you bust out Duane for being the spelling monitor and you spell his name wrong? WTF? Who is the jackass? I'm just sayin'!
Bob
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302
Not Ranked     

It looks like we're getting a little off topic.

"The only true wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing."
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
It looks like we're getting a little off topic.

"The only true wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing."
I don't know, this is getting more interesting than my license plate question, which by the way, has been resolved.
xlr8tr likes this.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
DeConey, are you the site spelling monitor. If you don't understand what he was saying don't read it or let it roll off your back.
He gave an explanation. No need to be a Jack Ass!

Sidekick,
I see you are a new member to ClubCobra and live in Ukiah, in NorCal Cobras country. You are welcome to attend our monthly breakfast meetup this month in Murphys CA. I look forward to meeting you in person. Can you make it?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I have a older front bumper from Finishline and it has tabs on lower hoop with a rod that goes through them and tabs on license frame tabs with a spring that holds license vertical until you start driving , then wind pressure against plate pushes it down to the lower nose opening. Two small rubber bumpers protect paint on lower nose. Cheap spring broke right away but a AR 15 trigger spring works just fine.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default GREAT idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
I have a older front bumper from Finishline and it has tabs on lower hoop with a rod that goes through them and tabs on license frame tabs with a spring that holds license vertical until you start driving , then wind pressure against plate pushes it down to the lower nose opening. Two small rubber bumpers protect paint on lower nose. Cheap spring broke right away but a AR 15 trigger spring works just fine.
That's a great solution! I have a hoop bumper on the front of mine, but no tabs. At some point I may want to use an oil cooler, and when that happens I will want to clear the opening for my cooler scoop....will attempt to adapt your idea to my system.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Yuck! This just doesn't look right, but it's an easy on/easy off..... just have to get it signed off.

[IMG]o[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
I gotta' agree with you, but it's done and you are now legal. Is Monday the big day to get it signed off and will it be on or off for Murphys?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
Phil,
I gotta' agree with you, but it's done and you are now legal. Is Monday the big day to get it signed off and will it be on or off for Murphys?
I need to make a call Monday to find out how to go about getting it signed off. The last time I got "fix-it ticket" I was 17-years old, so I'm sure the process has changed (we use to find a CHP in a donut shop and ask them to sign it off).

Will have to wait and see if it makes it to Murphy's or not. I hope it's done by then because this configuration is butt ugly!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm... maybe we need to make up a magnetic quick-mount setup.

Phil,
You have 7 days to find an officer and get that signed off. Hopefully you can make it to Murphys. No pressure, but remember... you picked the place this month. How could we go there without you!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane,

I plan on going to Murphy's..... just waiting to hear where we are going to meet for the drive down there.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, I will update the monthly thread on the details.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

When the original's were made back in the sixties, were they DOT -50 state legal certified with or without a front license plate??? You only have to comply with the regs of 65 in Maine which means the sidepipes are perfectly legal (and yes I know how loud they are officer) and no front plate.