LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by cobra de capell

Clearly, the group of people that end up with a Cobra, build or purchase have a few bucks to spare - I wonder if there is sufficient interest in Cal to try to influence a politician to amend the law to at least allow everyone that needs a number to get one on a one time basis. There must be thousands of people in Cal that need a number - is there anyone out there that has direct access politically that can make this happen, perhaps, with a little help from the Cobra group, e.g. financially, etc.?????
What if you spent time and effort to get a politician on your side. There's a boat load of liberal weenies in Sacramento who will have to vote your way, too. Besides, even if you can fix the registration problem, you're still in California. It's just easier to move!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

At our Saturday morning Breakfasts, we have kicked around many ideas about how to fix the problem of the lack of sequence numbers to meet our hobby's needs.

One idea is purchase smog exemption - kinda like the Gas Guzzler tax that we have in CA. If you want to drive an SPCNS with Smog Exemption without an SB100/1578 Sequence Number, then every year you will be required to pay a "Smog Exemption" surcharge. This money would go directly to the "clean air" folks to focus on the "real" pollution creators in the state.

No one likes more taxes, but most Cobra owners are not "poor", and given the current situation, I don't think that many would be radically upset if they were given the option to buy smog exemption.

Just a thought...

Regards,
Randy R...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Randy,

It's good to see someone is thinking outside the box, however, suggesting a surcharge/tax is something I can't support. It will open a door that should remain LOCKED. If opened it will only encourage and support additional taxes that will inevitably increase. My understanding is SEMA has stepped in to some degree with professional lobbyists.

My $0.02

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

It the engine is pre-74, why could you not register it as exempt?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

'74 and earlier "vehicles" are exempt... not "engines", as they were factory equipped with smog paraphernalia.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Since the SB-100 numbers were exhausted all year long, the demand on those numbers in 06 with more people than the previous years needing them, and also DMV using some for their own internal purposes, as well as the unwillingness of folks to get too creative ever since the crack down on alternative means of registration, the lines in 06' will be shorter than usual.

I guarantee you some will be told to go home not because they can't get through to Sacarmento, they will be told to go home because all the numbers are gone.
Any bettors out there?
Last year one rural DMV office had 11 people in line for similar request.
It will be a zoo!!

TURK
Old 07-19-2005, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #995 351W
Not Ranked     

Does SB-100 really add value to a car???? I thought it would. But in an attempt to sell my Superformance, it hasn't done anything yet. I have mine listed at $45,900 or best offer. Heck, I even said I'd seriously consider any offer over $40K. I haven't had any bites.

I've had about 5 people call. 4 had no idea what SB-100 was about and didn't know the first thing about CA smog requirements. One person did see the car, but I had to take the car to them as they couldn't make it out that day. I normally don't do that, but this guy lived in Malibu, not far, so I did the nice PCH drive to him. The minute he sat in the car he didn't want it as he had a "titanium" leg (bad car accident a while back) and the seating position (with legs to the left) deterred him from being able to drive it.

My point is that most people looking for a Cobra don't research registration issues until after they have purchased the car. And it's a real soft market. Anyways, I can't let it go for anything less than about $42K, so I'll just end up keeping her, she's too much fun!

Howard
http://www.ReplicaCobra.com/Sale
Old 07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

STG posted this link:

You may find this interesting:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

meanwhile for a couple of bucks any Cobra owner would be happy to pay in his state, but if the registration process is too tedious one tries a backdoor.

report your heighbor!
nice touch, could have been created by a german...

dominik (german livin in cape town)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Howard,
The value of your car may indeed go up on January 3rd. when a lt of the hopefuls realize they waited almost a whole year for nothing. I wouldn't give you a premium right now for your car either, as long as there is a chance I can get my own SB-100 number on January 2nd. If I can't, my entire outlook would change.

Like you I have a car for sale that has SB-100 number. I also haven't noticed people beating on my door to buy it.

Just wait, if you can until January..

TURK
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Well, there are "connected" people in Cal that need SB100 numbers, so hundreds of them could be gone prior to Jan 2. I'll be in Cal trying to get one as I'm moving there in September - just sold my AZ house.

Question: My understanding is that there is an alternative to SB100 - a temp pass to drive the car for a specific period of time (weeks or months) until the next set of numbers are available. Does anyone have experience to share relating to the temp passes - all you need to do is pay the normal DMV fees - I'm unaware of any feed relating to temp passes, but there seems to always be fees when one deals with the DMV.

With all the input here, it seems that a temp pass is the only option that may be viable in 2006.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351/385hp,Silver/Black stripes
Not Ranked     

The only Temp you will get is a temporary operating permit which will be good for 30-60 days depending on your DMV person. Since you will have to reregister as a speciality vehicle when you arrive ( since your old registration was 65 Ford) they will give you a TOP after you have paid your fee's. This will give you time to visit the CHP for VIN number, brake and light tests and BAR for smog. You actually will probobly be in line Jan 2,2006 for an SB1578 for vehicles previously registered. Then again you may get a DMV person who just lets you reregister as a 65 Ford and you will be on your way until one day you get a DMV notice to turn in your fraudulent registration and title. Be very careful, put a stock cam etc. back in the car for now and get it smogged without the SB1578 and then drive. Good luck, we all need it.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

OK, I was under the impression that the car being registered as a SPCN 1972 (or whatever) would mean that the car would have to pass the smog requirements of that year, 1972. If a 1972 Impala is exempt, why wouldn't and SPCN 1972? Just curious, not arguing.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by stevem

The only Temp you will get is a temporary operating permit which will be good for 30-60 days depending on your DMV person. Since you will have to reregister as a speciality vehicle when you arrive ( since your old registration was 65 Ford) they will give you a TOP after you have paid your fee's. This will give you time to visit the CHP for VIN number, brake and light tests and BAR for smog. You actually will probobly be in line Jan 2,2006 for an SB1578 for vehicles previously registered. Then again you may get a DMV person who just lets you reregister as a 65 Ford and you will be on your way until one day you get a DMV notice to turn in your fraudulent registration and title. Be very careful, put a stock cam etc. back in the car for now and get it smogged without the SB1578 and then drive. Good luck, we all need it.
The plot gets thicker - SB1578 - what is the scope on that or a good source for information. So, you are saying that only kitcars that have never been registered need an SB100 number, correct?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ray,

SB-100 was written to allow only initial registrations period. Then when they started pulling titles, there was no way to register the cars so they added SB-1578 which allows a change of title for any car that had a title pulled, or was bought with an incorrect title. Problem is, they used the same 500 numbers and when they are gone, that is it for both. In your case, you would use SB-1578 since your car is already titled and not the first title for it. But the process and everything is exactly the same. Instead of having to show all receipts for everything, you will need your Arizona registration, a bill of sale if you bought it from another perrson, and something that the DMV can use to set the value of the car. I would recommend you have an appraiser who knows these cars do it and have it ready. Then if you are fortunate enough to get one of the 500 numbers reserved for you, the rest is a cake walk. Also unless you know a DMV clerk who is familiar with the process, taking a copy of SB-1578 with you to the DMV and also the MEMO number that all DMVs were issued to tell them how to do this won't hurt.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 07-20-2005 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After doing a little research, it appears that I will need an SB1578 number, but it's not clear as to whether or not SB1578 numbers are issued within the 500 numbers allocated each year or a completely separate program. What a mess!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The SB-1578 numbers are part of the 500 numbers that SB-100 uses. Just a first come, who knows who, basis. With all of the so called illegally registered cars, they should have set up around 5,000 numbers for sb-1578 and kept the 500 for just initial registrations. By the time the DMV and other powers that be get through reserving numbers, there may be 400 left for public use. SB-1578 is no more than an amendment to SB-100 allowing cars to have titles changed instead of just initial registrations. That this is a mess is an understatement. 500 numbers, 50,000 cars according to the state.

Kind of like one beer and 500 Turks trying to get it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-20-2005, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #995 351W
Not Ranked     

Brent, an example will help explain. Let's say your Cobra was built in 2001 and you have a 1969 351W engine. Your car will be registered as a 2001 SPCN but has to meet 1969 smog requirements. Since the car is registered as a 2001, it will still have to go for a smog check every two years, but still has to pass 1969 standards. No way around it.

And Ron is correct, the SB-100 and SB-1578 both share the same allocated 500 numbers.

And Turk, I'm no longer in a rush to sell. Screw home ownership, I'll wait for the next earthquake and pay a heck of alot less for a home :-)

Howard
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351/385hp,Silver/Black stripes
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know of anyone who got a reserved SB-100 number from DMV? I was told by the DMV Involuntary Transfer people that there was no way to get an SB-100 number except by getting in line and getting lucky. I would have had mine last year if they had'nt waited until 1/10 to pull my registration and title. Oh well I've got a TOP now and at least will enjoy the next several months.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by cobra de capell

Well, there are "connected" people in Cal that need SB100 numbers, so hundreds of them could be gone prior to Jan 2.
You mean Jamo and Turk didn't wait in line???
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yes we did!
We are not THAT connected!!!

I for one wouldn't want to have missed the experience of getting in line with common men and women and remembering where we came from.

I am pretty sure no one can reserve any of those numbers. However DMV will use as many as they need during the previous year to correct some errors and make some cars legal for one reason or another.

Now why, they don't make some administrative provisions to correct past mistakes without tapping into (already not enough) SB-100s, I am not sure.
Theoretically they could go through all 500 numbers themselves!!

TURK