Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Registration - CAL

I'm moving back to CAL (Sonora, CAL) later this year from Arizona. I purchased a Cobra several years ago from California - one that was registered as a 1965 Cobra under mysterious circumstances. Anyway, it was and is registered as a 1965 Cobra in Arizona.

My understanding is that since it's not a "1965 Ford" in the eyes of the CA DMV, then it's title will need to changed to SPCNS (Specially Constructed Vehicle) when I return to CAL. I also understand that the next question is what kinda engine does it have? My engine is a 1968 428 FE, a vintage engine, that will result in a smog requirement based on 1968 standards. I don't view that as a problem as I don't remember hardly any smog standards in the 60's in CAL.

Does this sound correct? I would hate to face the SB100 sequence number fiasco as those numbers are hard to secure.

A confirmation of my understanding would be appreciated or any other input.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should be able to register as SPCN without SB100 based on the year of the block. This will require 68 smog equipment. Other than a PCV setup I don't know what else was there. You will be required to re-smog every two years. Or get inline in January for an SB100 number and never smog it again.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

xlr8or's right.

You will need to go the BAR to have them determine/confirm the year of your block, and they will be able to tell you exactly what it needed to make it "pass smog". Besides the visual exam (PCV, etc...), it will also need to pass the "snif" test.

If getting it to pass smog for year of the block becomes too difficult, then you can always stand in line on Jan 2 for a Sequence Number.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

BTW, welcome back to CA.

Regards,
Randy R...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What is BAR, may I ask?

Thanks for the input - xlr8or and Randy.

By the way, are there any 'tricks' to waiting in (SB100) line - like not waiting in line etc.????? Is there a line - like first come first served or do people in the know have the numbers and the rest of us have zip?

Also, does the NorCal Club ever tour the Gold Country, e.g. Sonora, Columbia, Yosemite area of CAL?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #995 351W
Not Ranked     

BAR is the Bureau of Automotive Repair. You have to see the referee at BAR. You can't just go to any smog station.

And I hope your '68 428FE is stock. Modifications can potentially make it fail, such as a modified CAM. Another person here has a 1967 427FE and couldn't pass the smog "snif" test due to a modified cam.

On my 69 351W engine, I had to put on a thermostatic air cleaner, heat riser, complete the PVC system (which included changing the distributor to one that had vacuum advance), and change my Holly 600 carb to one that had an electric choke. Your mileage may vary.

And there are no tricks to getting the SB-100 number reserved (not that I'm aware of). First come first served. Be ready to take a cell phone to the DMV as the lazy employees will call Sacramento about once every 10 minutes and probably won't get through. They wanted to send me home (heck no!). I had to use my cell phone to call Sacramento myself while at the Santa Monica DMV; and once I got through (took 45 minutes), I handed my cell to the DMV clerk. I felt like I was 16 years old and calling a radio station to win concert tickets :-) I got mine at about mid-day (I was there at 9:00am) which resulted in sequence number 244.

Good luck and welcome back to Cali!

Howard
Old 07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4815
Not Ranked     

One good thing you have going for you is your location in California. Being in a county that is out of the "larger metropolitan areas," you are not subject to smog checks every two years. One of the best kept secrets in California! The bi-annual smog program is only in countys of high density population and the rural areas of CA only have to get smog checks when you first buy and register the car. I know this because my mother-in-law lives in Sonora and DOES NOT have to smog her car every two years!

Mike
Old 07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Howard and Mike are right!

In fact the easiest thing to do is to just buy an already titled/registered SB100 Cobra.

Howard, do you know of any for sale???
Old 07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Talking Make way!

Don't get in my way! I will be at the door 1st in line at the 'closest' DMV to 'DMV Hdqts' here in Sac!

Don't get in my way! But, I'll hold a place right behind me, for anyone with a Cobra.

jdog
P.S. The only 'real' advantage I have found yet, for living in Sacramento! But it looks like a 'Doozy'!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, my engine is not stock (special cam, etc.) and it's my understanding that it failed (smog check) in California (I purchased it in California). I don't mind getting in line, but there will be lines all over California on that day - possibly no line in the Sonora DMV????

One additional question, my Cobra was one of the first 100 ERA's - it was built in 1984. Therefore, it's twenty years old, so does California have any waiver or special category for a kit car that is over 20 years old relating to smog testing, etc.? I'm thinking no, but I'm leaving no stone unturned.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

CDC,

If possible, do NOT sell your house in AZ. Just rent it and use the address to continue to register your car. This place is getting nuts!

Paul
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Moving from a state where they just repealed smog laws on classic cars 15 years or older to a state that is trying to regulate your behavior(life)?

Are you nuckin' futs?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #995 351W
Not Ranked     

CDC, the issue isn't actual physical "lines". I highly doubt there will be but a few people at each DMV office requesting SB-100. Most DMV's have many clerks handling people by "number". The "line" issue is more at the DMV office calling Sacramento to obtain the sequence number.

Make an appointment at your closest office. Appointments are given 30 days in advance, so call the DMV early in December to make a 9:00 am appointment for January 2nd, 2006 (Monday). When you get there, have your papers all ready. The DMV clerk will most likely have NO IDEA what an SB-100 number is and how to handle one. Print out the DMV webpage showing what SB-100 is and hand it to the clerk. The clerk will then go to his/her supervisor and they will both look at it with much confusion. They will talk to others and finally figure out they have to call Sacramento to get the sequence number and for further instruction. Then after about 15 - 30 minutes later, they will come to you and say either of the following:

1. Please have a seat, the phone lines to Sacramento are all busy. We'll keep trying and let you know when we get through. At which time you will see the supervisor or clerk try to call once every 5-10 minutes or so (and they'll be unsuccessful).

2. Or they may tell you they don't have time right now to keep calling, go home and they'll let you know when they get through. Or worse, they'll tell you to come back another day.

3. Or (as they told me) go home and call them yourself. You don't need us. They will give the sequence number to you over the phone.

DON'T LEAVE!!!! Sacramento does not deal with people direct! Be polite and ask if you can use your own cell phone to call. Then when you get through, hand over the phone to the clerk.

I still think chances are good of getting a sequence number if you show up the first day and take your cell phone (make sure the batteries are full!) If possible, take a friend who also has a cell phone and both of you can try to get through.

Good Luck,

Howard
Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Howard:

Thanks for the detailed plan.

I will be working that plan, plus I will visit the DMV ahead of time to see if they have a reasonable level of understanding of what I will be looking for. It is Sonora - real small town, so they should be more reasonable versus a big town.

I'm returning to Sonora to live on 6 acres that has been family land forever, almost - hopefully I will not get caught up in all the Cal. "stuff", but I'm a Republican and that's a down side. I have two brothers that will retire to Sonora by year-end, so it's a family thing - outweighting the Cal bullcrap.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by RallySnake

CDC,

If possible, do NOT sell your house in AZ. Just rent it and use the address to continue to register your car. This place is getting nuts!

Paul
You may find this interesting:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi
Old 07-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

CDC,

I've posted this link a gazzilon times http://www.cobratrader.com/registrationCA.html I follwed it to the letter and it works. There will be lines all over CA in Jan '06, but the bottom line is who will get the last of 500, doesn't matter if there are 500 guys in LA and only 2 in Sonora... two will be left empty handed (maybe two in LA, or two in Sonora, the call has to be made to Sacramento by the locale DMV - they do NOT each have an allotment).

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 07-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by pgermond

CDC,

I've posted this link a gazzilon times http://www.cobratrader.com/registrationCA.html I follwed it to the letter and it works. There will be lines all over CA in Jan '06, but the bottom line is who will get the last of 500, doesn't matter if there are 500 guys in LA and only 2 in Sonora... two will be left empty handed (maybe two in LA, or two in Sonora, the call has to be made to Sacramento by the locale DMV - they do NOT each have an allotment).
Now that link tells the story and compliments all that has been posted here. Also, the post above your post has me standing in line versus trying anything relating to registration in AZ.

Thanks to both of you are all the posters above.

Thanks

PS Is ClubCobra great or what!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cobra de capell; 07-17-2005 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just get to the local DMV about an hour before they open and get in line. I did that this year and was the second person in the door. There were about 8 of us there for SB00 numbers and we all got one but the 500 were gone by the next day.

hint: take the charger for your cell phone with you. I didn't need to use mine but there was someone there calling for two hour straight on theirs and didn't get through before the battery died.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Another IMPORTANT HINT: Don't have any coffee before going and go to the bathroom before leaving the house................It's great waiting in line for an hour, the doors finally opening, and you gotta hit the head first. two minutes later the lines to the door. Gad zooks, I hate when that happens!

Last edited by Robert T. Faust; 07-17-2005 at 09:53 AM..
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Bring a tent for '06...

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clearly, the group of people that end up with a Cobra, build or purchase have a few bucks to spare - I wonder if there is sufficient interest in Cal to try to influence a politician to amend the law to at least allow everyone that needs a number to get one on a one time basis. There must be thousands of people in Cal that need a number - is there anyone out there that has direct access politically that can make this happen, perhaps, with a little help from the Cobra group, e.g. financially, etc.?????