26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The DMV that I went to did not require original receipts for parts and labor, but they did require the original MSO. So this must be hit or miss. I would think the DMV would allow someone to keep their original engine and tranny receipt for warranty purposes.

I also had no trouble scheduling with the CHP or BAR. They had plenty of appointments available where I could schedule them right on top of each other. Another hit or miss proposition depending on the CHP and BAR office that you decide to use.

You could start your paperwork and pay for everything on January 2nd, but i think that's a receipe for disaster. By the time the paperwork is processed and fees are paid, the numbers may have already run out. These DMV employees do not know the process all that well and they will spend lots of time going back and forth all around the office trying to get an answer. All the while the people with the paperwork done already are getting their SB 100 numbers. They make the calls to Sacramento in bunches and if you're still working on paperwork, you're probably not in the first few bunches of numbers being allocated.

Start the paperwork ASAP. Get your # on January 2, 2009 and finish up in 2009. Don't wait. There's always the possibility that the SB100 program could disappear in the future.

Lastly, I went to two different DMV offices on different sides of the SF Bay Area and all three of my TOP's that I asked for were for 90 days. In fact, my last TOP, the third, was for 120 days, which in the end I didn't need the whole period. Don't delay.

Last edited by RodKnock; 12-14-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Changed DMV to CHP. Typed too fast.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Some of the information I'm hearing regarding temporary operating permits is complete wishful thinking. Some may get lucky and others may only get one or two for as little as 30 days, depending where you go. Don't gamble away your SB-100 on wishing and hoping for a slew of temps to cover your ass for 2009.

As Rodknock said earlier, (and I don't even know him), take your paper work and receipts to DMV ASAP, pay the fees, and start the registration process before Jan 2.

Every DMV does things differently as their is no outside training and they each develope "their way" of doing things. Everyone giving opinions in this forum is an expert with the respective DMV's they registered their cars with.

Decide NOW, what DMV you are going to use, go there on Monday or Tuesday and have THEM tell you what is necessary. Everyone above in this forum is correct for the DMVC's they used. I assure you that if you listen to someone who used Santa Clara and go to Folsom, ( you're going to be in deep ****!

Last edited by wanab5150; 12-14-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

One of these days, we should think about about collaborting on a "sticky" thread regarding the SB100 process. The level of service and answers that you get from the different DMV offices will vary, but the process is basically the same.

Here's an updated version of information that I've provided to fellow Cobra Club members regarding the SB 100 DMV forms and the process steps. This is based on my experience and what I've absorbed and learned from others...your mileage vary.

DMV Site:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

Great guide/resource
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...+car+and+sb100

1. Form 343 - Application for Title or Registration
a. Complete Section 1, 2 (write "NONE"), 3 and 4
b. Leave section E, F blank
c. Section G: write something like: "This specially constructed vehicle was built primarily for my private use and is not intended for resale or export."
d. Once the CHP verifies your VIN, you can enter the VIN on the top of the form
e. Make is "SPCNS"
f. In section 3, "Year Model" will probably be the year you bought your car (not 100% certain). Mine says 2007.
g. You don't need to do anything with the 2nd page
h. When the DMV enters the info in their system, the "YR 1ST SOLD" should be 0000.

2. Form Reg 5036 - Statement of Construction
a. Complete section 2, 3, 5, and 6.
b. Have most of the receipts together as back-up. They're really looking for the Car, engine, trans (major $$$ stuff)

3. Form Reg 124 - Application for Asigned Vehicle Identificatin Number Plate
a. CHP will have this muti-part form and will complete it and hand you a couple of copies. One for your records and one for the DMV.

4. You don't need to visit the BAR until you have been issued an SB100 sequence number.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

One other thing I would like to add and maybe it's the reason why I got longer TOP's. Not sure. Be polite and kind and treat these hardworking DMV people behind the counter with respect. Say please and thank you. It's a tough job dealing with the public. The people that come into DMV offices with all sorts of problems aren't always nice and I've witnessed this first hand.

Doug, for #3, the DMV gave me this form. The CHP officer asked me for it. Again, who knows. I'm sure every day is different.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Got the Bug (Doug) did a lot of research to provide the step by step instructions and they sound very accurate from what I remember this year.

I somehow got cut off in the earlier thread....I think the site "black balled" me because I didn't spell s*** with asterisks so my thread disappeared on my screen!!!

Anyway as Doug said, the make is SPCNS not Superformance, Factory Five, etc. One of the guys at Folsom wanted Superformance as the "make" and got #433 after redoing his paperwork..........."2008 SPCNS" is probably what it will be, I'm guessing.

Good luck...........also, Rodknock seems to be on the ball as well.