LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman View Post
How hard have you guys found it to register a cobra kit in California?
It's not that hard. You've got to jump through some hoops, but the process to register under SB100 is pretty straightforward. Just be prepared to write a nice big check for sales tax and registration.

SB100 newbie question

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Having owned all three suspension choices, I suggest the four link as being at the bottom of your choices, next step up is the 3 link, with the IRS being the best of the ride and handling choices........Whichever kit you decide on is a personal choice only you can choose. As always, ask questions and you'll get varied responses, but it is still important to ask the questions anyway. Either way, enjoy the build.........

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302EFI, Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Make sure you get and keep your receipts, especially for the big items like engine, trans, rear end. If you have paid sales tax on the big stuff you should not have to pay it again. For the kits you get out of state and don't pay tax on when you buy them you will have to pay the tax when you register but you will still need the receipt and MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin). Even if you buy and pay for the items you have to prove the items are not stolen, Keep the receipts.

That is another reason the donor concept is popular, the donor should come with a title.

If the big items are in order they usually assume you bought the small stuff locally and paid sales tax.

The last car (street rod) I built I used an engine out of a truck I owned so I didn't have a receipt for it, but I had the receipt for the wrecking yard engine I put in the truck, so with that and a statement of facts they accepted that I already owned the engine and had already paid tax on it. It can be a nightmare if you don't keep the paper trail intact.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB DRMNG View Post
That is another reason the donor concept is popular, the donor should come with a title.
You might get a title with a donor car, but you can't use it to title your Cobra in California (or probably anywhere else).

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302EFI, Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
You might get a title with a donor car, but you can't use it to title your Cobra in California (or probably anywhere else).
Yes, true you are not registering the title from the donor, you are getting a special construction title for the new Cobra. But you should get a title, even a salvage title, that shows it is not stolen, subsequently the parts from it are not stolen. it just makes the whole thing cleaner if you have documentation. If you buy a car without a title you have little proof it's not HOT. You can protect your self by sales receipts for the sale and even a copy of the sellers drivers lic would help protect you. That does not mean you would not lose your car if it can be shown that the donor was actually stolen though. Probably a very slim chance of that happening since I don't think CA tracks engine serial numbers on cars, but they do on motorcycles.

I could be totally off base here, it has been some 17-18 years since my last build and things do change, although not usually towards less restrictions and less regulation!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB DRMNG View Post
Yes, true you are not registering the title from the donor, you are getting a special construction title for the new Cobra. But you should get a title, even a salvage title, that shows it is not stolen, subsequently the parts from it are not stolen. it just makes the whole thing cleaner if you have documentation. If you buy a car without a title you have little proof it's not HOT. You can protect your self by sales receipts for the sale and even a copy of the sellers drivers lic would help protect you. That does not mean you would not lose your car if it can be shown that the donor was actually stolen though. Probably a very slim chance of that happening since I don't think CA tracks engine serial numbers on cars, but they do on motorcycles.

I could be totally off base here, it has been some 17-18 years since my last build and things do change, although not usually towards less restrictions and less regulation!
Thanks for the clarification Ray. That makes sense regarding the title and proof that the donor parts aren't stolen. My first read was that someone might use the title from the donor car to register a kit....unfortunately, it's been done by others in the past.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a... yet!
Not Ranked     

Anyone here have a LSC 427 Kit [lonestar classic] I could come take a look at? Or a Factory Five MK3?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

Like Steve Minuagnte says, " Fill your library before you fill your garage". If you are new to cobras then you have at least of year of study to get a handle on the cars and various kits availible.

Cobra country offers a good intro book to the subject for $25 or so.

I spent two years of study before I choose and was glad of it. I have learned so much since then as well. Go to the build forms for each brand you are interested in and read them. I went as far as to print them out and read every single post. Very informative!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnakepete View Post
Go to the build forms for each brand you are interested in and read them.
I agree, the forums are invaluable. Early on I decided that I wanted a 427 side oiler, so my project had two parallel phases, engine and "everything else." So searching for an engine and parts gave me time to thoroughly research cars. But even after I found the engine and started the machine work, I still had no idea what I would put it in. Then I found the car and everything came together, but it still took over a year. If you are going to build one, it takes a lot of time and diligence and a ton of reading.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4596
Not Ranked     

Doberman,

As I said earlier, your welcome to come by my house to check out my Mk3. I'll be back home from vacation Thursday afternoon. Just shoot me a pm.

Danny
Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

doberman I sent you a P.M.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Doberman- I have a LSC Cobra and really like it. The extra 4" in the cock pit is great. If you wish, you may call me to talk about this cobra. Just PM or email me. I'm very truthful, just ask Brian form Lone Star. lol !

I'm selling my nicely built 428 FE and can include my bell housing, clutch and Tremec transmission. It would make a great combination for your soon to be cobra. I have a spec sheet, chassis dyno results and photo's. I have a small video on your tube so you can hear it run.

cobrakev@galaxycable.net

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a... yet!
Not Ranked     

Hey all..

Anyone with a FFR MK3 in Northern California? I'm researching and shopping around for a kit and would like to see an MK3 in person.

I'm in Sacramento area, but will be down in San Francisco this weekend. Would love to see some Factory Five cobras and talk with people who built and/or own.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Neutral     

Hello Doberman,

We will be at the Rock House tomorrow morning and there may be a number of FFR MKIII cars there along with samples of many others.

The thing I noticed about your list was that you are focussed on a big Block 427 for the build, that requires some changes in the FFR for it to accomodate the FE engine.

All good information in the thread, you have come to the right place also the FFR forum has a huge amount of info.

http://www.ffcobra.com/

Ken Pike also known as the Street Rod Painter has a banner ad there also.

Welcome to the fun...

Tony R.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

DB. The ERA, Shelby and Kirkham were made for the 427/428 FE.