Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pro vs Con Re: CSX and Superformance/ERA

For the sake of discussion and hearing other more knowledgeable than myself, what would be the advantage of owning a Shelby CSX Cobra as opposed to a Superformance/ERA. Engine/drivetrain/body (fiberglass) being equal. What are suspension/resale value/handling/ build quality/purchase cost/upkeep/ etc. etc. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Ron
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Advantage? None.......let's see where THAT firestorm goes!

All have advantages, the real value is what YOU place value on and what you want to do with the car.

I can make an argument that the SPF suspension is more tunable than the CSX. The CSX has the original round tube frame with both the advantages and disadvantages of that design. The CSX does carry the "Shelby" name and for some that is enough to justify the purchase.

The ERA is very well done but unless you have it factory built there is the question of quality that could be an issue with some self-builders. Again, I have seen ERAs that put anything to shame for quality.

The current CSX fiberglass cars are built side by side with SPF so I would rate finish quality as equal.

The best? The one YOU like and drive!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The OP's question is far too vague for me to respond in detail, so I'll leave Rick's response as the example for others to follow.

Directly to the OP,

Budget is really your only limiting factor, after all, who in their right mind would ever view these cars as a quality investment for their portfolio. Especially given that each manufacturer is constantly pumping out more and more product, making what you may purchase today, outdated by this time next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Advantage? None.......let's see where THAT firestorm goes!

All have advantages, the real value is what YOU place value on and what you want to do with the car.

I can make an argument that the SPF suspension is more tunable than the CSX. The CSX has the original round tube frame with both the advantages and disadvantages of that design. The CSX does carry the "Shelby" name and for some that is enough to justify the purchase.

The ERA is very well done but unless you have it factory built there is the question of quality that could be an issue with some self-builders. Again, I have seen ERAs that put anything to shame for quality.

The current CSX fiberglass cars are built side by side with SPF so I would rate finish quality as almost equal.

The best? The one YOU like and drive!

I have to agree Mr Muck.....Well said indeed.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I agree with all above and will watch from the sidelines and wait to see REAL1's response, if he's out there.')
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

If I were paying CSX money, I'd also consider Kirhkam and ERA. For a big-block car, those three came out on top of my list. Since I wanted to build it myself, I chose an ERA. But if I wanted a roller, personally, I would've gone for a Kirkham or factory-built ERA based on the examples I've seen. CSX has the name but the other two looked better to me.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
CSX has the name but the other two looked better to me.
I think that changed when Shelby died. Now they're just another Cobra replica maker. JMO.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
CSX has the name but the other two looked better to me.
There are a large number of characteristics that will be used to form your final decision. Here are three that count alot in MY book and in MY opinion:

1. Looks - The way the overall body looks is very important to me. And while I haven't seen the ERA, CSX and SPF all side-by-side, based upon my observations over the many years, of the three listed, I prefer the CSX body.

2. Customer Service - From everything that I've read, ERA is much like KMP. They have a "have it your way" mentality and will go overboard to please their customers.

3. Engineering - There are no lightweight billet aluminum suspensions and aluminum rear ends amongst the three listed, so they're approximately the same in my book.

Of course, opinions will vary.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Ahhh... yes opinions will vary... no right answer as mentioned, but alas here's my pecking order of the three mentioned.

ERA - if you want a big block, and better than the real thing alternative, and have some change left over
SPF - if your happy with a small block engine, and have even more change left over.
CSX - if you have a lot of money, and want to spend it all, yet receive no advantages over the other 2 except for the badge's name.

If I were hunting aluminum skin thou... well, that's a no brainer.

Sorry if that upsets people but that's just my humble pecking order
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

I agree with all of the comments above.

I have been really happy with my ERA. Customer Service has been amazing. They just look right to me...that low, menacing stance....they had been my favorite for about 20 years before I even bought mine. I have seen some CSX cars that do not sit "right".

Go to some shows and see as many as you can in person. Try to find a local club as well. You might be able to go for a ride or even drive one.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Here's my 2c

SPF car squished the steering wheel in my lap.

CSX not

Mine was a carbon fiber CSX roller and was perfect.

An aluminum car was not conducive to my area (hail) but if I had to decide between a Shelby and Kirkham aluminum car the originality would go to Shelby but the practicality to Kirkham (but I would still paint it). I'm really drooling over the new Kirkham Daytona Coupe (but I would still paint it).
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for everyone's opinion...

I hope this link continues to bring more comments especially concerning ride/handling qualilty.... though I do not intend to track my car it is 99% street driven. CA Hwy 1 and country roads of beautiful Northern CA most often.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Ahhh... yes opinions will vary... no right answer as mentioned, but alas here's my pecking order of the three mentioned.

ERA - if you want a big block, and better than the real thing alternative, and have some change left over
SPF - if your happy with a small block engine, and have even more change left over.
CSX - if you have a lot of money, and want to spend it all, yet receive no advantages over the other 2 except for the badge's name.

If I were hunting aluminum skin thou... well, that's a no brainer.

Sorry if that upsets people but that's just my humble pecking order
Not quite correct. SPF's can be fitted with either a big or small block. Mine has a 427 FE in it, with no installation issues. Perfect fit.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Besides wanting to (1) build it myself, and (2) use an FE, my top criteria was appearance. I looked at several examples each of SPF, Hurricane, FFR, Kirkham, ERA, Unique, and CSX. Check them out for yourself, but to my eyes, the only ones that really "sat right" were CSX, Kirkham, and ERA. That said, they all are great cars and each company seems to have strong customer service.

You may want to check out these photos too: Compare car profiles
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Explain how the SPF suspension is more tuneable than the CSX ???
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
Explain how the SPF suspension is more tuneable than the CSX ???
As I understand the CSX lower rear arm does not have adjustment at the lower, inner pivots. I could be wrong on that, but the SPF has eccentric adjusters on the lower inner and the upper has a Heim at the outer upper. An original CSX MK III did not have any adjustment on the front upper arm so adjusting caster/camber was difficult. I believe they have added what was done on the AC MK IV and added a Heim joints at the pivot point of the front upper.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think that changed when Shelby died. Now they're just another Cobra replica maker. JMO.
Isn't that just great logic! Get a clue!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
I'm not one to defend Patrick, nor does he need defending, but he is entitled to his opinion about Cobras. It's his logic, not yours.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
Because, I could put together a syndicate, buy the rights to use that name and build a roadster, and then take over production of the car. And then the only thing my car would have in common with the originals was that I have the rights to use that six letter name. So what.
427 Street likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Because, I could put together a syndicate, buy the rights to use that name and build a roadster, and then take over production of the car. And then the only thing my car would have in common with the originals was that I have the rights to use that six letter name. So what.
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle all those feathers. I just don't understand why the passing of Carroll Shelby NOW makes all the cars produced after his death replicas. Does that also mean that every Ferrari produced since Enzo Ferrari's passing is "just a replica"? It's the same thing, isn't it?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Every Cobra built after 1966 is a replica.