Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Looking to buy or build Cobra

Hello to all My name is Ryan and i live in Gig Harbor.I have begun looking at these cars and want to get one in the spring. Any advise on manufactures what to stay away from, engines etc Its a bit confusing. Talked to the folks at Pacific Roadsters in Salem. They sound like a good outfit with a quality product. Any imput on anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Hey Ryan,
Welcome to the best source of information on these cars you could ever find. There are plenty of discussions relating to all the different brands etc. in the All Cobra discussion section. You will need to answer some simple questions to get pointed in the direction:

1.) What is your budget?
2.) How do you intend to use the car?
3.) How important is originality to you?
4.) How big are you physically?

Good start.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Give me a call. I sent you a PM with my number.

Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the tip. I am not to big on originality. I dont want to race the car just cruize ins on sunny days and rapid moves on freway on ramps etc. Im probably in the 30k to 40k range to start. I notice you have the 351 I have read that is a good match for the car. I will either get a 302 a 351 or possibly the 347 stroker. Depending on cost etc. Any thoughts on engines? Thanks in advance Ryan W
Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry for the mix-up. I replied to your e-mail.

Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have a friend that has a red Hurricane with a Keith Craft stroked 428 for sale. Less than $40,000.
I think he has 10,000 miles on it. Nice clean car with the best of everything. You can drive this one home.
He has a Daytona Coupe and the Cobra, he needs to sell one.

Dwight

algunruner@aol.com

Last edited by Dwight; 01-13-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Get together with some local owners near you and look at the different cars. Talk to the owners, maybe drive one if you get the chance. Then decide what course you want to take.
Also, there hasn't been a better time to buy a car already built then right now as prices are low, probably lower than you could build one.
That's my advice.
Larry
Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Start by looking at the For Sale cars at Cobra Country & Ebay. Once you read through all of those & study the pictures you have started your journey. As most will tell you these days, used cars can come at a great bargain but not all cars are equal. If you find something that sparks your interest or that you have questions about you can research the car brand here on the site or just post a question about it. This is a great pool for information about these cars. By spring you should be more than edjimicated about these cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiter View Post
Hello to all My name is Ryan and i live in Gig Harbor.I have begun looking at these cars and want to get one in the spring. Any advise on manufactures what to stay away from, engines etc Its a bit confusing. Talked to the folks at Pacific Roadsters in Salem. They sound like a good outfit with a quality product. Any imput on anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by *13*; 01-13-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

The Double Venom car is on Cobra Country Viper power 6 speed
Great car good price

Chuck
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

PM sent. Give me a call this weekend and we can talk.

Jake
Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Buying a Cobra

sorry wsnt able to call over the weekend. Got busy.I stall would like to talk with you about these. Maybe this coming weekend if that works. I see you have small kids so I dont want to interupt family time. IT turns out Jim Durham lives about a mile from me and I got to see his car and chat a bit. Thanks in advance Ryan White e mail Whiter2@comcast.net
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427 S/C, Full Roller 429ci Super Cobra Jet, RHP Flowed BlueT & RHP Cam, CompCarbs, AirGap, V12 E-Type Jaguar F+R, 4SBBTL
Not Ranked     
Default Newbee Buyer

Cashburn said it best. Determine what you want is paramount, then search with all tools for what your seeking. A daily driver is way different from a show car as much as a race car. Cobras are not a daily in the NW no matter how you spin it, you'll be lucky if you get a few months a year in Western WA. that don't freeze your ass off or get you wet and cold. . :-)

Look before buying as each "build" and especially the "builder" differs greatly one car from the other. Whether you birth the Cobra yourself, either way the builders skills in building a production worthy automobile, and the components used in building the Cobra is the key to a safe, especially a nice handling, and show worthy Cobra--that won't nag you with issues down the road--you get what you pay for.

Make sure you fit the car size wise there are not many luxuries afforded in the Cock Pit of a Cobra for any sized human on a long long drive. Keep it on the road.

Yes, the most important tip, nothing sounds better the a BIG BLOCK!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
Kevin

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ryan, if not familiar with your states Registration, Inspection, Emissions, Paperwork etc requirements for kit cars, link below. Generally, not the same as production vehicles:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843

While SEMA mentions the reference is up to date, may or may not be other changes.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Buy a slightly used one that was made by a pro. Cobra Country, this site and maybe FFCobra (?) are great places to look. Everything about a Cobra is fun: Finding, buying and driving. I haven't had to do much fixing yet, but what I've done is an adventure!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

If I were to do it again....I would buy a used factory built car...And have it inspected by a honest professional "expert"... and I would stick to the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid)...and since I only drive for fun on sunny days and I have no concern about resale...I would have a box stock small block and transmission that could be serviced at any Kwik LUBE !!!! I doubt very much that many of these cars are ever driven to 60% of their potential...have fun...
Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

I agree with WardL and Bartruff1.. I spent a good year on this site reading up on the threads before buying a cobra. The guys on here really know there stuff..

I decided on a factory built ( 1994 build by LA Exotics ) cobra. I searched for a local cobra, so i could have it inspected by my mechanic. If you purchase one from a factory you can call for part numbers ( make sure they are still in business). I chose a simple cobra with a 351 windsor that can be worked on by a garage or I can replace minor things ( seals, belt, oil and filters, gaskets, bolts etc.) myself. Borg warner transmission and a ford 9" rear, which are reliable and any garage can worked on. Hydraulic clutch and disk brakes all around. I also looked for a gel coated fiberglass body. I like the older look and didn't want to be nervous about rock chips. The gel coat cleans up nicely when waxed..I was surprised.

After buying it and driving 3000 miles on it I decided to upgrade the fuel pump, converted the suspension to coilovers, and added a manual choke. Other than that, it's been a fun driver with little worries. I don't plan on car shows just want something to tinker with and drive. I drive it on long road trips with my wife..I drive it into work twice a week on good months. As long as you have a good basic setup you can always upgrade along the way. In my opinion, these cars are so light weight a small block V8 will give you plenty HP.

One other thing make sure to get it on a dyno and tuned..Not for horse power but to make sure it's timing and jetting properly. You don't want these engines to run lean... ever....

Last edited by Leecbr; 02-03-2011 at 07:24 PM..