Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

been thinking about this Roy....that switch may be a manual override for the radiator fan...which is also regulated by the thermostat automatically.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

What do you mean John?

Would it be better to discuss email wise? I have your email address to.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjw289 View Post
What do you mean John?

Would it be better to discuss email wise? I have your email address to.

Thanks
Roy,

1) Fan goes on automatically when radiator/thermostat reaches a certain temp.
2) That switch (if that is what I remember it to be), gives you the ability to turn the fan on manually in case you are getting into some stand still traffic and do no want to wait for thermo to turn on fan.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi John,

I think the switch for the radiator fan that you are referring to is further over to the left? I believe the current owner thinks the switch farthest to the right that we are referring to is a spare switch.

I hopefully will see the car later is week and drive.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: L.A Exotic 1965
Not Ranked     

Weather! Wait until you get to WA...;-)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

After reading SB5585, it does NOT look like it applies to Cobra replicas. The law classifies Street Rods as; ""Street rod vehicle" means a motor vehicle that:
11 (1) Is a 1948 or older vehicle or the vehicle was manufactured
12 after 1948 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949; and
13 (2) Has alterations to one or more of the major component parts
14 listed in RCW 46.80.010 that change the appearance or performance of
15 the vehicle from the original manufacturer's design or has a body
16 constructed from nonoriginal materials." and Custom Vehicle as;

""Custom vehicle" means any motor vehicle that:
21 (1) Is at least thirty years old and of a model year after 1948 or
22 was manufactured to resemble a vehicle at least thirty years old and of
23 a model year after 1948; and
24 (2) Has alterations to one or more of the major component parts
25 listed in RCW 46.80.010 that change the appearance or performance of
26 the vehicle from the original manufacturer's design or has a body
27 constructed from nonoriginal materials."

How do you register a Replica without having to meet emisions, etc?

Last edited by Gun Doc; 10-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

Hey Doc,

SB 5585 does apply. "...was manufactured to resemble a vehicle at least thirty years old and of a model year after 1948..." You'll need to get a WSP inspection first. Then you can get your Cobra licensed as a Collector (collector plates). No emissions for collector cars.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceSnyder; 10-26-2013 at 10:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bruce! I guess I read it wrong. I went to the registration office today and got plates for my truck and bike. While I was there I asked about the Cobra and they gave me a list of requirements for kit cars, which included emissions...
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registration In Washington

It is actually very easy as mentioned and SB 5585 does apply as mentioned.make sure and tell your local Licensing Agency (and Gig Harbor is recommended), that you want your car to be registered as the year is replicates. They will provide you the form to take to the WSP office in Bellevue to check out the car. It will only take a very short time as they look for the serial number etc.
They will talk to you for a few moments and not even check the mechanicals.

The officer that looked at my car joked he needed to go drive it for 30 minutes before passing it. No emissions ever needed. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

DMV clerks are like counter clerks at auto parts stores. They aren't necessarily knowledgeable about all the regs that apply to a non standard application.
Get a copy of the appropriate regs (SB 5585), read it so you're familiar with the applicable parts (highlight if necessary) and take it with you the next time you go to the DMV. Should help sort out any confusion.
If worse comes to worse check with different DMV offices until you find one with someone who can read and comprehend English. Not a crack about anyone in specific but I've been in more than one situation where people just don't comprehend what's written.
DonC
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The clerk at Gig Harbor really did want to help, but wasn't sure about SB5585. He called someone in another office and they told him that it only applied to Street Rods 1948 or older. When I got home I downloaded SB5585 and miss-read it as well. I will be sure to take a hi-lighted copy with me when I go to register it.

Thanks to all who responded!!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am bumping this to the top with hopes that someone here as been through this process recently and can help point me in the right direction…

My story: I moved here from Tennessee in the summer of 2013 my Cobra was registered in TN at the time and I elected to keep the TN registration until it expired. As fate would have it, I had my dizzy gear consume itself and I ended up taking my car to Blood Enterprises to get the engine repaired. VERY LONG story short, my original engine builder screwed up the build and Blood had to rebuild the entire engine. I fought for over a year to get the original builder to buy the repair parts for Blood to do the rebuild. I am now at the point where the car is ready and I need to register it.

I have been to the Gig Harbor DOL no less than three times; each time I get a different story, but no registration. I called DOL in Olympia last Friday and was told I could title register my car under SB5585 with my current TN title. They said; “just take you title to the Gig Harbor DOL and they will title it under SB5585.” Well I tried that this past Saturday and was told I first have to register and title the car as a 2007 Assembled vehicle and once the title comes in, THEN I can change it to a Collector Car and register it under SB5585! I told the counter clerk that is not what I was told by customer service in Olympia. She said she would call Olympia on Monday (today) and check.

I just received the call from the clerk at the Gig Harbor DOL stating that she was right and I had to first register my car as a 2007 Assembled vehicle, because it was on an out of state title, otherwise I would have to pay sales tax (I paid sales tax in 2007 when I first registered the car), but if I registered it as a “regular” car I wouldn’t have to pay the tax and when my title comes in I can then register it as a collector vehicle without the tax!!! Of course I will never pass emissions with my stroked 351W!! So I am caught in a “catch 22!”

I know I am being told nonsense! How can a “regular” car not be taxed, but the same car titled as a collector car is? Has anyone been through this before?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Registration in Washington

Wow what a PITA. Sorry to hear of it. Wish I could help you. Maybe try a different person as i was told differing things by at least 2 people.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Success!! After many months, trips to DOL, calls to Olympia and a visit to the Department of Revenue, my Cobra is finally registered and title applied for as a 1965 Cobra.

I found my original receipt for title from Texas, showing tax paid and the car described as a 1965 Ford Cobra Replica and took it, along with my current Tennessee title to the Department of Revenue in Tacoma. The clerk there was very helpful and since I had owned my car for more than seven years and originally paid sales tax on it, issued me an exemption for sales tax. I took that document, along with my TN title and paperwork from Texas to the Gig Harbor DOL and walked out with my temp plate and registration for a classic, custom vehicle.

This process was by far the most challenging one I’ve faced in three states when registering my car – Including the original registration in Texas. Sure, in Texas I had to get an inspection from DPS and a weight slip from a certified scale, but after one call to the county I knew exactly what I needed. Here I had to educate EVERYONE along the way about the laws. One clerk at Customer Service in Olympia went so far as to tell me that all they did was record keeping. She said if I wanted to challenge what she thought was the law, I needed to get an attorney! Unbelievable!!

I am grateful for SB5585 and all the folks that worked so hard to get it enacted, but our state (or contracted) employees at DOL should really read it and learn what it means.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

Congrats, Gun Doc! Now go out and enjoy the beautiful Washington scenery in your "1965 Ford Cobra Replica."
Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoop View Post
Congrats, Gun Doc! Now go out and enjoy the beautiful Washington scenery in your "1965 Ford Cobra Replica."
I can't quite yet...The car is still at Blood Enterprises, waiting on two linkage pieces, but soon it will be back on the road. It's been a LONG TIME!!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Gun Doc, Glad you got your Cobra registered finally. I was part of getting SB5585 passed back in 2011. It was quite a battle and some DOL people still don't understand it. In 2011 I had to go to an office 150 miles away because my local office didn't believe cars could be retitled under 5585 at that time. We had a contact person in Olympia, Bob Randall, who used to walk local licensing people thru the process, but he's gone now.
Enjoy driving in the NW.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

Contracts Gun. You now have the t shirt. You should join us for our Cruise down the Oregon coast on the 22 July.

Bruce