Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factor Five
Not Ranked     
Default Failed Emissions

This is the year that I have to start doing the emissins test and I failed the idle HC by 10. Now I guess I have to find a shop th e work on EFI. I guess I better plan on this every couple of years.

Mike
Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, sent you a PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factor Five
Not Ranked     

I will call you today, have to go with the wife to the store. Give an hour or two.
Mike
Old 07-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'll be home all day in the shop since the drags are rained out.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Timing

Hi,
Get the timing light out and retard your ignition to 6*. Pull out black plastic spout 1st,then set timing. Also make sure engine is HOT, at least 190*, if you have a lower thermostat then put cardboard infront of rad.Also clean the blade on the throttle body with brake clean, hold open and wipe the edges, that is where the .003 air gap is and will gum up easily.
Perry.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

Mike, What are you doing taking an emisions test? I thought your car is a 65.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Mike,
How did you pass the gas cap test? 10 over on the idle HC is pretty close with a 400 limit. What year is your registration? I'm getting a gt40 replica and am concerned how testing and waivers go.
Dave Miller
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

No one in Washington state should have to do an emisions test on their replica because Washington allows cars of this type to be registered as the year they replicate, not the year they were built. The opperative word here is REPLICA, if you even mention the word KIT, you are in trouble.
There have been many posts on this site about how to get registered as a 65 or 66. The thread started by Ron Going is probably the best. If your car has already been registered as the year it was built, ie '98,'05, or whatever, then you have a bit more of a challenge, but it's not impossible. The original owner, builder of my car made the mistake of saying the car was a kit when he went to register it in '92 after he finished the build and so it was registered as such. By doing some research and being persistant he was able to re-register the car in '06 as a 1966 Cobra replica and got collector plates as well.
Unfortunatly he never got to enjoy this because I bought the car from him shortly thereafter.
Do you research and get your car registered as the law allows here in Washington. In this case you have the law on your side because the law must be applied equally to all.
To have to suffer the idignity of an emisions test on our cars is ridiculous especially when I see all these "smokers" driving around because they live in a zip code where testing is not required.

Ray

Last edited by 1blackbb66; 07-24-2007 at 09:49 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ray

Your info. is no longer correct. I went to the Dept. of Lic. and was given a copy of the rules that went into effect last year.
Quoted fron the D.O.L. rules - "Titles previously issued for Replica Vehicles have an "R" as the first letter of the make followed by what the vehicle looked like (RFORD for example); the year was the year it replicated; the series and body described the vehicle and may or may not include REPLICA, REP, tec. Since most (if not all) replica vehicles are made from kits, we no longer classify them as replicas. Any vehicle titled and licensed as a replica will remain as one."

They now classify the car as a "KitV" and the year on the title is the year that the kit was manufactured, not completed.

Everyone's best bet is to NOT go a D.O.L. office where they know all the new rules. Go to a sub-agent (there are a couple in King Co. that people have had success at) and hope they do it the old way and it's not kicked out of the their computer. I've did alot of research on this before I bought my car. The post by Ron Going was correct when he posted it but the rules have since changed.

Jim

Last edited by jwd; 07-25-2007 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

Jim, How did you get your car rejestered?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog
Jim, How did you get your car rejestered?
Mike

I'm hurt you don't remember I came up to your house last Oct. and we took your title as an example down to the sub-agent at the bottom of the hill.
Unfortunately, some of the other agents are now aware of the new policy because I know of 2 people who went to out of the way sub-agents and were told exactly what I posted above.
Do you know if the one by your house is still "co-operative" with Cobra owners?

Jim
Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Just today I got the WA State Dept. of Licensing to help me out. I know this will not pertain to most but may some. I have an original 1966 289 engine in my SV. I bought the car from KA where it had been registered as a "1998 ASVE". Through pissing and moaning I got the State to agree that the car should be registered by the date of engine (1966), as that is producing the emissions, and not by the year of the kit. They have advised me to have the State Police verify the engine is a 1966 and once this is done they will change the title from "1998 ASVE" to "1966 Shelby AC Cobra". Emissions testing only pertains to 1969 and later vehicles and would only help those with engines predating 1969.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Well I don't know what to say other than the other constant with the law is change. My title just says, year 1966, Make Cobra, series/body style Rep.
I definitly agree.......I never go to the DOL. I have a local sub agent that I'm pratcally on a first name basis with and I gladly pay the extra five bucks.

Ray
Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, Of coarse I remember you. I am going to try to help out another member this weekend at the agency just down the street from my house. I will let you guys know how it goes. I know someday things will change but if I can help a few get through it then Im happy.
MadDog
Old 07-28-2007, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Things went as planned on Saturday we got another FFR regestered as a 65 Roadster. No state patrol inspection and no emisions testing.
MadDog
Old 07-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike

Great news. Was that Jim from Fircrest?

Jim from Gig Harbor
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 5.0 roller W/carb & T-5 WC
Not Ranked     

How do I get ahold of Ron Going. I bought his mom's 66 coupe from him years ago & would love to say hi..................

Matt
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 5.0 roller W/carb & T-5 WC
Not Ranked     

Found some of his posts. sent an e-mail, Thanks, Matt