Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Allen Grant's Rod-In

Allen Grant has invited us (NW Cobra Club) to his 2nd Anual Rod-In and BBQ on Aug 11. If some of you do not know Allen was one of the original Cobra race drivers who drove independently and also for Carroll Shelby. He has a display of cobras to die for. He is also soon to release his own line of cars that , well I will not spoil his announcement. His array of early race paraphernalia will make your mouth water. He said that he has a lot more to display at the gathering. I would not be surprized to see others from that era at the event.

I know this conflicts with the Run to the Mountain but this came up unexpected and what an oppertunity of a lifetime at least I think so. Maby we could do the Run to the Mountain the following weekend or so.

Jim

Last edited by race-it; 07-29-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

It will be a great time with a lot of wonderful people. Allen is expecting three to four hundred people and many cool cars. I think it's a must-do event.

I would like still like to do the ocean run, so lets see if we can all work out a schedule.

Ray
Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carb 302
Not Ranked     

Eileen and I will not be available August 11/12, however the following weekend will work if the group wants to reschedule the Ocean Shores run.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

Jim, Where is his place at?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Squim, WA. We can meet and go up as a group.
Jim
Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

That sounds like a fun cruz and get together. I will trade that for a run to ocean shores.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mark Laine
Not Ranked     

Sounds like fun to us, count us in on the Allen Grant event
Mark and Rita
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To see a few pics of our first visit to Allens click on my camera then click on photo to enlarge any picture. I hope I look so good at 82.

I spoke with Allen's secratary today. The event is called 2nd Anual Grant-O-Rama. It is by special invitation only. I asked if their was a charge or donation for the BBQ. She did not think so. I told her that we would be willing to help out if needed.

Jim T - Drive allens car in parade.
Steve B. - cook burgers
Ray - dish washer

PS. Steve, we expect that you will have your son drive your car in your place!!!!!

Jim

Last edited by race-it; 08-06-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim.........you crack me up!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Jim,
We are in for the trip to Allen Grants place. Sounds like it will be a great day and we look forward to seeing everyone. The ball is in your court, so we need a time and place to meet. Name it, and we will be there.

Jake
Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hopefully should be able to make it as well. Not sure if driving around (meet up with folks in Tacoma) or taking the ferry (meet somewhere near Poulsbo or the Hood Canal Bridge or ???) so, just need the details
Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also, if you check out the following link, it gives more details on the event.

http://wasaac.org/

Looks like several meeting points (tacoma, edmonds, etc) for folks hooking up.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

OK Race-it, what is that other little Atomesque car in the garage? Looks cool.
I have only met Allen Grant twice in my life. My wife and I sat at his dinner table at SAAC I in 1976 and when he walked up to me at SAAC ? in Fontana a couple of years ago and not only remember me, but my name as well. What an extraordinary man!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim

We are in but you will have to let us know a time and meet up place and the route if you are planning one.

Fred
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Wait a minute..........How did I get the dishwasher job?? Oh well, it is for a good cause. I'll bring my rubber gloves.
Depending who is comming from the Seattle side, we could meet at the Shari's off of Sedgewick or further up the road near Silverdale if someone is coming across on the Bremerton ferry. Everyone thats coming from Puyallup/Tacoma could meet at the park & ride at the end of 512 like we did last time.
What time should we be at Allen's?

Ray

Last edited by 1blackbb66; 08-07-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to Tracy, we should meet at the Gig Harbor State Police weigh station 8:00 Saturday morning.(See link on Tracy's reply.)

I forget what car that is in Allens garage. I will try to remember. Does anyone else remember that went up what kind it was

Sorry Ray, Steve had second choice. He suggested we play paper scissors rocks to drive Allens car and he lost, besides he said that he was tired of washing dishes every night. He is a nut case

I will be at Sharis Restaurant on 512 and Canyon saturday morning at 8:45. We can leave to go to meet others at Gig Harbor by 9:00. I will try to contact those comming from Oregon and see if we can meet up. Let ya know later.

Rick, Come up for the event! Drive or fly, We will pick you up at the airport if you fly in Friday. We have plenty of room for guests. Oh, let me warn ya, Don't ride with Steve and this is why.

As I remember it, we were returning from an all day run it was about evening when we spotted a hitch hiker, poor soul! Knowing Steve as we all do we spiked our brakes and braced ourselves for another adventure. Steve with a grin opend the door and said "Hay Bud,need a lift? The guy was thrilled but we all thought, you have no idea!. Now most normal people and I am not saying any Cobra owner is normal but if we were, the very sight of Steves four inch thick shouder harness made to hold only God knows what, would have caused anyone that was normal to think twice, but not this guy. That seat was empty for a reason!!!

Once strapped in, Steve looked back at us with a grin that alerted us to what he calls "Cobra Time". Being a man of faith and conviction I started to..........that was as far as it went and we were off.

Everyone was in a hurry to get home after a long day and that was a delight for Steve as any reason to clean out his exhaust is a good reason. By now it was late in the day and darkness was setting in. The night time enhanced the sight and sound as we drove our Cobras along the curvey roads and valleys. As limiter swithces gave way and each cobra began to omit a constant flash from shift lights we must have given to the locals the eary appearance of fire flys on the hunt. The unmistalable sound those 427's, 347's 289's and 351's make when their limiter switches go off echoed through the valley in a symphaney we just call "Steves song". After several stops to feed Rays thursty beast ( I sware that man needs a tanker truck to follow him around) and clean the June bugs off our windows we were off again.

I never knew before following Steve, just how far wind preasure could smear a June bug acroos my windshield. Anyway we made it back in record time much to his delight but it took several of us quite a while to pry loose the hitch hikers fingers that by now were firmley imbeded in his dash which Steve proudly displays like notches on a gun in the old West.

White as a ghost and crouched down in what I hoped was not something perminant we proped the poor soul up against a local bus terminal. Like a hero recieving the Medal of Honor or the Red Badge of Courage, Ray placed his hat on the guys head that read "Bitten by the Snake" we all saluted and were off. It did look funny as I drove away seeing that crumpled twenty and the note we wrote that said "California or Bust" sticking out of the guys shirt pocket. I dont think the guy ever heard or appreciated Steve's offer as he shouted "Bud, If you ever need a lift" and with a grin, drove off.

Truth or Fiction? That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!

JIm

Last edited by race-it; 08-09-2007 at 09:52 PM..
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Jim,
We will meet you at the Sharis at 8:45. See you then.

Jake
Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factor Five
Not Ranked     

Looks like I will be going.

Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will be at Sharies at 7:45 to eat, if anyone wants to join me.

My number is 253-831-7102

Jim

Last edited by race-it; 08-08-2007 at 11:41 AM..
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

And now for the real story………..
A very reliable source has informed me that Jim, The Bling , has recently completed an on-line creative writing course offered through the University of Almost Certified which is located 31 miles south of You Are Here, ID. His second assignment, which he has posted here, was to be a first person, real life experience. Unfortunately (for me) Jim has wrapped his literally skills around the concept of hyperbole. His essay contains a number of misleading statements. I will address but a few.

“As limiter switches gave way and each Cobra began to omit a constant flash from shift lights we must have given to the locals the eary appearance of fire flies on the hunt.”
That statement would lead the average reader to assume that Cobras were blurred, engines screaming, hair catching on fire and G forces approaching the human limit. The fact is Jim’s rev limiter is set at 3,061 rpms. Jim is an exact guy.

“I never knew before following Steve just how far wind pressure could smear a June bug.”
That statement is the most accurate in Jim’s post. Jim would have a meltdown if a bug would attach it’s self to any part of his vehicle. On a recent run, I assisted Jim in setting his idle rpm. Upon opening the hood I was blinded by the reflection of hundreds of sq. inches of chrome and polished stainless steel. A innocent motorist was distracted by the flash and narrowly missed a septic tank truck when he drifted into the oncoming lane of traffic. After applying sun bloc and donning a welder’s helmet, I managed to get the screwdriver on the adjusting screw and set the idle at 850 rpm. As I was ready to close up the engine bay, thinking we were done, Jim complained that the idle was low as it should be 861 rpm.

Rick,

If you do come up and accept Jim’s offer bring plenty of detailing spray and a roll of micro fiber material as you will be cleaning old 96 quite often. If you get to examine Jim’s engine bay do it on an overcast day. Oh by the way; that little sticker between the chromed four bbl carburetors is an inspection sticker from the American Medical Association allowing surgery to be preformed within the engine bay.

And that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!!!!!

Steve