Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     
Default WA registration

Noticed some Cobra owners have had luck with 1960's Cobra registration at a Lynnwood office. Which one is it? I've tried 2 locations in Clark County for my GT40 with no luck. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default What ??

I don't have any information for you...sorry...perhaps someone who does is dumb like me and doesn't understand Your Question ? I will be bringing a SP into the state next month. What is the problem ?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If your SP is already titled as a 1960's in another state you have no problem getting that transferred to WA. Before about 2000 titling replicas as the year they represented was legal. Since then the law changed to year of kit construction. The problem with that is you are subject to emission testing if you live in a testing area of WA.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDB4 View Post
If your SP is already titled as a 1960's in another state you have no problem getting that transferred to WA. Before about 2000 titling replicas as the year they represented was legal. Since then the law changed to year of kit construction. The problem with that is you are subject to emission testing if you live in a testing area of WA.
So the problem is emission testing and the solution is to register it in the year the replica represents....ok....mine will be new so I don't know if it will be registered in Nevada or not. Good luck to you. They don't test here in Wenatchee...yet.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you are buying the car new you will get an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). You take that to a licensing office for a title. Since you live in Wenatchee you don't have to sweat emission testing. I suppose WA could do a CA thing at some point and test the entire state, but pretty unlikely.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up..

So...if I can bs them into registering it as a 65 that would be a good idea but if not it won't make any difference until I try to sell it in which case it would not be sellable in a market where they test...Saw Lance Saunders of SP on Speed this morning with GT 40 Amon replica. What a beautiful car even after all these years. I think, the best looking car ever.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Now you really got me confused. If you can BS them into titleing it as a 65 it will greatly help you on resale. It would not have to pass emissions tests in most states. I got screwed because mine was already titled from another state as a '98. In WA you can not change a title once it has been issued by another state but if it is untitled a number of guys have gotten '65 titles in Tacoma and Gig Harbor. It is not supposed to be done but some will still do it. It will make your car much more marketable.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I should have said " greatly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff107 View Post
Now you really got me confused. If you can BS them into titleing it as a 65 it will greatly help you on resale. It would not have to pass emissions tests in most states. I got screwed because mine was already titled from another state as a '98. In WA you can not change a title once it has been issued by another state but if it is untitled a number of guys have gotten '65 titles in Tacoma and Gig Harbor. It is not supposed to be done but some will still do it. It will make your car much more marketable.
It is untitled, will have the MSO. I will sure give it a try, it also appears that if you can title it as +30 you can get a special plate that doesn't need to be renewed and doesn't have to be mounted on the front...I'm learning...
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

I just sent you a pm.MadDog
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

I got my BDR registered at Fife DOL in early 2006. I just took in the MSO which said it was a 65 replica. They asked me if I wanted it registered as an 06 or a 65. I chose the 65 with Collector Plates. So I never have to pay for tabs again!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

I'am getting ready to register my SPF any more tips for Wa. state
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you aren't in an emissions area or don't care about getting a 1960's year on your title it's pretty easy. Just take your MSO and its receipt in to a licensing office. I tried 5 different offices spread over WA and they all were wise to the current year stipulation or called the state about it.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

I'am in Pierce Co. Do essembled cars or kit cars get emission tested ?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

From this site: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/c...tive_pages.htm
"Where is testing required?
Emission testing is required by federal law in areas that have had problems meeting health-based air quality standards. In Washington, emission testing is required in the urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane counties. "

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/pdfs/Zip_codes07.pdf
Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carb 302
Not Ranked     

FOMOCONUT,
In Pierce County you are required to have a passing emission test in order to get new tabs. The first two years do not require testing however on the third year and every other year thereafter you have to get tested. There are two options (perhaps more):
1. Register the vehicle to an address outside of the emission area with family or friends.
2. Fail the first test then show receipts that you spent $150.00 to try to get in compliance, then fail the second test and you get an exemption. It adds up to a $75.00 permit per year. I have heard of folks that detune their vehicles in order to pass then tune them back to normal. I did that years ago with a 68 GT Mustang.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

2. Fail the first test then show receipts that you spent $150.00 to try to get in compliance, then fail the second test and you get an exemption. It adds up to a $75.00 permit per year. I have heard of folks that detune their vehicles in order to pass then tune them back to normal. I did that years ago with a 68 GT Mustang.

I can live with option #2.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mastiff107,

Now you really got me confused. If you can BS them into titling it as a 65 it will greatly help you on resale.

In any other state but Calif. that would most likely work, but we have had several with their titles pulled that came from other states. Our CHP and other law enforcement have more or less unofficial orders to run any plate they see on any replica to see if it has the SPCNS number. If not, then they will stop you, and your title will be pulled.

I am not trying to butt in on your discussion as I know Washington is far different from here, but be wary of selling a car to anyone in California as they will try to come back on the seller at times.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There seems to be some discrepancy on transferring titles between states. Some states actually require the year as what the replica represents. As I understand it if you legally get a 1965 title on a replica in a state like Oregon, California is obligated to recognize it as such on a title transfer. The same applies on a transfer from say Oregon to Washington. Getting a Washington title 'under the radar' and then transferring it to California might technically be illegal though. However up until about 1998 Washington did register replicas as the year they represent.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

If your car is already titled in another state your stuck with what you got. I regestered mine in Washington about three years ago as a 65 roadster and got collector plates. My car would not pass any emissions test with a stroker crate motor. MadDog
Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Ron,

Being somewhat (totally!) naive about the peoples republic of California.......what the heck is an SPCNS number and where would it appear on your paperwork?

I managed to get my replica titled in New Mexico as a 66 Cobra. Haven't yet applied for antique plates, but plan to.

Paul