14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     
Default Your Thoughts On Pearl Paint

Hey guys, it looks like I might finally get my replica painted. The body is fiberglass and I am looking at a dark blue metallic color. On the pallet the color looks really good. Then we added some pearl and it looked fantastic! Someone told me that pearl paint looks good on metal bodied cars, but seems lacking on fiberglass bodied cars. I just don't know and would welcome your comments and any photographs you may have of fiberglass Cobras with pearl paint.

Thanks,
steve
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

I can't see any reason for the opinion about body material. In either case your painting over primer. Make sure you use a good two part (epoxy) primer on fiberglass.

Pearl paint does add an additional factor down the road as far as paint matching (ding fixes).
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

CSX3288
Here is an original in pearl white.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     
Default I like mine

It's been great for us.Did a repaint on the tilt front end this year and got alot of thums up remarks.I think its about the 10th piant job were I have used Pearl in the clear , dont use to much it will get cloudy,Have fun WB3It realy POPs in the sun light..
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I had my car repainted last winter and I let the wife pick the color. She picked a red pearl paint. There is 4 coats gold pearl, 9 coats red, and 5 coats clear. There was a mistake in the paint, which they are fixing now. They thought they could blend it in, but ended up having to paint whole left side of car. This one is on them, next one will be on me. As far as I can see, this would be the only drawback, trying to match, if something happens....

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
the only drawback, trying to match, if something happens....
Nail hit. Touch ups and such more difficult. Otherwise a touch of pearl always adds a little extra something to the right paint job. I personally don't like the idea of pearl on a Cobra, but that's just me.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pearl will add a lot of pop to just about any paint job, more so when viewed in sunlight. As mentioned above, it is impossible to touch up. It also requires more effort when painting. Since it is a high solid paint, it wants to separate the moment you stop mixing it. The panels of the car need to be placed relative to their postion on the car for painting, i.e.: hood and trunk lid laid flat and the doors held vertical. When painting a little shake or flick of the wrist after each pass will keep the solids suspended during the process. As you work down the car, you need to paint the appropriate panel as you work past its opening to keep the matching areas using the same paint and level in the gun. An experienced painter will worth the money for this type of paint. The car shown has 2004 VW paint codes with the pearl in the dark blue only.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this matter. It will give me something to think about for the next few days until I have to make a final decision. Generally, how often do Cobra paint jobs need touched up, and where are the problem areas ?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Not Ranked     

It's not a question of how often paint needs to be touched up. It's all personal preference. Some can live with rock chips and scratches and some can't. If you can't, forget about the pearl, you'll thank me the first time you try to touch it up. The problem areas would be the nose, rock from the car in front of you, and the the front of the rear fenders. Rocks thrown up by the front wheels. You can see the spats I had made just for this issue. One easy touch up that I have found with my pearl paint, use a pearl nail polish of the same color, to touch up little rock chips.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminor View Post
where are the problem areas ?
Below the headlights and across the front cowl/lower valance area (above/below oil cooler and around the front driving/marker lights). Also directly in front of each rear wheelwell, just aft of the sidepipes exit (a common area for stones and debris to get kicked up by the front tires as you turn). This is a popular spot to apply Invicishield/3M clear tape/clear bras.

-Dean
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hotfingrs - I like the look and functionallity of the spats and have considered them for some time. What are yours made from, are they permanent, and how are they attached to the car. Good looking ride by the way!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The place that painted the car, also made these. They are like a tonneau cover material and have emblem tape on the back. This is a double sided tape.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.............I'll let you know how it turns out. The car is at the paint shop now and the shop owner seems really stoked to get to take on this project. Cobras are a BIG deal around here.
steve