S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Working up the courage to show the new quote to my wife .

Regards,

Kevin
Kevin,
You just get 2 invoices. One for the amount you want you wife to see, and the second for the balance.

Bob Olthoff (RIP) was full of great quotes. One of my favorites was:
"Our worst nightmare is that when we die, our wive's will sell the Cobra for what we told them we had in it."

Last edited by SPF1061; 12-18-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 514 SVO ... now a 4.6L with an AOD!
Not Ranked     

Shell Valley has been in business for over 40 years. We sell Cobra kits in any stage, from a basic kit to a complete kit and feature all new parts, no donor car required which saves you money. We also have an increased foot box area to give you more room. When we sell a kit, all doors, hood and trunk are hinged. The holes in the body for the roll bar, gas tank filler neck, brake pedal assembly and steering column are pre cut to take the guess work out when you recieve your kit. The body is pre-mounted on the chassis and holes are are also pre-drilled for the gas tank and cowl hoop. You can also have about any engine combination from any small or big block Ford or Chevy. Our front suspension is based off the Mustang II and the rear suspension is a fully adjustable 4-Link. We have every part you need to complete yor kit and popular upgrades such as Wilwood brake kits and brake pedals and QA1 coilover shock packages. Check out our specials, we currently have 10% off any Cobra kit. See us on the web at Shell Valley Classic Wheels, Inc. or call us at 1-888-246-0900
Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm new here and don't care if the guy was a troll. This thread has some A+ information. I've been dreaming of building one of these since I was a kid. I know that puts me in a category with a million other guys, but hopefully some day I'll make the time to do this. I've had some cool toys, but the cobra is a very sexy machine, and to know that you built it makes it even sweeter.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Noob piling on

Ditto the comments from other Noobs.
Obviously my first post after lurking here for weeks. Am I a 'flash in the pan' in terms of interest? Possibly -- lot's of variables go into plunking down this level of cash.

But for those of you who contributed to the thread, I want you to know that I've read and re-read this thread probably 3-4x. It lays out the landscape quite well, the various price levels, feature/benefit matching, etc.
So, again, kudos for the effort put in. And I appreciate info like Mr.Mustang's 'how to buy a used Cobra' -- very helpful.

Signed,
Want to be a cool kid one day...
Old 11-23-2013, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default And another

Another newbie that found this thread useful.

I've loved Shelby Cobra's since I was 6 and always wanted one. I'm over 40 now and am looking to build one. It may take another year or two before I pull the trigger. I'm leaning towards Unique - I ran into a couple of their cars at some local shows. I liked the look and tightness over the FF I've seen. ERA comes in second, though. I'll just have to keep digging

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LSC427/Engine Factory 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

I am about to retire and going to buy a kit. My budget is about $40-$50k and I have been doing research on the various manufacturers. I have been leaning toward Lone Star simply because I like the look and am nearly 6'2" tall. I plan on putting either a 347 or 363 stroker in it with a 6 speed Tremec tranny. I am hearing rumors now that Lone Star may have sold off and is out of the business. Can anyone confirm that? If they have, can someone tell me who else would be a good fit for my dream? I saw a mention of Excalibur but can't find their cobras on the web site. I looked at the Shell Valley but just didn't like the basic look of it for some reason. Just to add, I am going with the Titanium (PPG 35989) with black ghost striping on it for the color.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadbpa View Post
My budget is about $40-$50k ... am nearly 6'2" tall. ... I plan on putting either a 347 or 363 stroker in it....
With those numbers, I would look hard at a Hurricane. 427 Roadster Models - Hurricane Motorsports With today's cars, 6'2" is not a big deal at all and you can get your stroker built well without breaking the bank. You can make it all work for under $50k and it will look quite nice.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

$50K should buy you a very nice mid-run ERA. The FIA version if you insist on a small block. And you fit-Patrick does. You won't have funny shapes or poor engineering to live with. Finding your dream colors is near impossible with any make car...be prepared to compromise that for a quality car.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Lonestar is not out of business. They are still, reportedly, making Cobra kits. I finished mine about 18 months ago and LOVE it! However, it is a very Do-it-your-own-way kind of kit. The instruction manual is terrible (if you can call it a manual). Basically, you get the parts and decide how you want to put them together - unlike many manufacturers with step-by-step, exact instructions.

The other thing to consider is that Lonestar did recently change ownership. Brian is still there, but is not the controlling owner anymore. Most of their business is now concentrating on producing the Bailey Blade. We have been promised that they will continue to produce the cobra and supply parts. I haven't been out there since they started working on the Blade. So, YMMV.

Again, I love my Lonestar. I enjoyed figuring out how to put it together and getting it done. It was a great sense of accomplishment. Rather than just buying one, I can say, "Yeah, I built that!"
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would look hard at a Hurricane. [url=http://www.hurricane-motorsports.com/427_roadster/models.asp]427 .
I would have to agree. After 15 years of researchingf Cobras, that's what I built and I couldn't be happier. I'm 6'2" and fit perfectly in the car.
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the heads up on the Hurricane. Does anyone know the wheelbase length on it? I can only presume it to be 90" but I couldn't find it on the web-site.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the Hurricane. Does anyone know the wheelbase length on it? I can only presume it to be 90" but I couldn't find it on the web-site.
Hurricane 427s are 90" wheelbase, same as the original. And the Hurricane 427 body is spot on, as the molds where formed from an original 1965 Shelby Cobra CSX3xxxx body.

I will throw in another vote for Hurricane Motorsports as a company as well. They have been nothing short of fabulous to work with. I researched, and waited 13 years before being able to make the move. Mike, Steve, Dusty at HMS are just great.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anybody using a 6 speed. I am trying to decide between the strokers or going with a 418W with 3.73 gears but want a smooth highway cruise. Power range starts at 2000 rpm on the 418 but I just would like to think about a six speed.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Anybody using a 6 speed. I am trying to decide between the strokers or going with a 418W with 3.73 gears but want a smooth highway cruise. Power range starts at 2000 rpm on the 418 but I just would like to think about a six speed.
With 26" tires, a 3.73 rear, and a .64 overdrive, which is what I have in my Tremec TKO600, which is a five speed, you will turn 2000 RPM at 65 MPH and 2500 RPM at 81 MPH. FWIW, I have a 3.54 rear, and an FE up front, in my ERA. The gearing, for me, is perfect.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

unless you are really hopped up on building there are some good buys out there in the price range you are looking. I was really hopped up and glad I built my own. Just sayin.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snakebitekit is right... but there are always killer deals on used Cobras out there. And slightly used Cobras at that. It's because most people find that Cobras are simply not for them. Frankly, they're a PITA. So, if you don't have your heart set on a special color, a particular dash configuration, wipers that hang in one way or the other, radiators that have a special angle, pedals that come from one direction rather than the other, hips that are just right, windshields that have the perfect angle, and so on, then you should buy used. But whatever you do, wait a few months and see if the feeling just goes away on its own accord.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do anybody have a dax cobra around here ?
I live in belgium and al the brands in this topic aren't for sale over here .
The thing is,i would like to register iT as an oldtimer so iT must be over 30 years old.
I have send a mail to the company that sells factory five in Holland and they told me that american cars must have a lot of changes before they become street legal in europe.
Otherwise i would consider to buy a secondhand in the USA.

Excuse me for my english writing,iT isnt good and an i pad in flemish that correct everything isn't helping.

Bart
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklemming View Post
Do anybody have a dax cobra around here ?
I live in belgium and al the brands in this topic aren't for sale over here .
The thing is,i would like to register iT as an oldtimer so iT must be over 30 years old.
I have send a mail to the company that sells factory five in Holland and they told me that american cars must have a lot of changes before they become street legal in europe.
Otherwise i would consider to buy a secondhand in the USA.

Excuse me for my english writing,iT isnt good and an i pad in flemish that correct everything isn't helping.

Bart
I think you might have better luck over at the UK Cobra Club forum. DAX is a British company and a lot of guys over there own them.

Even though this is a global forum ...and one that you're welcome to participate in ...it tends to be more focused on North America.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanx .
I am not registerd on that forum.
But i Will try it.

Bart
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklemming View Post
Thanx .
I am not registerd on that forum.
But i Will try it.

Bart
Bart try looking at Cobracountry.com and you will see a couple of Cobras for sale that are over 30 years old. ( including mine E.R.A. 427SC Cobra EXP002, Guards Red, For Sale )Even with the cost of shipping it can be cheaper than paying the higher taxes for a newer Cobra. You also won't see another one like yours very often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: