S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Cobraphemeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Tanman has only be on the site that one time. Has not even come back on to check replies.
Exactly. He falls in to the 99.99% of the populace that shows a brief, albeit intense, interest in actually owning a Cobra. The odds are overwhelming that he will never follow through with it. A "cobraphemeron," to coin a phrase.
FuzzyDiceRide likes this.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

You won't find them mentioned much here because they are not an advertiser and they host their own forum, but you might check out Lone Star Classics out of Fort Worth. Here's a couple of pictures of mine, I am just finisher her up. You can also check out the complete build on my web site so you can see the kits in detail and the steps it took me to build it.

Red Venom Cobra
Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

IndyCobra,

Where are you located? I live in Hendricks county and drive my Cobra to work in Indy on a regular basis.

John
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Ladies and gents, the last time this person was here was 1 minute after he posted his first and only thread 12-08-2011 04:08 PM. Have we all been had by a troll,after all,it is the season.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Ladies and gents, the last time this person was here was 1 minute after he posted his first and only thread 12-08-2011 04:08 PM. Have we all been had by a troll,after all,it is the season.
No, Bill, I don't think he was a troll. I think it was exactly as I said -- someone who, for that short window of time, really thought about getting a Cobra and really, really wanted it. But that window closed quickly, and, that's that. Happens all the time, but most of them don't bother posting here. Flygirl is another one that probably will never get her Cobra either.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

The way I feel is that it's almost irrelevant whether or not the actual individual who asks "the question" ever follows through or not. The positive thing is that it generates some good discussion and provides updated reference material for the dozens of other newbies and Cobra wannabe's who visit the site but are reluctant to initiate the thread themselves.
Hoity likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 12-11-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
The way I feel is that it's almost irrelevant whether or not the actual individual who asks "the question" ever follows through or not. The positive thing is that it generates some good discussion and provides updated reference material for the dozens of other newbies and Cobra wannabe's who visit the site but are reluctant to initiate the thread themselves.
Yeah, you're probably right; point taken.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
IndyCobra,

Where are you located? I live in Hendricks county and drive my Cobra to work in Indy on a regular basis.

John
I live in Martinsville off of 44. Once it gets warm again, I'd like to connect up with some local owners. Seems the Indy Cobra Club is not very active for Shelby owners.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Even though this guy didn't stick around, there is still some good information in this thread.

I might well end up being a cobrapheremon myself, but I have always loved these cars and we all started this journey with a 'dream'. Some of us are lucky enough to actually have the dream realize.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all the great info this forum presents a new enthusiast as I start my journey and live my dream.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuchris2000 View Post
Even though this guy didn't stick around, there is still some good information in this thread.

I might well end up being a cobrapheremon myself, but I have always loved these cars and we all started this journey with a 'dream'. Some of us are lucky enough to actually have the dream realize.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all the great info this forum presents a new enthusiast as I start my journey and live my dream.
I usually have a bad feeling surrounding first posts. This time I have a good one.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, Bill, I don't think he was a troll. I think it was exactly as I said -- someone who, for that short window of time, really thought about getting a Cobra and really, really wanted it. But that window closed quickly, and, that's that. Happens all the time, but most of them don't bother posting here. Flygirl is another one that probably will never get her Cobra either.
A troll he was and he got you guys in to a tizzy which is what trolls do

Last Activity: 12-12-2011 04:10 PM

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
A troll he was and he got you guys in to a tizzy which is what trolls do Last Activity: 12-12-2011 04:10 PM
I love to tizzy.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I'm OK with It

I hope to get more serious about a Cobra in a couple of years and found the foregoing discussion interesting. So all was not for naught (or something like that)

Chris
Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Newbie here. Just a note to say I appreciated the info here also, so all your time wasn't wasted!

Just returned from Mecum auction in Iowa and came within a whisker of buying a FF Cobra. Didn't work out, but really got my interest going. I am more inclined to buy a car already completed. So will start doing my research on the various kits out there. Any more advice on how to go about this is very much appreciated!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think it may have been another manufacturer and his company name was mentioned as a possible go to....so he went away. There are one or two manufacturer's I know of that have never spent a dime with CC and has tried every way possible to get his name on the board.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pass the soapbox please!

Not referring to your post, Clois - that's hilarious if a manufacturer actually stoops to that level to get some free mileage.

Don't know about anyone else but I didn't see any tizzy. 3 different newbies have chimed in and said they found the discussion and information helpful. I'm sure many others at least found it interesting, so who cares if the OP was a troll or somebody who just learned Cobras are not for him? Maybe he up and died after his first post - who knows? Some folks just prefer to see a half-empty glass I suppose.

Many people here have been around for a long time and lived the Cobra ownership experience from beginning to end. Multiple times in some cases. So its understandable that you become jaded and tired of seeing the same newbie questions and postings over and over again.

As a result, more and more excited prospective new owners are greeted with skepticism and gruff dismissals to go away and use the search function instead of bothering the elite, established Cobra gurus, VIP's and experts who are busy basking in the magnificence of higher plane existence. I wonder why they even take the time to reply in the first place. Those who've been lurking and learning see this and think more than twice about making their own forum debuts when they begin to feel closer towards actually making a purchase.

For me I still feel the excitement and the memory of dreaming about a Cobra is still fresh in my mind, even though I have been driving one now for over 10 years. Empathy can be a troublesome thing when you're caught up in living your own life, but when you lose that, I imagine life actually becomes less worth living.

Back to the actual topic, though - I still wish it could be possible to devise a factual, objective listing that compares Cobra replicas on a set format that leaves it up to the individual to determine what is a positive feature to him and what is a drawback. I'd attempt it myself but I have no spreadsheet or word processing skills.

Actually - I've just decided this minute that instead of just talking, I'll compile a draft using my car and post it up for critique, flaming or hopefully refinement and development. At the very least it could be fun and provoke some spirited, good natured mayhem and bloodshed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So its understandable that you become jaded and tired of seeing the same newbie questions and postings over and over again.
We're going to take RodKnock and Chas out back and hit them with big sticks because of the cammer thread. We can just add Bill to that list, but maybe not hit him quite as hard. How does that sound?

Last edited by patrickt; 07-25-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Agree on the value of these posts. I just visited ERA on Monday to see the progress on my kit (took the wife and kids to Six Flags New England and it took them about 10 seconds to figure out that we'd have to drive right past ERA to get there...busted!). Anyway, took a few photos of my newly powder coated chassis and my footboxes in process of hand laying the glass. Got a revised quote from Peter with all the options I've added, so these posts help me keep the excitement going. Working up the courage to show the new quote to my wife .

Regards,

Kevin
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Draft for Cobra replica guide posted in new thread:
The Unofficial Guide to Cobra Replicas

Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The perfect response. I've been browsing the Cobra Forums for a while now along with a friend. He's given up on his dream of building or owning a Cobra but I am still researching and saving and posts like this one are helpful. Thanks.