S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Bart try looking at Cobracountry.com and you will see a couple of Cobras for sale that are over 30 years old. ( including mine E.R.A. 427SC Cobra EXP002, Guards Red, For Sale )Even with the cost of shipping it can be cheaper than paying the higher taxes for a newer Cobra. You also won't see another one like yours very often.
What a great write-up! http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...02-history.pdf
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Just fun dam cars to drive. Drove my to work this morning (for the mini car/boat show in parking lot. Top down looking up at that threatening sky but now blue sky and thinking about driving home. Car runs great!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm getting ready to purchase my first Shelby Cobra replica and I'm trying to do some homework. The guy I'm buying it from is telling me it's 1 of 37 of this particular kit as the company that produced this kit was sued for making an EXACT duplicate sometime in the 1980's. I have looked and looked and can't find anything about replica company that was sued for making exact replicas in the 1980's. Any info would be helpful. I love the car, I think it's priced fairly I just want to dig up some history if possible. Thanks for helping a Newbie. Rick from Noblesville Indiana.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinkins View Post
I'm getting ready to purchase my first Shelby Cobra replica and I'm trying to do some homework. The guy I'm buying it from is telling me it's 1 of 37 of this particular kit as the company that produced this kit was sued for making an EXACT duplicate sometime in the 1980's. I have looked and looked and can't find anything about replica company that was sued for making exact replicas in the 1980's. Any info would be helpful. I love the car, I think it's priced fairly I just want to dig up some history if possible. Thanks for helping a Newbie. Rick from Noblesville Indiana.
Perhaps a little more information and some pictures would help.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Chevy LS3 supercharged
Not Ranked     

why not be the first to import a XCS Cobra from the UK its unique space frame chassis has a very high tec suspension system known as camber compensation and anti roll. Its a system that give a constant foot print on the road with suspension movement and also gives anti roll without the use of a roll bar linking the two wheels together. The car has received very good press in the UK over the last year and is all ready considered to be one of the best Cobras so far, Have a look on there website its very informative
XCS Designs
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2015, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Any reviews on antique and collectible?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Any reviews on antique and collectible?
Start reading: Antique & Collectibles - Club Cobra
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Looks like the OP never came back for his answer
Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I'm going to buy the Era slabside and would like some advice to help me see if I can't do some or a lot of the work. I am okay with normal maintenance on more basic cars and that's about it. I'm embarrassed to say tat I have generally paid others to do work on my cars and am not experienced. I've read a number of threads and still am not sure what or how much I can do.

Has anyone here built a kit who had my lack of experience and how did it work out? ERA would need probably a full year to build one for me and yet I see that it can be done much quicker than their scheduling allows them, if I could do it.

thanks,

Gordon
Old 03-10-2015, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

The most complex mechanical task I did before assembling my ERA was putting a new water pump on my old Camaro. I always did my own oil changes, but that was it. I was concerned with my lack of experience so I went with ERA's bonded body option and didn't mess with body work or paint. The car went together nicely and I consider it to be a very well-built car, in spite of my lack of experience. There is a difference between lack of experience and lack of ability. If I were you, I'd focus more on your self-assessment of your capabilities. The skills you'll need to install the drivetrain, suspension, wiring, carpeting, etc. can all be learned and end with good results if you're handy and capable. So, in my opinion, lack of experience won't prevent you from assembling a nice car but lack of ability will, and only you can answer that.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Gordon, a friend that home built 2 ERAs, and after reviewing with ERA, decided to have ERA perform some of the build.

An item I recall was bonding the body to the chassis, although he did all the body prep and painting. A consideration would be completing the body prep and painting prior to the bonding step.

ERA might still be using Conn Custom Car in Enfield CT, 20 miles North of their facility, for the body prep and painting.

Conn Custom Car |
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Kevin and Don. This gives me hope. I am willing and still have all my fingers. I'm going to go the bonded body route and do the rest. I am comfortable with the wiring and interior, and with help can do the engine and trans. I'm good then with all the little bits, I think.

I am going to see if I can find some guys near me in eastern PA that have built them and see about some help.

Gordon
Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gordon,

I'm in Eastern PA just west of Philly. Where in PA are you?

Kevin
Old 03-16-2015, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I'm on the Delaware south of Easton about 20 miles. I'm increasingly thinking of having a good deal of it or largely all of it built for me and just end up doing the little bits at the end. I'd like to have it sooner than later.

I will keep you posted and would love to meet sometime.

Gordon
Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Gordon,

You're about 1 1/2 hours from me. 113 is a nice drive up your way and it wouldn't take much for me to cruise in that direction. I'll PM my contact info to you.

Kevin
Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure it's true you could get an ERA kit, or partial assembly and complete it faster than ERA can deliver you a completed car. To get an unpainted car from them and do the body paint yourself, or find a body shop to do it, will probably take longer than it takes ERA to have one of their local painters do it. Once out of the paint shop it all goes together pretty quickly if you have the drive train ready to go. But again, ERA can probably do it quicker. My 2 cents anyway.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm not sure it's true you could get an ERA kit, or partial assembly and complete it faster than ERA can deliver you a completed car. To get an unpainted car from them and do the body paint yourself, or find a body shop to do it, will probably take longer than it takes ERA to have one of their local painters do it. Once out of the paint shop it all goes together pretty quickly if you have the drive train ready to go. But again, ERA can probably do it quicker. My 2 cents anyway.
At the speed with which I work on my ERA, had I chosen to build it, not only would the finished product not have been nearly as nice, but I think it would have probably taken me about a year and a half to do. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I've seen the video where the ERA boys build the car at Carlisle in a weekend, but for us "working class stiffs," with a typical nicely-equipped garage, but not a professional one, I think a year to a year and a half is a true time estimation. You can get one from them built to your specs in less time than that. And, it won't have any dumb mistakes that come along with it.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Yeah, yeah - a year and half build. Ha ha. You're just poking fun at my 4-year build time for #782 doing my own bonding, riveting, body prep, painting, and assembly. But if I do say so it turned out wonderful. I think even Doug would be proud.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Yeah, yeah - a year and half build. Ha ha. You're just poking fun at my 4-year build time for #782 doing my own bonding, riveting, body prep, painting, and assembly. But if I do say so it turned out wonderful. I think even Doug would be proud.
I would never even consider doing the bonding, riveting, body prep, and painting. Never, no way, no how. If for some reason I was forced to, that would easily add two years to the build. Maybe three, possibly four. No, it would be a complete deal killer. I just wouldn't do it Sorry, no ERA for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan really built his car. I only assembled mine. I wanted to do at least some of the work for the satisfaction of doing it myself. My wife was supportive, but I don't know if that would have lasted if I turned my garage into a body shop or constructed a paint booth..., so I got my car as a "half roller", meaning the rear suspension was in, body bonded and painted. I did the rest and wound up removing the gas tank and rear-end and disassembling one side of the rear to replace a faulty bearing anyway. Still, I finished the car in 12 months, almost to the day. So, I don't think you will save any time doing the work yourself - unless you're retired and can work on it a lot. You have to decide what you want to do and go for it. Best hobby ever, that's for sure.