April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #535 Kirkham 427, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Diff. Cooler Installation on Comp cars & SC's

Does anyone have pictures and details of the differential oil cooler kit that was fitted to the comp cars and SC's? In particular, I would like to know the size of the oil cooler and where it was mounted.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I have pictures of the 198 car but

A98Coupe I only have pictures of the 198 car but no way to get them on the internet. I believe that Mocal or Dec something make and sell coolers for the cobras. NOT CHEAP. I was looking myself at this. The other thing is getting clean cool air to the cooler. I am looking at trans and rearend for my ERA car. Rick L.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Best photo that I have seen:

More at:

http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/cobrastory.htm
Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That is a good shot and story about 3015.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #535 Kirkham 427, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Many thanks Supercobra, that's exactly what I was looking for. Interesting to see twin 'Bendix' style pumps installed. I guess they were plumbed in parallel so that one pump was on stand-by in case the other failed?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I believe they were pretty much guaranteed to fail. Especially if they were turned on with cool oil, the fuel pumps didn't like the viscosity of gear oil.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good evening. They were not plumbed in parallel in case one failed. In general, only one was installed on most of the race cars in the beginning. The S/C also. The mounting bracket was on the frame in the early run of 3100 street cars also. Might go out further in production. The two reasons why two were used was first, the mounting and plumbing was simple and direct, the bracket lent itself to back to back mounting easily with room for the additional pump, but second, and more importantly, by using two pumps in parallel not in series, the volume of circulation was almost doubled without an increase in pressure. Pressure was not an issue, nor desirable. More volume for the circulation was the desired result, which was accomplished by two of the same pumps. I have seen black cap hi performance models, and blue dot versions of original Bendix pumps on unrestored cars in the sixties and seventies. All with quite small 1/8 NPT female fittings. Then came Elmira pumps still quite close and finally the current Facet pump is pretty close, except for color, clamping, label, and wiring. Mounting bracket is also a little off but still quite good for the average Cobra lunatic. Hope this helps. Be careful studying 3015. But don't get me started .That's a whole another story. good by to all for now.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA154 427 HR
Not Ranked     

CSX3050