1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default 260 cobra engine code numbers

I would like to know the engine code numbers and location on the block for 260 engines used on the first 75 cobras. I know that some 1962 blocks have the numbers cast on top of the block behind the intake manifold and they start with c2,were these used by Shelby.

The 1963 c3 260 blocks are cast low on the block. I have one that was cast at the end of 1962. My question is,were both the c2 and c3 blocks used for the 1962 year? If not what is the correct block number?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The few known today are suffix J (casting number behind intake) blocks if I recall correctly. Last fall I bought the original camshaft, oil pan, and valve covers removed from a Cobra HP260 engine by the original buyer decades ago. He even sent me the original Ford serial number for the block (the HP260s were numbered by Ford like they subsequently did five bolt HP289s). Cobras weren't the only recipients of off line built HP260s by Ford. Apparently Holman-Moody got some and Dearborn Steel Tube got some for test mule cars. At SAAC-31 a man tried to sell me one with a Holman-Moody "bird" intake that was supposed to have come out of a European rally car. Based on the engine serial number of a still running engine I got parts from and research last winter there must have been about 200 engines made that went someplace.

Block wise we believe there was nothing special. The special parts known to date were intakes, connecting rods, cylinder heads, camshafts, and distributors. I have examined one car's XE rods and cylinder heads. I have the camshaft for one engine and seen the distributor from another.

Last edited by Dan Case; 04-21-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan, I ordered a 50th anniversary 8000 car and in the spirit of the car and build I decided to put a 260 engine in it. I do have a c2 J code 260 engine that came out of a Fairlane that I plan on using for the build.I would like to use the proper t-10 transmission in this car but do not have a clue on the specifications for it any help will be appreciated.
Mark
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I have always questioned what the HP 260's that Shelby used actually consisted of. 3.80 bore x 2.87 stroke but what about the Block, heads and cam. Did the heads have screw in studs? In late 64 I had a friend with a 63 Falcon Sprint with the 2x4 Carter set up from Shelby. We thought it was pretty cool but without a cam change I'm sure it was over carbureted. But what did two 16 year olds know.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Mark,
Early Cobras including well into the HP289 conversion used a iron case T-10s the same size and hook ups as a Galaxie I believe because that is where early car owners hunt parts from (early Galaxies that is). It is the later Galaxie Ford top loader unit that drops right in the place of T10s in Cobras for guys putting in stroker engines with more power than a T-10 can safely handle.

Rick,
So far I have not found anything different than260 Fairlane production except heads, intake, distributor, connecting rods, and camshaft.

#1 Not all Cobras to get 260s got HP 260s. One original owner car came with and still has its bone stock Fairlane 2V engine for example. An author friend that has interviewed (long ago) one of the people at the Ford engine lab that built up engines to send to Shelby and his associates (not all early cars were finished in California) indicated that they built up as many HP260s as they had parts for but if needed used and sent whatever they had.

Blocks - so far all that I know about are production Fairlane suffix J castings. One car owner has the engine for his car stored. As far as he knows the short block has never been apart as HP260 was replaced with a HP289 full race engine purchased from Shelby circa 1965. I hope to get to visit him and dismantle that engine for pictures this summer.

Cylinder heads - I have not found any claimed to have been from a HP260 with screw in studs. I believe some engines got stock heads but some came with strange XE numbered castings. The XE heads I held in my hands last summer did not have screw in studs.

Rods - I have only found a couple of short blocks or pieces of them left so far. One set of rods look very much like HP289 rods expect they have XE numbers on them. The set I examined last fall were right beside the XE heads.

Distributors - so far the best I can tell some HP260s in Cobras received Fairlane units modified for higher rpm. The common new car pictures show no vacuum advance.

Oil pans- stock Fairlane 221/260 with a temperature sensor added to their sumps.

Camshafts - this is the biggest mystery part. Last fall I obtained the original MECHANICAL flat tappet camshaft from a late HP260 engine out of a Cobra. The original buyer removed the part decades ago but kept it. It is a Ford casting and has a unique Ford casting code. I have sent it off to be completely analyzed and profiled so that after all these decades I might know what specifications were used.

Intakes - lots of versions here

1) At least one car, iron 2V Ford Fairlane

2) Some cars, cast iron Ford XE non-production 4V

3) Some cars, cast iron preproduction SK 4V

4) Some cars cast aluminum 4V Holman-Moody 260 Rally intake. The casting is very clearly based on the Ford 260 iron 2V intakes feature wise and port/runner design/sizes.

5) Some cars same as above except most of Holman-Moody thunderbird logo milled off.

6) Hand full at most of cars with COBRA aluminum 4V made from the reworked Holman-Moody pattern.

(One Shelby advertisement published in 1963 claims that this intake was the "stock" intake for Cobras with Ford Fairlane 260 engine. This intake was a regular factory option for Cobras until the high rise designs showed up at the very end of 1964. There is also a TIGER lettered version that was a dealer option for Tigers until sometime early 1965 when a TIGER high rise intake became available.)

Note: Legend says that a Holley R-2668 4V carburetor was the mate to the intakes I have listed above as numbers 4, 5, and 6. I have found just two pictures taken in 1963 that show a Holley with one of these intakes and the Holley shown is a R-2599.

Last edited by Dan Case; 04-22-2011 at 04:38 AM..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

From an old post on another site I answered years ago.....

Rick Wood’s pictures of CSX2000’s engine made in the 1980s.

Ford 1-4V iron intake SK12569

engine block C2OE-6015-J

fan belt FoMoCo® (in oval) C2OE-6620-AD (could be AB) MADE IN USA AU-1-2 515 (August 1 1962 maybe?)

distributor vacuum advance port pluged, some type of unusal part number sticker on side faded to obsecurity
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you ever find out the spoecs for the cam? Im building a 260 and im curious what they used...thanx jim
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I got the camshaft back but the man lost the print out he got when the cam was analyzed. I think the project got less exciting to him when he saw that the data fit in the tolerances of a production HP289 camshaft. I have found somebody else with a HP260 that came out of a Cobra and they said that the camshaft in that engine was as close as they could tell like the subseqent HP289 part.

I have the used camshafts out of Cobras, a HP260 piece and the shaft from a CSX23XX car. I don't have a digital camshaft mapping system but someday I will probably have a bare block available long enough to use a degree wheel and dial indicators to do a same set up comparison myself.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanx i apperiate the help
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Dan you could easily set it up between a couple of vee blocks with a degree wheel, pointer and a dial indicator. Great info as always guys thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: