Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Originality Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/)
-   -   Fastening floor mats (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/116848-fastening-floor-mats.html)

Clayboy 08-18-2012 07:41 PM

Fastening floor mats

A while back Grubby started a post about keeping his floor mats in place... there were numerous responses, but the one that caught my attention was the response from Jeff Gagnon (1985 CCX) about the "correct way" was to use lift-a-dots. Does anyone have any photos of the placement on any original cars?
Thanks for the help.
Bob

mickmate 08-18-2012 11:33 PM

The seats held the mats under them. The front floor mats had them at the back corners about 1.5" in from each edge.

Clayboy 08-19-2012 08:45 AM

Thanks for the response Nick. You are always the go-to-guy!

Bob

patty442 08-19-2012 07:04 PM

hi. there are four lit the dots on each front mat. 1.5 inches?, not exactly, but good enough.

Clayboy 08-19-2012 08:55 PM

patty442,
Your response has now piqued my interest a bit more in regard to originality. Do you have a photo or a measurement... is 1.5 inches too much or too little?

Bob

mickmate 08-19-2012 09:44 PM

Hmmm I've decided to edit it to 3/4 in from the back edge, I'll stay with the 1-1/2" from the sides. I have photos and measurements but not with me right now.

Clayboy 08-20-2012 09:13 AM

Nick,
Is there any truth to the four Lift-a-Dot fasteners and are they at each corner??? :confused: Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get back and settled in from your trip out west.
Thanks,
Bob

rsk289 08-21-2012 05:09 AM

Guys, do you mean 'lift-the-dots'? - or do you mean these, standard carpet clips for '50s and '60s Brit cars?

Woolies Trim - Carpet Fasteners

mickmate 08-21-2012 07:48 AM

Neat product but they definitely used lift-the-dot or lift-a-dot for the front mats.

rsk289 08-21-2012 08:28 AM

Really? Lift-the-dots? How weird - I've never, ever seen these used for carpet fixings. Treading on them would make a right mess of an ally floor pan. I don't doubt you're right, I'm just amazed as no other British car of the period used hood fasteners for carpet.

Woolies Trim - Lift the Dot

Roger

edit - I stand corrected - I've just found a site that lists them for MG. You learn something every day.

BAsque1 08-21-2012 02:15 PM

I just started using the mat-locks from GG Bailey.com they are a bit of a ***** to install. Space to negotiate in my car is limited, will repor on effectiveness, if it does not work a screw with a finishing washer will be... I hate the crumbled up mats!!! and they could be dangerous in the driver side.

patty442 08-23-2012 05:45 PM

carpet

Hi. Four lift the dots for each front mat. No question, no stories. I have my original floor mats and my original aluminum floor pans. The lift the dots receivers are sort of crimped into the carpet compressing the rubber backing of the carpet and covering the carpet on the top- upper surface.There is a dedicated tool for installing them correctly into the carpet. The four lift the dots pins, current available are a little different than original, the style of the head now is more round and the finish is different, are thru bolted with a nut on the underside of the car. They are not threaded into the floor. A hole drilled - passed through and a nut on the back side. I will check if it is a regular hex nut or aerotite, can't remember right now. I will have to check. The AC, idea for lift the dots made for easier servicing (cleaning) of the front mat, where all the wear and dirt would accumulate from your big, fat, dirty,shoes. The carpet under the seat is held down by the seat tracks mainly, with a touch of yellowish glue at the perifery, but not all the way out to the intersecting vertical carpeting. The aluminum floor is NOT painted but raw. There was a foot /heal pad on both the driver and the passenger sides, no questions. The pad protected the original poor quality carpet from rapid deterioration. All of the above pertains to a 427 car. I am not sure of 289 stuff. I have owned my car for 39 years. Mickmate ( Nick) is a very nice guy, and a good friend.

mickmate 08-23-2012 07:38 PM

I don't know who this guy is! Kidding of course, as friends we agree to disagree sometimes. I'm saying two at the back on the drivers side, front held by slits around pedals. Four on passenger side. Same dimensions will work.

A-Snake 08-23-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1206685)
I don't know who this guy is! Kidding of course, as friends we agree to disagree sometimes. I'm saying two at the back on the drivers side, front held by slits around pedals. Four on passenger side. Same dimensions will work.

+1
2 on drivers side, 4 on passenger side

Clayboy 08-27-2012 04:40 PM

After searching around a bit I found an example of Lift-a-Dot fasteners holding the floor mats in place on CSX3004.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=8540

It also shows two fasteners in front on the passenger side. I hope this is helpful and clears things up at bit, although we all know that there is no one right way.
Bob
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=8541

mickmate 08-27-2012 04:45 PM

Great shots Bob thanks.

BAsque1 08-28-2012 01:26 PM

Hi folks:
I purchased the Matguards clamps DON"T work in my car the cross member of the seat base makes it impossible to fit they way is supposed hence the holding pin gets bent and allows the carpet to move. I tried today to bolt it down to the floor bt the self tapping screws do not go throgh the metal floor, tried making a pilot drill hole that did not work either. I will try from the bottom up tomorrow on the way to a car cruise. If anyone has any good ideas please I welcome it. I hate crumbled up carpets. My carpets are 11" wide x 26" long rectangular.
Hope to hear from someone.
Lou

jualwatt 08-28-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAsque1 (Post 1207530)
Hi folks:
I purchased the Matguards clamps DON"T work in my car the cross member of the seat base makes it impossible to fit they way is supposed hence the holding pin gets bent and allows the carpet to move. I tried today to bolt it down to the floor bt the self tapping screws do not go throgh the metal floor, tried making a pilot drill hole that did not work either. I will try from the bottom up tomorrow on the way to a car cruise. If anyone has any good ideas please I welcome it. I hate crumbled up carpets. My carpets are 11" wide x 26" long rectangular.
Hope to hear from someone.
Lou

If your floors are stainless steel, a carbide tip at a low RPM will help. Stainless is fairly tough stuff to drill. Not sure what you have, but based on what you have tried....

dcdoug 08-28-2012 03:29 PM

I had a project a while back drilling out some hardened steel in an area where I had to use a hand drill %/ and found that these bits cut much better than other carbide tip bits. Don't let the "multipurpose" language dissuade you. They work great and Ace Hardware has them - Artu Multipurpose Drill Bit.

mickmate 08-28-2012 07:11 PM

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6817/ae7863a7d7.jpg
I guess this good shot answers that question. If we look at the underside of foot boxes we will find out if they used self tappers or nut type studs.