1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 09-14-2018, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default Correct 427 S/C Dash Layout

I've searched this site, and others, and found some information but most all the links and photos posted are 10+ years old and missing or dead links.

I've been through all my books by Colin Comer, Dave Freidman, etc. and can't find a complete photo.

I'm wiring my entire build now, including the dash. I bought authentic Smiths gauges from Nisonger. I want to be as original looking as possible.

So can anyone post pictures of or links to pictures of the dash, instruments, switches of real authentic S/C cars. What toggle switches were used? What was used for headlights and wiper motor?

edit:

I just found a useful thread for switches here:
Headlight and instrument light switch question

Thanks in advance...

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!

Last edited by bwcobra15; 09-14-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 3020 Competition, 427; CSX 4385 Aluminum Body, 427; CSX 2096, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
I've searched this site, and others, and found some information but most all the links and photos posted are 10+ years old and missing or dead links.

I've been through all my books by Colin Comer, Dave Freidman, etc. and can't find a complete photo.

I'm wiring my entire build now, including the dash. I bought authentic Smiths gauges from Nisonger. I want to be as original looking as possible.

So can anyone post pictures of or links to pictures of the dash, instruments, switches of real authentic S/C cars. What toggle switches were used? What was used for headlights and wiper motor?

edit:

Thanks in advance...
Would it be the same on my car?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson View Post
Would it be the same on my car?
Well, yes! I appears so, George.
Brittany told me I can come over to your garage anytime and crawl all over csx3020 but,
eh.. guess I can wait until the monthly lunch is 2 miles from your house again

I have quite a library of pictures of your comp car ... and found this one that helps a lot:

There are two toggles switch to the left of the tach hidden by the steering wheel - what are those?

and what is the toggle to the right of the tach?

I need to find a source for the rotary knobs for wiper and panel lights. anybody?

That time I got to ride shotgun for two blocks

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!

Last edited by bwcobra15; 09-14-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

The jeweled/chrome panel light housings can be sourced from Europa Spares.

https://www.europaspares.com/auto-el...ng-lights.html

I am not aware of any North American-based source for these.

-Steve
Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In general, Lucas toggle switches are not rare. Same for the Lucas rheostats for the dimmer. The momentary push button is available from a number of supply places like Finish Line.
That particular wiper switch/bezel is another story but if you're not too concerned with the bezel, there are other Lucas wiper switches/bezels that could be adapted. Lucas knobs are common on eBay as well as other suppliers.
Make sure you buy a Lucas bezel tool to tighten the bezels. They're easy to scratch w/o one and the tool isn't that expensive.
Larry
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

edit:

Thanks in advance...

Bob:

I have a fairly detailed build log on the ffcars site. You can google it with the key words 'ffcars reasonably authentic'. While my build is based on a Factory Five, I have a great deal of info on the exact parts that I used to duplicate the original S/C (competition) dash with pics from original 427 S/C cars. This could be of some help to you. PM me if you want.

Best,
Ron (picah on both forums)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of our standard SC dash layout.

New Build
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
Here is a picture of our standard SC dash layout.

New Build
BEAUTIFUL! Thats the EXACT look I'm going for

Can you tell me from where you sources the Lucas toggle switches and the wiper and dimmer knobs?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 3020 Competition, 427; CSX 4385 Aluminum Body, 427; CSX 2096, 289
Not Ranked     

One switch is the fuel pumps
The second one is the lights
And the third one is the differential cooler I believe
Old 10-21-2018, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Make sure you buy a Lucas bezel tool to tighten the bezels. They're easy to scratch w/o one and the tool isn't that expensive.
Larry
I was able to aquire authentic Lucas toggle switches and the correct wiper and dimmer knobs. I'm so excited! I finished some fiberglass trim and fill work on the dash this weekend, taking it to the trim shop tomorrow to get covered, then I'll install my Smiths instrument gauges and Lucas switches and resume wiring.

And Larry, I made my own Lucas bezel tool from a 14mm 6 point deep socket. Works like a charm!
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Awesome, looks good!
Larry
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

The wiper switch you show doesn't look like a PRS7 to me, but if it works who cares?
There were several variants of PRS7 switches, all with a pressed aluminium casing. The one for a Cobra wiper motor (DR3) needs to be the 6-wire, not the 5-wire. The switch will power the wiper motor in reverse to park the blades down below the screen - they do a fun little dance when you switch off. The switch is the same as that used in XK Jaguars amongst other cars.
Roger

Last edited by rsk289; 10-22-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-22-2018, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was able to aquire authentic Lucas toggle switches and the correct wiper and dimmer knobs. I'm so excited! I finished some fiberglass trim and fill work on the dash this weekend, taking it to the trim shop tomorrow to get covered, then I'll install my Smiths instrument gauges and Lucas switches and resume wiring.

And Larry, I made my own Lucas bezel tool from a 14mm 6 point deep socket. Works like a charm!
Cool tool !

I need to install my Nisonger gauge's and switches, so when can you loan me your tool ? lol...

Good job buddy.

But actually guys, a little speedo goes all to the right side of the dash, per Carroll's mandate to screw with the sanctioning body needing to have a speedometer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: