Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Default Pusher Fans

So I've noticed that almost all replicas I've seen don't have pusher fans, but most of the old photos and documentation shows 427 S/C's with them. Is there an unwritten rule that replicas should not have them?
I think they look really cool, but almost no other SPF's have them.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

A lot of cobras have them. I think in warmer climates it is a benefit as long as a puller fan is behind the radiator. I think it also adds to the "cool" factor. No pun intended. John

35olds likes this.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Spf

Do you have any photos of your SPF with the fans installed?

The forward slanting radiator seems like it will cause the fans to be too far foward. Would like to see how you mounted them.

Thanks,

JGC
Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

You got that right! The pusher fans look way cool!
35olds likes this.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I don't have a SPF but there was a thread that discussed mounting pusher fans on them.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...usher+fans+SPF
John

Last edited by double ugly; 11-09-2006 at 04:32 AM..
Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmiles442
So I've noticed that almost all replicas I've seen don't have pusher fans, but most of the old photos and documentation shows 427 S/C's with them. Is there an unwritten rule that replicas should not have them?
I think they look really cool, but almost no other SPF's have them.
I think that you will see more of the pusher fan set-ups on the "original" style builds. They look especially good when the radiator and fans are leaned back at the period correct angle. I have seen a decrease in their use lately as well, but I do think it is because individual style has been evolving. What may be very cool is someone developing a modern version of the fans. I love the 60 era pusher fans and if we ever build another period correct car we will use them again.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Who carries the original style of pusher fans and how much are they?
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=116

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_duell
Thank You, Sir.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
Note that they all are "original-style" ...they are not real accurate reproductions of the original ones.
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by computerworks; 11-09-2006 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

"Original" Cobras used pusher fans ONLY because there was no such thing as modern high CFM puller fans. If modern puller fans were available back then, you would have never seen twin pushers on a Cobra. Today, they're really only for looks, they don't work so well if you have a decent amount of horsepower.
Tim
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I like the looks of the pusher fans too. I have used other kits a few times but never liked the looks of the perforated black steel mounting bars. Finishline has a nice kits and is always a pleasure to work with. These may be more original looking but I never checked. Original look was not my drive or that important so we started building our own fan kit with polished aluminum mounting bars because I could not find them anywhere else.
Some fashion of a 90 degree bracket was needed to mount back into various locations/surfaces and steel was easier for most to weld I do agree. So we include a 90 degree foot if you will for each end that you cut to length with a simple hacksaw and then bolt in place. Our kit still requires you to drill the mounting holes but is as complete and universal as we could make it.
The other area that needs to be addressed is how they are turned on and off. I am a big believer that all fans should be designed with a temp sensors that come on automatically if the engine is running and it reaches a given temp. They also have a manual over-ride switch to turn on whenever desired. The auto feature is there if somebody forgets to turn fans on. These features can be wired a couple of ways but we feel strongly about the type of sensor used for auto on/off. I prefer the sensor that is threaded into the engine and not the type that has a capillary tube/sensor that you push into the radiator fins or clamp to the radiator hose. The radiator temp can be misleading under several conditions allowing big $$$ repairs.
All need to be wired through a 30 amp relay with wire size capable of the start up amperage demands. This kit type is adjustable for temp. the fans turn on with the auto function and need the key on so battery drain is not an issue.
Bottom line for me is too make sure the fan kit is mounted well so fans not hit the radiator. Use a relay and wiring that will handle the amp draw. Use a sensor type that senses engine temp. Sensors in or on the radiator and not the engine can allow melt down under several conditions if not noticed quickly enough. Use a separate wiring run for the pusher fans so you have 2 systems (pusher = puller fans) that must fail to allow heat damage to your baby.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Madmiles,
please check my gallery. I have them for sale. $195.00. Look in the parts for sale forum under pusher fans for sale.
Thanks for looking.
Byron.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

MADMILES,

When you check my gallery, look on down into my Shell Valley build and you will see the fans I made for that car as well.

Thanks again,
Byron
Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I have two original spec pusher fans on my Kirkham. They look great but I never use them.

Pick up a piece of debris or a rock, etc., thru the nose, have them hit a spinning fan blade and you can have a real hazard to your radiator or even your car's body. I have seen it happen. Were I to do it over, I would leave them off and just run a high quality 16" Spal high volume puller. Even without the hazard, more is just overkill.

My .02 cents worth.

Bud
Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Neutral     

I think Ron would know best, as he's done lots of research on the fan issue, but I THINK it goes something like this... comp cars had no fan, S/Cs had a single fan, street cars had the dual fans. Some S/Cs were probably converted to dual fan at some point as well.

On my car, I have the Spal 16 puller fan, and the dual pushers. I had the Spal go bad, and the dual pushers were definitely not enough by themselves. However, I had the ciruit overheat (all three were on one circuit) and I rewired them seperate and had to replace the Lucas relay for the pushers, and I can tell you that the 16" puller by itself, does not cool as well as all three together. So I run all three together and my car runs cool as can be even in 100* air.
35olds and kmn5 like this.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Bud Man's right...they can create some "complications."

Had a good sized bird go thwump into the fans...a mess you wouldn't believe.

But I do like them. I think they add back the flow they cut off from their presence.

35olds likes this.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Install

I just checked out my SPF last night regarding installing the pusher fans. I have the fan setup from Cobra Restorers with the single mounting bar. My SPF is a 2006, I am not sure they are all they same, but the should be similar for the recent cars.

There is a contour in the plastic filler, between the rad and wheel well with openings for the oil lines. There is almost a little ledge formed in the plastic under the hose opening. On the other side, in the wheel well, there is the top of the bracket that holds the bumper/overriders. A small square hole would accomodate the bar stock the fans are on and the bar would bolt on top of the bracket. Looks like the fans would be positioned at the correct height and far enough from the rad for no concern.

This weekend or next I get the fans in and post pictures.

JGC
Old 04-30-2019, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique , FE428
Not Ranked     

I just added to my Unique ! How do I add a picture ? Does anyone have a simple answer ?

Check out my profile for pictures . I got the info right here on this site, about Grainger , they have the stuff you need . I went to mennards for the steel tubing and everything else in my shop . Fabbed up myself , easy . Not expensive . Wired through a switch on dash that was not being used . And , through a relay .
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by 35olds; 12-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: to ad check out my page
Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone get a bird flying in there? Sorry had to ask

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: