Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Guideline to building an accurate Cobra Replica

http://www.sounds-legal.com/Document...aGuideline.pdf

I have seen this posted elsewhere and I am sure you have all seen it. As I am getting closer to finishing my car, I reviewed it again and noticed a couple of things I missed before.

It says the original S&H air cleaner should have a wingnut. If this is true, any idea what the wingnut looks like?

It also says the aluminum door opening trim had FOMOCO stamped in the center. Anyone have a FOMOCO stamp I can borrow, if true of course.

Is this getting detailed enough?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Mod Note...

Edited your thread title to add "Replica" to the description.

That list has been around for a while...there are a lot of inaccuracies.

Don't bother with the fomoco.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Tmi

Thanks.

Sometimes I think there is too much info out there.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

You mind elaborating on what is not correct or is there to much to list?

Still can't find anywhere the part number for the correct Lucas rearview mirror...
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Mod Note...

Don't bother with the fomoco.
Yeah,

Like AC using second hand/quality parts would have stamped "FoMoCo" on a soft aluminum piece of trim........................................

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC View Post

I have seen this posted elsewhere and I am sure you have all seen it. As I am getting closer to finishing my car, I reviewed it again and noticed a couple of things I missed before.

It says the original S&H air cleaner should have a wingnut. If this is true, any idea what the wingnut looks like?

It also says the aluminum door opening trim had FOMOCO stamped in the center. Anyone have a FOMOCO stamp I can borrow, if true of course.

Thanks,

Jack
With all due respect.. if you're getting down to this level of granularity, why build SPF? Just go drive the thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
With all due respect.. if you're getting down to this level of granularity, why build SPF?
In my experience, when someone starts out "With all due respect..." a stiletto tends to follow.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
You mind elaborating on what is not correct or is there to much to list?

Still can't find anywhere the part number for the correct Lucas rearview mirror...
It's a Lucas 103 mirror. Keep in mind it has a different bolt pattern than the "replica" mirror used on ALL Cobra replicas. If you plan to use a real Lucas, be prepared to deal with the hole issue.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC View Post

Thanks,

Jack
Guideline to building an "ACCURATE" Cobra replica...

$$$

and more

$$$

and more

$$$

Frankly, it is almost impossible to do. (Depending upon how accurate you really want to get). At some SAAC conventions, they were pulling the dip sticks out of the motors to see the date stamp! The cars were put together with British bolts; the true seat tracks are not available; I could go on and on and on. Truly making a clone is a lot of work and a lot of money.

But, if you are really interested, I'd suggest giving my brother Thomas a call. Not many people know more about the nitty gritty details than he does. BTW, the door sils didn't have FoMoCo on them.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

soo lets see ; an accurate reproduction of a 44 year old hot rod car that kept changing >?

one word = NUTS.

better Idea: make it close, make it work, have fun, lather, repeat.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

It's very cool to build an accurate version of a real Shelby Cobra, but what's the point..it's still a replica. Too me it is just for the owners satisfaction to be as accurate as possible, only a few on-lookers notice and have a clue what their lookin at. A 90 inch wheel base, an close to accurate body, an FE motor, pin-drive wheels and the usual signage are the most noteable characteristics.....there is no end to it.

Just buy a real shelby for a couple of million..or buy a Kirkham..that's even better.

Old Bill
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Bill:

You bring up good points. I have gone back and forth on this exact question as I am trying to build a very accurate street car. I put a bunch of time into it but I truely enjoy the research. I'm building an ERA car and I have come to some road blocks that I can't overcome from an originality perspective. You are correct about the owners satisfaction part, actually dead on. I do it for myself and myself only. Most of the details I have put into my car no one other some another crazy nut like me would even be able to tell. I do it because I love the details.

It is kind of sad for me that as you also pointed out regardless of what I do with my car it will never be an original CSX car. I just want to drive it as much as I can and enjoy it.

At some point I will entertain a Kirkham as that will be my next step.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm building an ERA car and I have come to some road blocks that I can't overcome from an originality perspective.
What sort of road blocks are bothering you? Aside from the obvious ones like frame and body, I mean....
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you trying to be a wise ass?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are you trying to be a wise ass?
No, I was quite serious.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well?

428street -- Should we gather from your silence that the square frame and glass body are the issues that are troubling you? Or is that this subject is just too painful for you to talk about?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The square frame and glass body are not the issues. I knew that going into it. The road blocks in "my mind" are the s/c type trunk and the firewall configuration which is not close to a s/c or street car. I understand 99% of the people build s/c's which is fine. Since I started this project years ago my knowledge base has grown considerably speaking specifically about the street car config so my desire has grown. These cars are different things to different people. They will never be "as original" but I'd like to get mine close. Different strokes for different volks.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The road blocks in "my mind" are the s/c type trunk and the firewall configuration which is not close to a s/c or street car.
I agree -- the trunk is not doable. I was looking at the shot below of an original street Cobra. The firewall though I think you might have a shot at. The stuff on the original Cobra's firewall was pretty spartan. You could reroute the ERA's stuff (fuse box, solenoid, relays, etc.) and, if you chose, put another piece of aluminum in place, or over, the firewall and then route the Cobra-original items back there to at least look the same. That might not be as difficult as you think.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree on the firewall but it is a project and I've already spoke to both Doug and Peter who think I am nuts for doing it. They did it for Peter's two clones but it was a project even for Doug. So, is it doable? Yes. Is it possiblely more work then I personally can handle? Probably. I did ask Peter the other day why the wiper motor and VR were reversed as I would think that would be easy to do from a wiring harness perspective and the way the wiper motor and "linkage" lays out you would have to just reverse the motor. I am sure it is much more complicated then that.

I'm just going to enjoy this car for what it is and drive it until my wife tells me to come home!...maybe some day I will go to the next level...this is a lifelong project for me and I enjoy the research as much as the build.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default SC Trunk

Hello, Call Nick at Acton Custom, he can make the SC aluminum trunk for your car and it will look as close to original as possible. I have purchased several items for my build and he is very detail oriented.
good luck, karl

www.actoncustom.com