Old 05-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Tim,
Look at my car in the gallery if you like something slightly darker. Mine has a touch of pearl in it (no metallic). Plays very well in the sunlight.
Even back in the day, each guy painting a car for Carroll had his own interpretation of Guradsman Blue. I believe Carroll mentioned the fact that no one could ever agree on what it was supposed to be in the book "Cobra Ferrari Wars".
-Good Luck

I looked at your gallery ... the lightning really does make a difference. The part shadow, part sun photo illustrates how the color changes with the amount of light. I am sure it looks even better in real life.

Thanks guys for all the photos and suggestions ... keep 'em coming!

- Tim
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra re-creation based on Kirkham aluminum body and chassis, Original 1965 Ford 427 Side Oiler and Ford Toploader transmission
Neutral     

Some photos here of my blue Cobra

http://richsd.smugmug.com/gallery/38...25757562_STAbS

Last edited by richsd; 06-01-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     
Default Shades of Blue.....

Hello Tim,
I don't have my SPF yet but it's galaxy blue. When I read the HOTROD article back in '65 it was a red 'roadster' with a divider in the grill area and no roll bar. It gets kinda fuzzy from then on. Yes, picking a color is as difficult as choosing a motor. 209

Last edited by 209; 06-01-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Tim, I saw Bernica's CSX4250 in person a couple years ago, when it was for sale by its prior owner. A very, very nice blue. It's painted a 1998 Ford Taurus Blue.

I haven't seen Rokndad's LeMans blue in person, but he has excellent taste and it looks gorgeous in the photos. As I mentioned previously to you, color is the most difficult choice, but there's just something about that medium-to-dark blue that really captures the essence of the Cobra.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsd View Post

Checked out your gallery ... beautiful car! The color is aptly named, it's got to be one of the darker shades of Blue out there, looks good.

- Tim
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tim, I saw Bernica's CSX4250 in person a couple years ago, when it was for sale by its prior owner. A very, very nice blue. It's painted a 1998 Ford Taurus Blue.

I haven't seen Rokndad's LeMans blue in person, but he has excellent taste and it looks gorgeous in the photos. As I mentioned previously to you, color is the most difficult choice, but there's just something about that medium-to-dark blue that really captures the essence of the Cobra.
Rodney,

I am looking mostly in the medium to dark Blue range, will need to see more cars in person. There seems to be a varying amount of metal or pearl mixed into the paint, so gives it that little bit of sparkle. Got my eyes open.

Looks like 'paint' color was an easy choice for you !!

- Tim
Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

It may help to get some larger paint chips of the final color versions. and look at them at night , and in different light.

Are you having ERA paint it - or a CA painter >?

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
It may help to get some larger paint chips of the final color versions. and look at them at night , and in different light.

Are you having ERA paint it - or a CA painter >?

Steve

Steve,

The paint chip will most likely be a car ... that's probably the best way for me to really get a sense of how it will look.

As it stands now, I plan to have one of ERA vendors paint the car. From what I understand, they powder coat the frame, bond the body to the frame then send it out for paint. Then it comes back and they start assembly.

If you have any interesting Blue cars come though your shop, let me know and I'll come down for a look.

Thanks!

- Tim
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Rodney,

I am looking mostly in the medium to dark Blue range, will need to see more cars in person. There seems to be a varying amount of metal or pearl mixed into the paint, so gives it that little bit of sparkle. Got my eyes open.

Looks like 'paint' color was an easy choice for you !!

- Tim
Tim, I love blue, black and red on Cobras. Ultimately, I think blue would win out, but then I would have to pick between ten different blues. Yes, absolutely, no joke, one of the best selling points of an aluminum car, at least for me, was that a color choice wasn't necessary. Brushed or polished, or both.

Now, if I can get just stop all the "Is that chrome paint" questions.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

- Anyone have photos of a Cobra with Ford 'Sonic Blue Pearl Metallic' or 'Vista Blue Metallic' ?

Paint Codes Below:

2005 Mustang
Sonic Blue Pearl Metallic SN/M7095

2006 Mustang
Vista Blue Metallic G9/M7147A

If so, please post.

Thanks!

- Tim
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Navy Blue, no stripes is a deep rich color. Don't see too many of them and I get a lot of comments on it. I thought I wanted LeMans blue with white stripes until I saw this car.

The photo didn't seem to load. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38491533@N05/3945768484/

Last edited by dcdoug; 09-22-2009 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: photo didn't seem to load
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My preference is towards a darker color, but as they say, I'll know it when I see it.

Tim,
Examine a New Beetle color from circa 2003-05. It's an off the shelf, single stage- plus -clear blue with a hint of violet. Never knew the name. It is not a trick, change- colors paint.

It's similar to my violet-blue custom mix but much easier to maintain.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Here is Indigo blue with Wimbledon white meatballs and LeMans stripes with Porsche guards red fender stripe.

FIA Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Navy Blue, no stripes is a deep rich color. Don't see too many of them and I get a lot of comments on it. I thought I wanted LeMans blue with white stripes until I saw this car.

The photo didn't seem to load. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38491533@N05/3945768484/

dcdoug,

Although it might be a bit too dark for me, this could be a very interesting color for me to look into further, I do like it. Do you have a paint code, or know if this color was used on a production car ?

Thanks!

- Tim
Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Same color scheme on my ERA 289 FIA cobra (#2047)

FIA Mike
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
PPG Indigo Blue gets me lots of compliments and a best paint trophy. Not original though.

The color changes quite a bit depending on the lighting, looks very light in bright sun and almost black other times.

Deciding the color was a fun process, enjoy!
Just checked out your gallery, and that has to be one of the best 'Blues' ive seen.

Wondering how close it is to the Midnight Blue shown in Trevor's book e.g. pp212,-13,-57. Looks pretty close.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
dcdoug,

Although it might be a bit too dark for me, this could be a very interesting color for me to look into further, I do like it. Do you have a paint code, or know if this color was used on a production car ?

Thanks!

- Tim
This is the Navy Blue currently offered as one of the standard colors on a Shelby CSX car. I think it is the same Navy Blue that you could special order on an original Cobra, but I am not positive about that. I can probably get the paint code number if you would like. I can also post more pictures if that would be helpful. It was sort of overcast the day that one photo was taken and its not as blue-black as it might appear. Let me know.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

In lieau of Tim's reply, Id certainy like to see more pics.

cheers,
Kevin
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, here is the link to Flickr with photos of the Navy Blue color on a Shelby CSX 4000/6000 series. Some of them are from when it was a roller and some are post-build. I just went with pictures that seemed to show the color well as many of the photos I have from driving it are when it was cloudy for some reason. Guess I am too busy driving to take pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3849153...7622349409675/
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dcdoug,

Thanks for the link to the photos! Sorry for the late response to your 9/24 post, I must have missed it ... postings sometime fall off of page one pretty quickly!

The photos are great ... this is a very nice color. Looks like when under lights or in the sun, the deep rich blue really shows, then under a cloudy sky, it's almost black. Is there any metal or pearl in the paint ... hard to tell.

Sending you a PM.

Thanks!

- Tim