28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default Shades Of Blue Used On The 60's Cobras ?

Does anyone have a list of the shades of Blue used on the cars built in the '60's ?

I did a little digging through the archives, but do not see quite what I was looking for.

I know there was Princess Blue (aka Viking Blue) and I believe that Guardsman Blue was also used, back in the day. More ???

Thanks.

60's shades of Blue used on Cobras ...

- Princess
- Guardsman
- ????? ...
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 342 Stroker, 400hp
Not Ranked     

My understanding is , Viking Blue was used for Factory team colors, and Guardsman Blue was used for production cars and private run race cars, at least in 1965. Not sure about other colors for other years
Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

AC Cars used Princess Blue, Bright Blue and Guardsman Blue. Shelby used Viking Blue for the team cars in '64.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
Shelby used Viking Blue for the team cars in '64.
...and Guardsman for the Team in '65

In addition to the AC/Shelby production colors listed above, some more blues were used on the 427 Comp and S/C cars, that were individually painted to order:

Sapphire Blue (Ford)
Navy Blue
Silver Blue Metallic
Old 05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys ... am considering some shade of blue for my car, probably towards the darker end of the spectrum.

I have always liked blue and it seems to fit well with these cars. I know that I need to see the color in person and under different lighting conditions ... but I'll start with photos. Time to peruse the photo gallery ...
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

PPG Indigo Blue gets me lots of compliments and a best paint trophy. Not original though.

The color changes quite a bit depending on the lighting, looks very light in bright sun and almost black other times.

Deciding the color was a fun process, enjoy!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

There's nothing like a dinner gathering of Cobra owners at a restaurant, when someone announces over the intercom, "There's a Cobra outside with it's headlights on. It's blue with white stripes..."

BTW, I'm guilty - my Cobra is "SPF's interpretation" of Guardsmen Blue...
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
PPG Indigo Blue gets me lots of compliments and a best paint trophy. Not original though.

The color changes quite a bit depending on the lighting, looks very light in bright sun and almost black other times.

Deciding the color was a fun process, enjoy!
Indigo is definitely on my short list for color ... just looking into what the other choices are, especially those from 'back in the day'.

Saw the photos of your car in the gallery ... nice !
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
There's nothing like a dinner gathering of Cobra owners at a restaurant, when someone announces over the intercom, "There's a Cobra outside with it's headlights on. It's blue with white stripes..."

BTW, I'm guilty - my Cobra is "SPF's interpretation" of Guardsmen Blue...
Randy,

I guess that goes along with the question ... " well, just what shade of Blue is your Cobra ? "

While I am leaning heavily towards Blue ... Silver, Black, Red are all good choices too. I have a feeling that this will be one of the toughest decisions to make for the car. I'll be at a lot of shows this Summer looking at paint !

- Tim
Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Tim...don't overthink it.

Sit, relax, think about the all the best Cobras you've ever seen...the one(s) that make you blood pound. Now, visualize yourself in the best one, driving, open road....now close your eyes...feel the wind...hear the noise..and..look down the hood..what color is it?

With that question answered, you are done.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4990-shelby 427
Not Ranked     

I have Shelby's interpretation of Guardsman Blue w/ no stripes
I orginally fell in love with the color back in the day. But, it is a little brighter color blue today. I think its because they used that laquer(sp) paint and it would loose its color..
Guardsman blue is my favorite color whatever that color is...
Old 05-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Ron is right!
When driving the car color doesn't matter as with the sound, feel, vibration and wind in your hair all you will notice is the dash layout so do that correct.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Tim...don't overthink it.

Sit, relax, think about the all the best Cobras you've ever seen...the one(s) that make you blood pound. Now, visualize yourself in the best one, driving, open road....now close your eyes...feel the wind...hear the noise..and..look down the hood..what color is it?

With that question answered, you are done.

Ron,

That sounds like good advice ... the color selection can analyzed to the extreme.

For those of you that remember ... it reminds me of a scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail ...

The Bridge of Death!

Being cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril ...

KEEPER: Stop! What is your name?
tkb289: Tim
KEEPER: What is your quest?
tkb289: To build a Cobra
KEEPER: What is your favorite color?
tkb289: Blue. No yel-- Auuuuuuuugh!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Tim, consider getting color-choice input from your wife. And forgot the originality thing; there are a lot of very classy colors other than blue, red, and yellow.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Tim, consider getting color-choice input from your wife. And forgot the originality thing; there are a lot of very classy colors other than blue, red, and yellow.
Good points ... I have had a lot of input from my wife, especially what she does not like, which is good to know. I am not that wedded to an original color, just curious where things started.

The car will be a mix of 'FIA' and Street, so not trying to be viewed as a vintage looking replica. On the other hand, if I find an original color that I really like, then no reason not to use that.

My preference is towards a darker color, but as they say, I'll know it when I see it.

All part of the fun!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowen Replicar 351C wish it ran :) Anxiously awaiting delivery of my Road Serpent :)
Not Ranked     

I chose the Dodge Patriot Blue. It is a dark blue but not indigo. and seems to be well liked. There are some pictures of it in my gallery. Choosing the paint color was the toughest decision of the project.

Rick
Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's exactly what I did. When my wife saw Gary's car, she smiled and said she likes "that one". Bought a ticket to Texas the next day and made the deal. It's called LeMans Blau (blue) and is a standard color Shelby uses now, BMW Paint Code 381 from an X5 with a slight metallic look. Ford Wimbledon White stripes. This is the look in sunlight.

This is a shot of the body at SAI in 2004 just out of the paint booth under fluorescent lights. The color changes depending on lighting. Have fun. Choosing colors is almost as fun as playing with the Webers.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
That's exactly what I did. When my wife saw Gary's car, she smiled and said she likes "that one". Bought a ticket to Texas the next day and made the deal. It's called LeMans Blau (blue) and is a standard color Shelby uses now, BMW Paint Code 381 from an X5 with a slight metallic look. Ford Wimbledon White stripes. This is the look in sunlight.

This is a shot of the body at SAI in 2004 just out of the paint booth under fluorescent lights. The color changes depending on lighting. Have fun. Choosing colors is almost as fun as playing with the Webers.

Great photos ... nice combination. I'll have to keep my eye for a BMW with that paint ... and of course check with my wife ...
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Tim,
Look at my car in the gallery if you like something slightly darker. Mine has a touch of pearl in it (no metallic). Plays very well in the sunlight.
Even back in the day, each guy painting a car for Carroll had his own interpretation of Guradsman Blue. I believe Carroll mentioned the fact that no one could ever agree on what it was supposed to be in the book "Cobra Ferrari Wars".
-Good Luck
Old 05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

For the 20 years I was dreaming about my cobra, it was always either Red or Black in that order. There is something about a blue cobra, like there is something about a red ferrari. Yes, others may have the same car in the that color. BUT, this one is mine!