Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jan. 18th wing ding at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale AZ

I'm conveying this press release just as I read it. Any idea of what special cars will be there?

"Shelby American to Celebrate 45th Anniversary of Big Block Cobra and G.T.350 at Barrett-Jackson Gala in Scottsdale

SCOTTSDALE, AZ -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/08/10 --

-- Shelby American will sponsor the Opening Night at Barrett-Jackson Gala
on Jan. 18
-- The evening will celebrate the 45th anniversary of the G.T.350 and big
block Cobra
-- Shelby American plans special surprises at the celebration with live
coverage at teamshelby.com

Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (PINKSHEETS: CSBI), will honor the 45th anniversary of the 427 Cobra and Shelby G.T.350 by sponsoring the Opening Night Gala for the 39th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale on Jan. 18, 2010, at WestWorld. Some of the highest profile people in car collecting are expected at the invitation only gala with live video coverage on www.teamshelby.com.

"Our annual gala has become one of the 'must attend' events on both the Scottsdale social scene and automotive calendar," said Barrett-Jackson Chairman/CEO, Craig Jackson. "From racing drivers to billionaires and Hollywood's brightest, some call it the star studded equivalent to the 'academy awards' for car enthusiasts. This year, we expect it to be one of the most exciting events in our history as we celebrate the birth of two of the world's most exciting cars, the GT350 and big block Cobra, as well as share the festivities live for the first time via online broadcasting."

The Opening Night Gala is one of the most highly anticipated events of the year. Car collectors, celebrities, motorsports legends and the general public mingle to talk about their favorite hobby. Barrett-Jackson serves hors d' oeuvres and cocktails, as well as provides entertainment and a showcase car preview from 7:30-10:30 p.m. (MST) inside the auction tent at Westworld. This year's gala, which is also supported by Planet Color, will commemorate two creations from one of the most prolific men in the auto industry, Carroll Shelby.

"In 1965, Shelby American rocked the performance car world with the iconic G.T.350 and big block Cobra," stated Amy Boylan, president of Shelby American. "With the anniversary of those two revered models, we wanted to celebrate that heritage at a place that has become a focal point of the car hobby. The passion for Shelby cars at Barrett-Jackson over the years makes it the perfect place to honor this important milestone."

One of America's greatest race car drivers, Carroll Shelby dominated sports car racing in the mid-1950s, including a victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. After retiring from racing because of a heart ailment, he founded Shelby American to manufacture performance cars. The company's first was the legendary Cobra sports car in 1962. Three years later, Shelby unveiled a big block version of the Cobra.

About that same time, Ford asked Shelby to turn the Mustang into a dominant muscle car. The Shelby team put Mustang at the pinnacle of the performance world with the Shelby G.T.350 and Shelby G.T.500. Shelby American also offered high performance parts, produced one-off cars and was involved in racing. From drag strips to road racing circuits, Shelby cars were revered by fans and feared by competitors.

"Barrett-Jackson has a long, distinguished history with Shelby," added Steve Davis, president of Barrett-Jackson. "We celebrated Carroll's 75th and 80th birthdays during previous galas. We sold his personal Super Snake for $5 million, as well as many vintage and current model Shelby cars. We've also raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for his charities. It's an honor to host this celebration of two cars that helped cement the Shelby legend."

The gala will kick off the auction that features a docket of spectacular cars slated to be sold at No Reserve from Jan. 18-24. SPEED will broadcast nearly 39 hours of live, high-definition coverage of all six auction days. "
Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Barrett-Jackson kicks off right now on Speed and runs through Sunday. Something like 34 hours of coverage, with 10 hours on Friday and Saturday.

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/barr...obile-auction/

I love watching it, it's kind of like the Barnum and Bailey of car auctions. I'll be watching this until Spring...unless I FF through all of Chevy's.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-19-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Barrett-Jackson kicks off right now on Speed and runs through Sunday. Something like 34 hours of coverage, with 10 hours on Friday and Saturday.

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/barr...obile-auction/

I love watching it, it's kind of like the Barnum and Bailey of car auctions. I'll be watching this until Spring...unless I FF through all of Chevy's.
And boy are there a bunch of Chevys. It seems like there are Corvettes and Camaros coming out of the wood work. They're Everywhere They're Everywhere.

(Three or 4 years ago it was Mopar land.)