28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

From an out-of-state person it sure seems like it would be a lot easier to get an apartment in Vegas for a year just to have your cars and driver's license registered there

Fly in once a month, gamble, drink, make a trip out to the speedway, buy some overpriced CS merchandise, and still be $$$ a head at the end of the year....with more stories and less stress

Hats off to those of you in CA with the perseverance to keep the dream alive.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

I was impressed with Nancy's command of things (and certainly it came out well for me), but perhaps too much is left to the interpretation of each supervisor. From listening to the conversation between her and the CHP officer, it sounds as if the implementation-level instructions are not entirely clear, leaving points to be interpreted.

Bottom line, I think that anyone after a sequence number - especially next year, in the aftershock of the amnesty! - should have everything possible done before a final check of papers in December and getting in line in January. It's one of those cases where you might be technically right, but will lose your shot at a number that year arguing about things you have to do sooner or later anyway.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 01-04-2010 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The VIN # that's assigned by the CHP is superfluous without the SB100 #. No SB100 #, then why bother with the CHP inspection. I got my SB100 #, the CHP and BAR are comparatively easy. That is how I will do it, if the opportunity arises in the future. It just so happens that there should be plenty of numbers available after 1/04/10, but in the future years that might not be the case. No guarantees.

Personally, I'm not going to waste the valuable time of a CHP officer on a SPCNS car that may not receive a SB100 certificate, due to high demand, no matter what I would like to get done as quickly as possible. CHP appointments are quick and the officer spends about 5 minutes with the car, if that. BAR will not even talk to you without the actual SB100 certificate.

JMHO.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Igofaster,

Bring on the GT40

Maurice
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Count on it.

It's titled, registered and I have a temp op permit...now if only I had a motor and transaxle :O.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think were the confusion came in is for the amnesty program. You need to go to DMV and get a request for CHP VIN inspection. Get the VIN certified and get the B&L done before you go in on Jan. 4 for the SPCN registration and SB100 number.

I was at DMV back in November finishing mine up and a guy there was doing that very thing and explaining to the clerk he had already been to CHP per the DMV request and was back in to finish the process as SPCN so he could get in line today for the SB100.
Once the supervisor came over and checked his paperwork she smiled and said see you on the 4th.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I was impressed with Nancy's command of things (and certainly it came out well for me), but perhaps too much is left to the interpretation of each supervisor. From listening to the conversation between her and the CHP officer, it sounds as if the implementation-level instructions are not entirely clear, leaving points to be interpreted.

Bottom line, I think that anyone after a sequence number - especially next year, in the aftershock of the amnesty! - should have everything possible done before a final check of papers in December and getting in line in January. It's one of those cases where you might be technically right, but will lose your shot at a number that year arguing about things you have to do sooner or later anyway.

Gunner,

I'll be one of those next year guys ... Class of 2011, so to speak. I have been following the process with great interest for a few years now and between the threads on CC (including Steve's SB-100 masterpiece thesis) along with the great folks here for guidance, I should have a number for my car next year.

I hope to have my ERA roller by mid year, by which time I am sure this year's numbers will be gone, but I'll check anyway just to be sure. I have started a collection of all of the receipts and will have one well documented build.

The only thing I need now is the car
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I have been hearing from DMV that the numbers of applicants are DOWN so there may be a few left. -

AKA- the thronging masses of amnesty petitioners DID NOT show up.

This is bad thing and a good thing all at the same time.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
There was a Memo issued to all California DMV offices long ago that explains to any clerk that doesn't know what to do how to do it. This Memo is related to SB-100 and is VR-2002-25. I don't have a copy of that Memo any more but the DMVs should all have it in their book. It was written because of the way various DMVs treat the process and they are all supposed to follow it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Talked to a guy from DMV this morning.

Hundred SB100 numbers are left over.

Last edited by jhv48; 01-05-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Talked to a guy from DMV this morning.

Hundred SB100 numbers are left over.
Cool!

Now I just have to find the money and a project so that I can use one them unclaimed unallocated SB100 number thingees.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Cool!

Now I just have to find the money and a project so that I can use one them unclaimed unallocated SB100 number thingees.
Now was that Daytona Coupe or GT40? Either one going to have Webers on them? Either way, if it's Rodney's it will be well sorted, priced correctly and absolutely stunning.

Isn't it funny how a year or two can make a difference. I was in line at 7 am on NEW YEAR'S DAY 2008 and waited there with my little Coleman lantern until the first guy showed up at 3:30 am just to see if there was anyone stupid enought to be out in the cold so early in front of the DMV. Stupid, yes. But I didn't want to miss out and by 7:30 am there were 26 SB 100 guys lined up at the San Clemente office. I was first in line and have an interesting SB 100 sequence number. 2008-427!! Had kind of a "big block" ring to it.

Whoever needs help with SB 100, listen to Mr. Rodknock. He is a student of the process. I concur, next year with the "notices" to those 1965 or 66 registered guys officially going out will be "game on" again for the limited number of these smog passes. Happy New Year by the way.

Tom
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
AKA- the thronging masses of amnesty petitioners DID NOT show up.
I would not have expected any but the most well-informed and savvy amnesty folks to show up this year. Since the amnesty is for the calendar year 2010, it might be interpreted that applying earlier would get you a full set of penalties etc. (Not sure if that's true or not.) Getting the whole act together for the morning of 01/04 may not have been in most offenders' cards. So they will be working it through this year, as they learn about the problem, the solution AND an SB-100 being the only way to get their baby back on the road.

I predict a massive rush on numbers next January.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Isn't it funny how a year or two can make a difference. Tom
You know. I woke up yesterday morning just wishing I was in line with a new project, the smell of...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AddVintage, 351C
Not Ranked     
Default You Made My DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
Send/call Robert Morgester (CA AG) and/or Steve McDonald (SEMA), splaining that you've been denied access to the amnesty program, then sit back and watch them jump into action...

Robert Morgester
916-445-9330
Robert.Morgester@doj.ca.gov

Steve McDonald
202-783-0864
stevem@sema.org
Thanks so much for referring me to contact Robert Morgester Ca. AG.

After having spent hours at the Oceanside DMV on the morning of Jan. 04 and trying in vain to splain that I was there to apply for the amnesty process to correct my "Cobra Kit Car", and being told numerous times by the clerk and her supervisor that I shouldn't be concerned and all would be fine with my current "title"; I took your advice early this morn and emailed Mr. Morgester.

By early afternoon a DMV Investigator called me and gave me two options:

1. Make an app't at the San Clemente DMV and he would be glad to meet me there and make sure I was taken care of, or

2. Beat feet back to the Oceanside DMV and have their supervisor call him.

Well, when I walked into DMV, Oceanside, this afternoon and "splained" to the counter check-in person why I was there and dropped the name Morgester and a Mr. Kent Nichols (the investigator), I was told to go directly to "Window 4".

This gets better: Yesterday I had my pink and registration. Today all I had on me was a registration from 09. ( Too diff. to splain here )

Bottom line,,,,, 1 hour later, I was outa there with my sequence number.

There really are people in Gov't that know how to make things right and keep the system moving.

Thanks again Randy.

Last edited by springin; 01-06-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: word usage
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

springin, your experience sounds like something from the bad old Soviet days. Glad you got your number.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by springin View Post
Thanks so much for referring me to contact Robert Morgester Ca. AG...Thanks again Randy.
Yeah! I helped someone this year!!!

Many years ago, I was helped by someone who knew someone...

Sometimes, it is not what you know, but who you know, even outside of Russia!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll have to see how my build shapes up later in the year ... but if there are still numbers available in the May / June time frame, hopefully I will have enough paperwork (MSO, engine & transmission receipts) to start the process this year. I am not counting on it, but you never know.

Congrats to all that made it ... way to go !
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
I'll have to see how my build shapes up later in the year ... but if there are still numbers available in the May / June time frame, hopefully I will have enough paperwork (MSO, engine & transmission receipts) to start the process this year. I am not counting on it, but you never know.

Congrats to all that made it ... way to go !
Tim, the DMV allows you to estimate the total cost of the build under the penalty of perjury of course. You do not have to have in hand every receipt to get your SB100 #, but you do need the MSO for sure.

When that car gets delivered, I would start the process and see if they have any numbers left.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tim, the DMV allows you to estimate the total cost of the build under the penalty of perjury of course. You do not have to have in hand every receipt to get your SB100 #, but you do need the MSO for sure.

When that car gets delivered, I would start the process and see if they have any numbers left.

Rodney,

Thanks for the info, that's sounds like a good plan.