LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I guess it's as good a place as any to summarize my whole SB-100 experience.

Oh, wait, the important part: I have my number in hand!

2010-242. What a LOVELY number.
Gunner,

A big congrats!! You're my hero as I started following your journey, which started in another thread back in 09 when you were about to buyt the car from Mass, thru the registration maze.

Everything you've written is very easy to follow. There is one thing I need mroe information on. That is, if I buy a car used, let's assume it is from outside of CA, do I need to get from the prior owner's records on the built, i.e., his separate receipts? From reading your posts, I know that fortunately such records came with your car. I'm thinking what if the owner from whom I purchase the car no long have them. I wanted to see from your journey having purchased a car used from out of state, would having or not having the separate receipts for the built make a difference, for example, were you asked to produce such records? I wonder what would I need to do if I don't have them. If it is a must-have for a completed used-car, then, I will definately factor into my buying decision.

Thank you in advance!!!

Ed
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default Certificates?

Sooo... has anyone gotten their sequence certificate yet? I was told that it takes about two weeks. It's been two full business weeks and a couple of days more, and no sign of mine...

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sooo... has anyone gotten their sequence certificate yet? I was told that it takes about two weeks. It's been two full business weeks and a couple of days more, and no sign of mine...
As I recall, it took about 6 weeks for my certificate to arrive in 2008. Hopefully that's improved over time.

BTW - I went back and looked at an old thread, and my SB100 landed on 1/28 (similar time frame to others who posted at that time).

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-21-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you do not receive your certificate by the 1st week of February, then you should be calling and/or visiting "your" DMV immediately.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 SPF 1172 418W/518hp
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the time frames on SB-100 cert.s - I was starting to worry that my getting up at o-dark thirty and standing in line at DMV was just a dream.
Steve T.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Got my SB-100 Certificate!

SB-100 certificate showed up in today's mail. Now to make that BAR appointment and get this three-ring circus completed!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
SB-100 certificate showed up in today's mail. Now to make that BAR appointment and get this three-ring circus completed!
Congrats Gunner! Looks like the turnaround time was exactly the same as it was a couple of years ago.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I called the BAR referee, expecting a two or three week delay... and he wanted to know if I could make it later today (uh.... wanted to, just couldn't make it happen). So I'm down for Monday, which is supposed to be a sunny day.

I should have been making DMV appointments at intervals but didn't. So my appointment is wayyyy out on the 22nd... I guess I'll get up early one morning and join the doorstanders so I can get this finished next week. I'm a lot more mellow about bureaucracy than many here but I've had my fill over the last three months...

Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Gunner, still waiting for mine to show up.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Remember when you go to the BAR to make sure your valve cover breathers have a hose to the air cleaner or you'll be coming back for a re test.

No breathers can exit to the outside air as of 2009.

If you have one, you will fail. Easy to correct. Go to Kragen/OReilly and get a valve cover cap that has a breather hose and then run a hose from the breather cap to the air cleaner. Then disconnect it as soon as you pass if you want to.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So I called the BAR referee, expecting a two or three week delay... and he wanted to know if I could make it later today (uh.... wanted to, just couldn't make it happen). So I'm down for Monday, which is supposed to be a sunny day.

I should have been making DMV appointments at intervals but didn't. So my appointment is wayyyy out on the 22nd... I guess I'll get up early one morning and join the doorstanders so I can get this finished next week. I'm a lot more mellow about bureaucracy than many here but I've had my fill over the last three months...
BAR referees are very bored these days. Last year, my referee's assistant said they have only a few appointments a week.

Have fun Gunner. You're almost done!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Remember when you go to the BAR to make sure your valve cover breathers have a hose to the air cleaner or you'll be coming back for a re test.
Took care of this long ago. I had to pull the turkey pan and S&H air filter since they had no good way to attach a breather hose. Put on a long oval, drilled the base plate for a breather tube to the oil cap (which I replaced with a closed, vented one). Then I replaced the rear open breather with a PCV tube fitting and ran an inline PCV valve to the base of the carb. Valve covers are as they were, un-breathered. All closed up, ready to make the BAR man happy.

One of the many things I would not have known without the input from CC.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earth to Gunner..... Earth to Gunner.....

You've put into public record things you may not want in the public record.

Over and out.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Earth to Gunner..... Earth to Gunner.....
You've put into public record things you may not want in the public record.
Over and out.
Like what? I got the car in Massachusetts trim, which didn't have the closed breather system. I put a closed breather system on it. What secret have I given away?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earth to Paul. Earth to Paul. Read posts more closely.

Ignore what I said Gunner.

Once again. Have fun. Your almost there.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exemption sticker acquired.

I went to the ARC BAR Referee. You enter on the Myrtle Avenue side, in Lot A, and make your way all the way up to the corner between the brick (Tech Ed) buildings and the fenced car lot. There are two reserved parking spots, which were a relief to find as I inadvertently participated in the frantic "cruise for a spot" game all the way in.

Go into the marked door just ahead, call the Ref on the phone, wait.

Give paperwork to ref, show him VIN plate, wait.

Watch while he peers at engine - PCV and closed breather quite evident, no comments. Wait.

Find MA title for reference. Wait.

BTW, you are collecting eye tracks all over your pretty paint during this whole time, but many are from very attractive young things, and the rest are from knowledgeable car guys on that part of campus.

About an hour total, and...

Sign papers, take DMV copy, affix sticker. I've heard repeatedly that you are NOT allowed to place it but if you're nice they'll let you guide them. I wanted to put it way in on the driver's footwell, between the single fluid cylinder and the throttle pedal cutout. He took one look and realized he'd have to bend over and reach in while leaning on the car... and handed me the sticker. I cleaned the area and put it on nice and neat. It almost disappears against the white 'glass but is easily readable for those times it's needed.

Should you be given the sticker, be aware that it's VERY flimsy, like a decal, and has ULTRA stickum. Peel and handle it VERY carefully - I almost folded the damn thing over, which would have no doubt been a joy to replace.

Being polite and prepared no doubt paid dividends on this visit as on all prior ones in the process. So you hate big gummint. So you loathe bureaucracy. Stuff it and SMILE SMILE SMILE unless you want an extra big helping. It's all to your good.

I think I'll go get in line real early tomorrow at DMV and Get. This. Done.

Last edited by Gunner; 02-01-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

The SB100 process in motion, Good for you.

A few years ago I went through it with one of my cars and the referee was out of stickers and he told me that as long as the title is an SPCN there is no real need for the sticker. Nice to have and a relief to get but not required as time goes forward.

When I sold the car the new California owner found that to be true.

TR
Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, I wouldn't argue the point except that you can have an SPCN that's not necessarily smog-exempt. True in that the only "real" record is what DMV has on file in their system... but I'd bet not having a sticker will gum up the works for someone, somewhere down the line. If I'd driven away with full approval and no sticker today I'd be happy, but I'd make sure to get back for the gummy sooner or later.

I ran into too many contradictions in the whole process - including a CHP officer who's been doing 5 VIN inspections a day for three years, but still got it wrong according to DMV - that I've been, and would caution everyone to be, careful about crossing every t and dotting every i.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Gunner,

Good point, this was three+ years ago and the title was the document of record that the DMV took, no questions asked, no resmog, direct transfer with the fees paid by the new owner, reissue of the title in the new owners name and the DMV did not inspect the car or look for the sticker.

TR
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Gunner, I remember I could have practically slapped the exemption sticker on my forehead and the BAR referee would have agreed. Interior engine compartment, trunk, wherever. My BAR ref was a really nice guy and he waited and waited for me, while I vacillated on location.

As you said, always dot the i's and cross the t's including the sticker.