17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Transferring a vehicle from Texas to California

I recently purchased a FFR Cobra that was built in Texas and wanted to know how I go about getting it registered in CA.

I keep hearing all about SB100 but I am not exactly sure what it is.

Can I start the process before the car is in my possession?

Since the owner is in Texas and I am in CA how do I go about getting a bill of sale? We have a signed contract but I have no way to get him to sign a CA DMV bill of sale.

Can I do this at AAA or only the DMV?

Can I do the registration at AAA but the SB100 paperwork separate?

If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it, thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Take the signed pink slip and the Texas registration down to the Ca. DMV and begin the sb100 registration process.

Do not attempt to register the FFR as a 65 Cobra. DMV will guide you to the proper year. Probably the year it was first registered.

There are plenty of sb100 numbers still left so I would get down there today and take your checkbook.

AAA cannot handle the sb100 process. So going to them will waste your time. You can do all of the steps in two trips.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Take the signed pink slip and the Texas registration down to the Ca. DMV and begin the sb100 registration process.

Do not attempt to register the FFR as a 65 Cobra. DMV will guide you to the proper year. Probably the year it was first registered.

There are plenty of sb100 numbers still left so I would get down there today and take your checkbook.

AAA cannot handle the sb100 process. So going to them will waste your time. You can do all of the steps in two trips.
Ditto what Jim said. No one knows how many SB100's are left, so make sure you go to a DMV office that knows their stuff regarding SB100.

80% chance that a DMV rep will tell you there are no SB100's left. Don't take "no" for an answer and ask for a manager.

Where are you located?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Check out the Bay Area Cobra Club site and you will see the subject discussed in detail. Rich

Last edited by badrich; 06-01-2010 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Need to get rid of caps.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Ditto what Jim said. No one knows how many SB100's are left, so make sure you go to a DMV office that knows their stuff regarding SB100.

80% chance that a DMV rep will tell you there are no SB100's left. Don't take "no" for an answer and ask for a manager.

Where are you located?
Alta Loma CA. Near Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont etc.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it was registered as a 1965 in Texas does CA have to honor that? I was told this on another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
IF the car was LEGALLY registered in Texas as a 1965, you may be able to register it as a 1965 in California, under the "full faith & credit" clause in the motor vehicle code. (Note: a few years ago, it was perfectly legal to title a vehicle in Texas using the year the vehicle RESEMBLED- but things may have changed) But as for the "full faith & credit" clause... what it boils down to is: if Texas recognized (and titled) the car as a 1965, California should give "full faith & credit" to the out-of-state title & recognize it as a '65 as well. It's a loophole in the system, and I've heard they're trying to close that loophole, but it may be a possibility & would get you out of the whole SB-100 nightmare/PIA. BUT... IF there were some shenanigans performed regarding proper titling of the vehicle... I concur that going through the SB-100 process is the way to go. You might want to take a look at the California motor vehicle code & see if that clause is still there... not to mention, find out all you can about the original titling of the car in Texas. Like I said... titling as a '65 MIGHT be an option, but the SB-100 process is probably the best way to go to be safe. Check out the "Registration Forum" on Club Cobra... lots of info on this particular subject.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61
IF the car was LEGALLY registered in Texas as a 1965, you may be able to register it as a 1965 in California, under the "full faith & credit" clause in the motor vehicle code. (Note: a few years ago, it was perfectly legal to title a vehicle in Texas using the year the vehicle RESEMBLED- but things may have changed) But as for the "full faith & credit" clause... what it boils down to is: if Texas recognized (and titled) the car as a 1965, California should give "full faith & credit" to the out-of-state title & recognize it as a '65 as well. It's a loophole in the system, and I've heard they're trying to close that loophole, but it may be a possibility & would get you out of the whole SB-100 nightmare/PIA. BUT... IF there were some shenanigans performed regarding proper titling of the vehicle... I concur that going through the SB-100 process is the way to go. You might want to take a look at the California motor vehicle code & see if that clause is still there... not to mention, find out all you can about the original titling of the car in Texas. Like I said... titling as a '65 MIGHT be an option, but the SB-100 process is probably the best way to go to be safe. Check out the "Registration Forum" on Club Cobra... lots of info on this particular subject.

Good luck with that. Just register the car SB100 and be done with it. Having been thru the process numerous times, it is really easy. The only people who have a problem with it do not live in California nor have they registered one with SB100.................

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The vehicle is registered as a 1965 ASVE(assembled vehicle) in texas
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoaFan08 View Post
Alta Loma CA. Near Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont etc.
Check in with the Cobra owners in your area to find out which DMV office is the most knowledgeable regarding SB100. My guess is that's the path you're going to need to follow, but you really just need get you're car and pink slip and hit the DMV to pay your fees (sales tax, registration, etc.) and get started.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The vehicle is registered as a 1965 ASVE(assembled vehicle) in texas
Well there ya go, it aint no 1965 Ford, or Cobra or anything like a "real" car. It's an assembled vehicle, California aint stupid, they know that. Full faith and credit means they will tell you straight up, "It's a fakey doo."
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Out here we call it a "Specially Constructed Vehicle."
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I laugh at all these people here in Texas who register their cars as '65s. I try to tell them it will come back someday to bite them in the arse. They never listen. Good luck registering it in CA.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCobra View Post
I laugh at all these people here in Texas who register their cars as '65s. I try to tell them it will come back someday to bite them in the arse. They never listen. Good luck registering it in CA.

CowtownCobra,

What is the correct/legal title for a Cobra replica in TX? Is the process and titling method standardized through the State?

If ZoaFan08 walks the car through the SB100 process, the existing title probably won't impact his ability to register the car in CA.

ZoaFan08,

Here's a good link with all of the details regarding SB100:

SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Caliofornia doesn't care about how it WAS registered in another State.

They only care about you registering it correctly in Ca. and paying the proper taxes.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
CowtownCobra,

What is the correct/legal title for a Cobra replica in TX? Is the process and titling method standardized through the State?

If ZoaFan08 walks the car through the SB100 process, the existing title probably won't impact his ability to register the car in CA.

ZoaFan08,

Here's a good link with all of the details regarding SB100:

SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH
In my experience its pretty arbitrary what type of title you can get here in Texas, based on which office, person, time of day etc. I'm sure a full SB100 DNA test will solve the problem.

I'm just recalling the Titles Unlimited fiasco and all the problems it created. Do you think that guy is still in prison?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCobra View Post
In my experience its pretty arbitrary what type of title you can get here in Texas, based on which office, person, time of day etc. I'm sure a full SB100 DNA test will solve the problem.

I'm just recalling the Titles Unlimited fiasco and all the problems it created. Do you think that guy is still in prison?
I think he is now a Senator!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Caliofornia doesn't care about how it WAS registered in another State.

They only care about you registering it correctly in Ca. and paying the proper taxes.
I wouldn't want to try and walk an out of state Cobra that has VIN plate from a Falcon convertible through the process. They may care if the previous title is fraudulent. Safest bet when buying an out of State car, is to try to determine if the original title is legal/correct for that State.

That being said, people will continue to buy Cobras from out of State and say "hey what kind of Cobra did I buy" or "how do I register this thing in California."

Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here are a couple pertinent pages from the CA DMW website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

Title, bill of sale and get down to the most SB100-experienced DMV in Riverside County.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Zoa,

Don't know about CA, but I registered a BDR (New) in Texas back in 2007. The County Clerk registered it as a 1965 ASVE. I even received my registration through the mail from Bell County with 1965 as the year. About two weeks later I received a “Corrected Copy” of the registration from Austin indicating the correct information: 2007 ASVE, replica of 1965 Ford.

I have since moved to Tennessee where it was also registered as a 2007 Assembled Vehicle.

I don’t think I would try to pass it off as a 1965.

Gun Doc
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Sb-100

Do NOT even play with the thought of registering it as a '65. Full faith and credit doesn't mean jack sh*t if the state 'believes' they are being ripped off or misrepresented. Morgester has written about this quite a few times. A 65 Cobra is in the crosshairs of the DMV and Attorney General's office. Agree with it or not, we have a legal process and there are numbers left. Not a small miracle when you consider we're in an amnesty year.

rodneym

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: