14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Texas donor build?

On one of the other forums I frequent a new member posted a question regarding how to register a component car in TX if an already registered vehicle was used as a donor for some of the parts. Obviously, there would be no receipts for the engine, etc.

I replied that I suspected he would have to surrender the title to the donor car, but that was just a guess...does anyone know how to approach the documentation that would be required to register a component custom built car when there is a registered donor vehicle used for parts?

TIA for whatever help you can provide!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Found this on the web...hope it helps... Russ

Registering a home built "Assembled" Vehicle in Texas (Mine was a locost)
I was actually very surprised. It is now 100% legal and was quite easy! Car is registered as a Year - 2003, Make - Assembled, Model - Lotus.
I am in Brazoria County, Tx. so emissions are not a factor for me. However, I did build the car with an air pump and a cat, but this didn't matter anyway in my area. I think that if you live in an emissions county such as Harris etc. you would have to pass a visual and the sniffer test as per any normal car at inspection.
Step 1. Build a car! - Next, get a copy of the guidelines for assembled vehicles from the Texas DOT in Austin. Call the VTR dept. help line at 512-465-7611.
Step 2 - Form VTR 68 A - This is an application for an assigned VIN number. I had an officer from the Pasadena auto theft unit come over to my house and verify that I was not using stolen parts and to fill out the form. I had a friend in the force who pointed me in the right direction for this contact. He will want to see your bills of sale for engine and metals etc., and the donor's title. If you scrapped the left over bits of the donor car you will have had to surrender the title, but make sure you get a copy, and a receipt from the scrap yard. The 68A just needs to be signed by the officer, and then later by you and notarized (I got most things notarized as a matter of course, it looks better.)
Note! - You do not need to go to the special DOT office to get a roadworthiness and safety inspection (would have been in Conroe for me) as an assembled vehicle is NOT a rebuilt or salvage vehicle.
Step 3 - Next get a VTR 68N - which assigns the TEX number for your car. To do this take the completed 68A, plus bills of sale for the engine, steel, aluminum, donor car etc. to your local regional DOT title office. The regular local DOT office cannot do this. See the Texas DOT website for appropriate locations. Also take with you some photos of the car and smile a lot. Pay the $2 fee. Take the 68N home and have a beer.
Step 3. - Stamp your assigned "TEX#######" number on the chassis of the car per the directions on the VTR 68N document. Fill out the bottom right box on VTR 68N confirming that you have done this. Get it notarized. Also make a pencil tracing of the number.
Step 4. - Get insurance coverage for the car. I used "www.collectorcarins.com" who gave me full coverage for 3000 miles per year for about $110 annual. Not bad at all. They need photos of the car. It is insured as an "Assembled - Lotus replica"
Step 5 - Take the car to your local inspection station and ask for a "Green Sheet" (Form VI-30-A) - out of state inspection certificate. Costs a whole dollar more than a regular white one! It will not be a problem (if you have lights, turn signals and a horn - trust me - the car will be surrounded by pimply-faced young car-loving employees - who will be drooling too much to see anything much of anything.
Step 6 - Take the following to your local title office:
a - Form 130-U application for Texas Certificate of title
- Previous owner and Make is "Assembled"
- Year model is the current year
- Body style is "RD" (roadster) in the case of the Locost
b - Any significant bills of sale and receipts
c - Donor car's title (or copy with salvage yard receipt).
d - VTR 68A and VTR 68N and pencil tracing of the number.
e - Green sheet (VI-30-A)
f - Photos of the car
g - Form VTR - 61 (Affidavit and application to register and title a vehicle that has been
rebuilt, assembled etc) - This needs to be Notarized.
h - A simple one page Statement of Fact - Write this explaining how where and when
you built the car and what you used. Don't get too fancy. I described the chassis,
body panels, Donor car and engine. I had this notarized also
I - proof of Insurance
Pay the TTL fees and accept your Plates!
Hope this is of some help out there - Happy Building!
Rob Lee.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

You can skip the VIN-related inspection steps and install your own VIN if you want. You just need to do a pencil trace or photograph the VIN as stamped on the frame and take those docs in when you apply for a title.

Unless you use the frame, you have no legal obligation to use the title. In my opinion it would be a mistake to try and use a "donor title" to register a replica, especially with the changes in the law that now allow you to register these cars as the year they are intended to replicate. A donor title muddies the water for what is now a very simple process, and you don't wind up with the baggage that could come with an old title.

Last edited by elmariachi; 11-11-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Unless you use the frame, you have no legal obligation to use the title. In my opinion it would be a mistake to try and use a "donor title" to register a replica, especially with the changes in the law that now allow you to register these cars as the year they are intended to replicate. A donor title muddies the water for what is now a very simple process, and you don't wind up with the baggage that could come with an old title.
Does this mean TX has adopted the "SEMA plan"?

Thanks!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Does this mean TX has adopted the "SEMA plan"?

I think we adopted the Texas plan:

Bill Text: TX House Bill 890 - 82nd Legislature Regular Session | eLobbyist