21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
should not have a problem at all as long as it is registered as a spcn. If it is registered as as 1965 cobra and it is not then that is an issue.

Years ago people were registering them thru a backdoor company of sorts and dmv caught on to it. Some of them might still be out there but the dmv keep a close eye on them.
x 2 ...............

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The only SAFE way to register a special construction vehicle in this state is via the SB-100 route no matter where yo bought it. Two people around this area had their titles pulled because they tried to register the cars as what they were registered as in another state.

Also you can't have a turn key cut built and register it under SB-100 as another person here found out. He had his Cobra built by a company completely ready to go and registered it under SB-100. About 3 weeks later he received a letter from the DMV to send in the title as it was a turn key car. He finally had to sell the car out of state unregistered.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

You could attempt to rely on the "full faith and credit" section of the CA Vehicle Code.

V C Section 4304 Effecto of Foreign Certificates on Title

Effect of Foreign Certificates of Title

4304. Upon application for registration of a vehicle previously registered outside this State, the department shall grant full faith and credit to the currently valid certificate of title describing the vehicle, the ownership thereof, and any liens thereon, issued by the state in which the vehicle was last registered, except that the laws of the state shall provide for the notation upon the certificate of title of any and all liens and encumbrances other than those dependent upon possession.

Even though I have the resources to defend this position, I decided it would be best to go the SB100 route.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Bingo,

That would be nice if all Calif. DMVs accepted the same laws. The one up here says it only applies to vehicles manufactured by a regular manufactured such as GM, Ford, & etc. Per their interpretation of the law, any special construction vehicle regardless of where it was built or previously registered has to have the SB-100 number or you will have your title pulled. I think our DMVs are as screwed up as the IRS as you can go to four of them around here and ask the same question and get four entirely different answers. So it is just safer to go with the SB-100.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

There's that word again...interpretation....oh my!

I read an article regarding the importation of replica vehicles, specifically Cobra replicas, into CA; it was a magazine interviewing Mr. Morgester, the consul to the DMV (I think) and he skillfully avoided answering the "full faith and credit" question by saying, to his knowledge, it is a grey area and hasn't been tested, meaning he didn't want to give a definitive answer. At least that was my "interpretation" of his response.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo2 View Post
he skillfully avoided answering the "full faith and credit" question by saying, to his knowledge, it is a grey area and hasn't been tested,
... oh, it's been tested... it just depends on how the particular DMV branch wants to handle it... INTERPRETATION rears its ugly head again!

same for the continuity issue... some say SB-100 numbers are good for the life of the vehicle. Others say that once it's titled outside of Cali then brought back in, the previous sequence number is no longer valid. Guess you'll just have to find out on that one.

That said, is probably best to go through the SB-100 process regardless... jump through some hoops & let the state squeeze some more cash from your hand in order to have peace of mind.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Bingo,

That would be nice if all Calif. DMVs accepted the same laws. The one up here says it only applies to vehicles manufactured by a regular manufactured such as GM, Ford, & etc. Per their interpretation of the law, any special construction vehicle regardless of where it was built or previously registered has to have the SB-100 number or you will have your title pulled. I think our DMVs are as screwed up as the IRS as you can go to four of them around here and ask the same question and get four entirely different answers. So it is just safer to go with the SB-100.

Ron
Agree Ron. There's no compelling reason not to take a car through the SB100 process. Once it's done, you never have to worry about it and you can sell your car with the SB100.

When buying a car from out of State, the most important thing is to ensure that the car is legally titled as a special construction vehicle for that State (that can vary by State). When looking at a car, it's easy to get the title details and verify that the information is correct for that State.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Ron,

These replicas DO NOT have to have an SB100 to be registered in California. The SB100 only exempts you from having to have all of the smog equipment on it and have it go through smog inspection every other year.

I.E. SB100 is only a smog exemption.

Even with an SB100 you still have to have a closed PCV system though.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slick 61.

The SB100 does not cost a thing. You pay no extra to have an SB100 for your replica.
At least mine didn't anyway.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Other states have their own way of registering replicas. California does not / might not care how it is registered in another state. California registers replicas as what they are and the year that they were built / registered here.

My replica was origionally registered in California in the early 90's as a 0000 SPCN, year first sold as 0000, with no SB100. When I bought it, put it back together and registered it there was no issue for six years. Then I received a notice in my registration for smog requirment. I had an SB100 done and did the registration with that. Now my replica is a 0000 SPCN, year 2010. All I paid were for my tags and the minimal fee for the new owners cert.

There were underlining reasons why my car needed to be smogged but it had never been cought in the system.

Registered and then non-opped for years, I bought it, put it in my name but non-opped it while I built it back up then gotit ready for the road. Both times they listed it like a new car. New cars in California do not have to be smogged for six years. After my having it registered for six years is when I received the dreaded "SMOG REQUIRED" notice on my registration.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Coyote
Not Ranked     

Professional Registration Service in Grass Valley, Ca might be able to help.

Do not know the fee structure but the owner seems quite knowledgeable with California DMV processes. Might be worth checking with her.

Donna Leak is the owner. Contact Info
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patf11 View Post
Professional Registration Service in Grass Valley, Ca might be able to help.

Do not know the fee structure but the owner seems quite knowledgeable with California DMV processes. Might be worth checking with her.

Donna Leak is the owner. Contact Info
Just my two cents, but I would never use a third party company to register a vehicle. As the owner/registrant, you are legally responsible. The process is pretty straight forward if you follow the steps.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Just my two cents, but I would never use a third party company to register a vehicle. As the owner/registrant, you are legally responsible. The process is pretty straight forward if you follow the steps.
Totally agree. I wouldn't recommend anyone but yourself.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Might be moving to Pasadena. I have an ERA FIA that is registered in Florida as a "1965 ERA VIN2117". Was a turnkey built by ERA, delivered Jan 2008. I supplied the motor, a 331 stroker from Keith Craft. Will it be required to do some modification to get the SB 100? Thanks. Rick
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rickd,

A newley built Kit cant use an SB100 smog exemption if it was a "TURNKEY" built kit. It does not matter if you supplied the running gear or not. It would have to be smogged to the year it is registered in Ca.

With a previously registered kit from another state, I am unsure. They should not even ask you if it was turnkey or not. But if they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If you are able to get an SB100 # and an appointment with the BAR, when they ask (and they probably will) where all of your receipts are, just tell them that you do not have them anymore because it is an already registered vehicle. You will not be required to show receipts because it is a previously registered vehicle.

If you can it will be registered in Ca as a 0000 SPCN with a "year first sold" of the year you bring it into the state.

If you do move to CA, just PM me and I will give you my phone number. We can go over points over the phone (If you want). It is a lot easier that way. It is actually a very simple process.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427 351W
Not Ranked     

the sb 100's go fast, you will want to be in line on Jan, 2, very early if you want to get be sure to get one. ten years ago it took about 3 months to give out all five hundred #'s, when i did my car about 7 years ago the numbers were all gone in about 3 days.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the offer Terry, if we do actually move .. I will definitely get in touch. Florida was a snap. 15 minutes. Walked in .. without the car .. just put my ERA Certificate of Origin on the counter with a Bill of Sale, paid the sales tax on the car, and walked out with an Antique Tag and a temporary title showing the car as a 1965 ERA, with the appropriate VIN from ERA, and "date of manufacture" as 2008.

In Florida kit cars are titled as the year they replicate. From reading (not in depth) SB100 states that the car can be "registered based on the model year of the engine" or "the model year as represented by the replica vehicle year". Sounds like the "spirit" of SB100 is there ... but there is something apparently "special" about California's bureaucracy!!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsey View Post
the sb 100's go fast, you will want to be in line on Jan, 2, very early if you want to get be sure to get one. ten years ago it took about 3 months to give out all five hundred #'s, when i did my car about 7 years ago the numbers were all gone in about 3 days.
Not true for the last few years. There are still unclaimed numbers from this year available. Apply whenever you are ready and get some sleep on January second.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That might be the way that Ca used to do it but not any more. Now it is either the SB100, which only makes it smog exempt or install the smog for the year it was built or install all of the smog for the year that you are registering it (for a new kit).

As for registration year on a previously built kit from out of state it might be "2008" for you. My guess it that it still will be as I posted before, 0000 SPCN with a "year first sold" of the year you bring it into the state.

NOTE:

The SB 100 only makes it "SMOG EXEMPT".

Last edited by tcrist; 11-25-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Turnkey built cars are not considered specially contructed by the CA DMV, and therefore are not legal for title in CA. Turnkey cars are considered illegally manufactured, since they do not meet DOT and EPA and CARB standards for the year they were built. And only specially constructed vehicles are elligible for SB100 sequence numbers. If you want to title you ERA in CA, then you must remove the term turnkey from your definition of how your car was built. Do your research. Search "turnkey" on the forum...