Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Sweet!
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I finally got it registered on Thursday! My appointment at the NYS Field Inspection went smoothly. When I got home I had a message from the "good guy" at the Tech Unit in Albany and he offered to fax out the form so I could register it that day. I thought that was really cool for him to call me. What a clusterf**k the DMV was though. First, my insurance card was more than 45 days old from the effective date, had the wonderful people at Heacock Insurance fax out a new one lickety split. Then, the DMV said they couldn't register it as Historic that day, I had to mail the application into Albany... needed yet another insurance card since the one I had said Historic. Then the DMV's fax m/c kept coming up with a busy signal at Heacock, but they just kept trying until it went through. Well, I got my plates a couple minutes after they were suppose to close. Been cruising a lot... I love it! Having a ball!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Glad to see that you finally made it through, Mike.
Great looking car!

Enjoy the ride.
Jim Kellogg
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg View Post
Glad to see that you finally made it through, Mike.
Great looking car!

Enjoy the ride.
Jim Kellogg
Thanks Jim!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I saw it on the road today! It's ALIVE!, Alive I say!!!!

Look really good...Malachite Green is killer.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
I saw it on the road today! It's ALIVE!, Alive I say!!!!

Look really good...Malachite Green is killer.
Thanks Rick. That Malachite Green really grew on me. I wouldn't even consider anything else now!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The saga continues... I wasn't able to get an historical registration at the office here, they said I had to mail an application into Albany. Got a call from them this morning. They said the Cobra would qualify for an historical registration, but he had to check with their legal department about putting on a vintage plate. I want to put on a NY '64/'65 plate. Funny how another Cobra I know of in town got a historical registration and the same vintage plate done at the same DMV office I went to.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The saga ends! I got the historical registration and vintage plate approved! Got the new registration sticker with the vintage plate number on it today. Only took 3 months and two weeks!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: aurora
Not Ranked     

mike, I went through the inspection in Buffalo, ny. I used rectangle lights with dot numbers ( they were not my final lights and they knew it). I puchased the lights at a truck stop on walden ave. The lights were about 2"x4" x 1 1/2", I faked a mount and put them were my final light would be. no problem. good luck, jim
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I used SAE numbers for the lenses from a variety of sources to fill in the form that was sent in to the Tech Unit in Albany. The only thing I really did was pick up a DOT approved back up light and put some padding (water pipe insulation) on the visors and dash. The field inspection in Buffalo is mainly concerned that the car, motor or tranny isn't stolen. I had a friend of a friend that knew the senior inspector and let him know I was coming so they didn't actually check out the car at all. The biggest issue I had was which person in Albany you start out working with. I got the guy that only had a one word vocabulary... no. There is a car guy in that same unit in Albany that really went to bat for me to get the historical registration and vintage plate application through the custom plate unit. I'm using a '64 NY Worlds Fair plate, it doesn't have a front plate. Took a while, but it's all good now.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Lordy lordy what would we do without the Government?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     
Default Getting Historical Registration in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlad View Post
The saga ends! I got the historical registration and vintage plate approved! Got the new registration sticker with the vintage plate number on it today. Only took 3 months and two weeks!
Mike, I'm new to the Cobra scene. I have always wanted a Cobra so I have just sold my '36 Chevy Streetrod and purchased a FFR Cobra. The car is registered as a NY 2006 Ford custom but I would like to change it to a historical '65 registration. Less issues with going to car shows that limit cars to 25 years or older. Can you give me a little info to get me started, on how you went about getting the historical registration? Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
Mike, I'm new to the Cobra scene. I have always wanted a Cobra so I have just sold my '36 Chevy Streetrod and purchased a FFR Cobra. The car is registered as a NY 2006 Ford custom but I would like to change it to a historical '65 registration. Less issues with going to car shows that limit cars to 25 years or older. Can you give me a little info to get me started, on how you went about getting the historical registration? Thanks
Rodder, you won't be able to change it from a Custom. I'm assuming that it's already registered in NY with standard plates. You could try to go directly to your local DMV office with an MV-440H and MV-440V and apply. You'll need a picture of the plate(s). Those forms are downloadable from the DMV website. You can also mail those forms in along with a photo copy of your license. There's complete instructions on the website. I would advise you to get a '64 plate since there is no front plate that year. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask me and good luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Cool dmv

well... I will be registering a SPF that has already had a Historical plate on it.. AND was registered prior with SPO # and not VIN #....

wish me luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You'll get a packet from Albany for an inspection (a NY inspection site) and another for a VIN application. There's 3 guys in the office in Albany. I'm not quite sure, but if I recall correctly, DO NOT work with Mark. Work with Tom, he's a great guy and will bend backwards to help you out. Let me know if you need any help with getting it ready for inspection. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

FYI, I have heard Tom Noonan retired in December 2012 and now Mark Engle is the guy to talk to. He was actually the person I dealt with back '09 when I registered my car. He went out of his way to help me get my paperwork completed, I believe he is a friend to our hobby like Tom was.

Good luck,

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80663

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!

Last edited by ICBomber90; 08-03-2013 at 04:17 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Sorry I am so nervous.. I left out a HUGE part...: both of the prior owners of this car already registered it in NYS. So I am assuming? .. that this should go.. like any (normal) car??...
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Curious, Mark seem to enjoy giving me a hard time every step of the way. When I wanted to get an historical registration, he laughed. I talked to Tom about it and he said, no problem getting an historical registration, but he'd have to go through their legal department to get me vintage plates. Tom really went to bat for me with them and got it through legal.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

blown, if it's already been titled in NY, should be able to just go to the DMV and register it like any other car.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ICBomber, there was 3 guys there when I went through the registration process. Maybe two were named Mark?