Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison - 351W
Not Ranked     

I'll check it out thanks,

I've looked around and listed every New York Cobra Owner I could find. Some may no longer be active or still own their car. Feel free to add to, up date, make corrections if you can.

Steve

New York State Members

Starwolf 56 Mohawk NY ___________

Mark IV Buffalo, NY Mark ______ Time Machine Auto

1795 Bristol NY __________

CBattaglia Goshen NY C____Battaglia

Jim Kellogg Pine City NY Jim Kellogg

blown 871 Endicott __________

Snapier Moravia NY __________

Mglad Blasdell NY Mike Glados

Amiller Corning NY Aaron Miller

Steve-O Rochester NY Steve _______

ONO1 Hauppauge NY ___________

BAsque1 Rockland County NY ___________

ICBomber98 East Greenbush NY Pat _______

Stevewass Plainville, NY Steve ______

Airboat1 Bernhards Bay NY Steve Dwyer
Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tire Age

The only numbers I can find on the side wall of both front and rear tires is the following:
Front E4 0212682 The E4 is inside a circle
Rear E4 0212687

Would this mean week 2 in 2012 ?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat1 View Post
The only numbers I can find on the side wall of both front and rear tires is the following:
Front E4 0212682 The E4 is inside a circle
Rear E4 0212687

Would this mean week 2 in 2012 ?
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat1 View Post
I'll check it out thanks,

I've looked around and listed every New York Cobra Owner I could find. Some may no longer be active or still own their car. Feel free to add to, up date, make corrections if you can.

Steve

New York State Members

Just found this.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Up dated 12-19-16

New York State Members

Tim7139 Syracuse NY Tim _______
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was October 24 2016 when I placed my first post asking about registering my 2005
E-M Cobra in New York State. Today I came home with the plates, asked my wife to come along and we went out for our first cruise in our beautiful little Cobra.
What an accomplishment and now it's behind us.
Millsy likes this.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Great to hear it! The nice weather that we are having this week could not have come at a better time for you. Although, as far as I am concerned, unless there is snow on the ground any time in a cobra is better than any other vehicle.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear that you had your first cruise in the Cobra!

If you're like I was, you will probably go out to the garage just to look at it every once in awhile... At least until the weather breaks for good and spring/summer/fall arrives

Stay safe, and enjoy your ride!
Jim Kellogg
Old 12-19-2019, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Howdy folks. I'm new here. I'm starting the research to finally get a Cobra, thus fulfilling a lifelong dream. With that being said, in reading about registering a Cobra in NY, it's more than a little daunting! So some basic questions about my USED Cobra purchase:

- Is it easier if I buy a car that's already been registered in NY, does that make the process just like any other car? Or do I need to worry if the car was originally registered properly?

- If it's a NY registered car, MUST it have that yellow NY DMV sticker? And if it does, am I golden?

- Can a NY car be registered without that yellow decal?

- What year does the car get registered as? I've read conflicting info.

- What happens if the engine is from an old car (ie, 1960's block)? I read one post saying that determine's the car's year, but other posts said the car's year is the year it's first titled in NY.

- What's the story with emissions?

- MOST IMPORTANTLY: If I buy a car from out of state, what are the do's and don't's? Are there any states that make it easier to register the car into NY (like CT, CA?)?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

PS What's the best car? (LOL) (I get it, that's like asking what's the best oil to use.)

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6

Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Adam.

I live in NJ, which is another pain in the ass state, so I can share this. I purchased a previously owned 2014 Backdraft in NJ that was Titled correctly when brought here from Florida as a Replica so everything was a snap and I am exempt from inspection. I have heard nightmare stories about buying a car from another State and bringing them into NY & NJ. Do it wrong and you will be subject to inspection including emissions. If you purchase a car from a reputable dealer like VMS in Connecticut, they will take care of all of it for you including the DMV inspection in your home state. Good luck.

PS As far as the best car, that question itself will cause a ruckus and has. I chose Backdraft because it fit my budget and has a good reputation. If you are for a stickler for originality, that will cost you more and you will look at Superformance and the continuation cars.

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 12-19-2019 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: text
Old 12-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Howdy folks. I'm new here. I'm starting the research to finally get a Cobra, thus fulfilling a lifelong dream. With that being said, in reading about registering a Cobra in NY, it's more than a little daunting! So some basic questions about my USED Cobra purchase:

- Is it easier if I buy a car that's already been registered in NY, does that make the process just like any other car? Or do I need to worry if the car was originally registered properly?

- If it's a NY registered car, MUST it have that yellow NY DMV sticker? And if it does, am I golden?

- Can a NY car be registered without that yellow decal?

- What year does the car get registered as? I've read conflicting info.

- What happens if the engine is from an old car (ie, 1960's block)? I read one post saying that determine's the car's year, but other posts said the car's year is the year it's first titled in NY.

- What's the story with emissions?

- MOST IMPORTANTLY: If I buy a car from out of state, what are the do's and don't's? Are there any states that make it easier to register the car into NY (like CT, CA?)?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

PS What's the best car? (LOL) (I get it, that's like asking what's the best oil to use.)
Generally a car previously registered in another state as a 1965 will carryover. I have 2 used Backdrafts titled as 1965s in stock hint hint...
Old 12-19-2019, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. In terms of best car, I'm looking for the best handling and safest build. Originality is not an issue for me. I heard Backdraft's use of BMW running gear and rear ends can't hold up to more than about 400hp tops. Supposedly a very nice car but not as strong a build and handling car , No?

I'm very open and learning, so feel free to school me! Heading over to VMS web site now...

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-19-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Car Search.

The fellow Jay who posted above and is the owner of VMS is knowledgeable as anyone in the business. They build some serious cars there. My advice to you on finding the right car would be this. It took me over two years to decide which one I wanted. I originally wanted to build a factory five but dismissed that because I have already been there and done that with a 66 Corvette. I researched and read a lot. I visited a couple of Backdraft dealers to look at the cars went for a ride and drove one. I went to a couple car shows to see is Superformance cars along with some of the continuation cars. Go look at Vanguard Motors webpage as they always have them on there for sale with excellent videos. I narrowed it down to Backdraft and Superformance. If you were looking for a complete originality then you need to go with one of the continuation models but that is going to cost you . Superformance is probably a little better built car but it's also more expensive and I couldn't justify the expense for what I was going to get. I got a heavily optioned used car for an outstanding price. As far as the differential goes, you get in the car what you want to use it for. Mine works just fine with my 550 horsepower Roush engine. The car has BMW suspension so that speaks for itself. Also, Your mechanical ability will also play a big part. Also, when you purchase one of these replicas or continuation cars you better be prepared to work on them. You'll find you don't have a lot of options for repair shops so it's going to be up to you and that's why these forums are so important. Lastly, any of these cars even with the mildest of engines are a handfull and extremely fast. The are exhilarating to drive. Good luck.

PS Talk to Jay from VMS about the new RT4

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 12-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: text
Old 12-19-2019, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred,
Thank you for the reply. You are right, I need to look and learn a lot. I see that.

I'm ok doing work on the cars. In fact, I'm going to sell my 1999 911 to make room for the Cobra because I don't like how hard it is to work on that car without a true lift; plus, what the hell is that thing in the back, an engine?! LOL Seriously, I am willing to learn (and am learning) about the cars, and am really enjoying driving it (2900 lbs and 300 hp in a tiny car is fun), but it's not like working on a V8 sports/muscle car.

I really want a Cobra that is not a death trap (because of being designed and/or built poorly, not because it's a powerful, light car - that's a given). It seems that the Superformance and a well (perhaps professionally) built Factory 5 might be the best handling, most modern driving car out there.

Safety, good handling car.
Attached Images

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-19-2019 at 05:34 PM..
Old 12-19-2019, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Adam,

I race a Superformance and can attest to their strength and performance. Have never had a problem with something failing even when pushed hard on the track. Good luck with your search. As previously stated, yes you will have to wrench things occasionally. It might be beneficial to see what cobras are close by to you so that if you have to work on something ou may have someone familiar with the cars to help or guide you.

Jim
Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Thanks for the info. In terms of best car, I'm looking for the best handling and safest build. Originality is not an issue for me. I heard Backdraft's use of BMW running gear and rear ends can't hold up to more than about 400hp tops. Supposedly a very nice car but not as strong a build and handling car , No?

I'm very open and learning, so feel free to school me! Heading over to VMS web site now...
Someone poured you a big glass of Koolaid. Seeing as how we have cars exceeding 900hp (with some upgrades of course). However every car with one or two exceptions we have sold in the last 4-5 years has had over 500hp and usually over 500hp at the rear wheels.

Take time to do the research. There's a major benefit when it comes to handling (and safety) when you stretch the wheel base and the track width. And then combine that with a proven suspension system?

Don't let the NYS process deter you, it is navigable. We've assisted a couple dozen customers through it over the years.

And yes, there's that RT4 now that should quiet some of the propaganda.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Someone poured you a big glass of Koolaid. Seeing as how we have cars exceeding 900hp (with some upgrades of course). However every car with one or two exceptions we have sold in the last 4-5 years has had over 500hp and usually over 500hp at the rear wheels.

Take time to do the research. There's a major benefit when it comes to handling (and safety) when you stretch the wheel base and the track width. And then combine that with a proven suspension system?

Don't let the NYS process deter you, it is navigable. We've assisted a couple dozen customers through it over the years.

And yes, there's that RT4 now that should quiet some of the propaganda.
I'm looking around on your site (again).

I'm open to be educated, as I said. Feel free to email or PM me if you have a canned reply for "why backdraft." (And what's the difference with the RT4?)

As I said, I'm trying to learn the pros and cons of each brand in some key areas, including:

- safety
- quality
- handling
- longevity
- resale value

My thinking so far was to try for IRS setup. I'm ok with a stretched wheelbase. I'm not sure which cars are stretched though. I'm also thinking a fully designed chassis and matching suspension would be better than using BMW stuff, but again, I'm open as to why that may not be the case.

Mostly, this will be a weekend cruiser, not a track car. I can take my new GT350 to the track and have a ton of fun with all the modern safety stuff too (Plus, that flat plane crank just loves to rev).

I want a car I can work on as needed (hopefully, not "needing" much but more like project work). My 911 is too tight of a package to enjoy, and the Shelby GT350 is covered by an 8 year warranty

Thanks in advance for any info shared.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The New York DMV process is a bit of a pain but can be done smoothly so long as you provide the information they want and most importantly DO NOT LIE, FAKE OR BULLSH!T the people in Albany. They know what these cars are and honestly they are more than lenient with some of the requirements. As soon as you try to bull them they will fight back. Like making your inspection appointment months out when there are openings next week.

We are aware of a resale car that they really dragged the guy over the coals on timing. He argued with the Albany people and they got even.

As a NHSTA guy told me once "No bureaucrat ever gets in trouble for saying 'NO'!"

If you would like information on Superformance email us info@timemachinesauto.com

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
The New York DMV process is a bit of a pain but can be done smoothly so long as you provide the information they want and most importantly DO NOT LIE, FAKE OR BULLSH!T the people in Albany. They know what these cars are and honestly they are more than lenient with some of the requirements. As soon as you try to bull them they will fight back. Like making your inspection appointment months out when there are openings next week.

We are aware of a resale car that they really dragged the guy over the coals on timing. He argued with the Albany people and they got even.

As a NHSTA guy told me once "No bureaucrat ever gets in trouble for saying 'NO'!"

If you would like information on Superformance email us info@timemachinesauto.com
Come on, it's been a lot more pleasant since someone retired
Old 12-20-2019, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info!

Hey, do you need wipers and turn signals to pass in NY? Or do hand signals work?

I just looked at a very nice Factory 5 car. I also looked at a Backdraft. I do not like the seating position in the Backdraft car: too much angle to the left and that tranny tunnel is HUGE. Plus, the seat had me in a fixed recline position so far back that I was going to fall asleep ;-)

The F5 was very, very nice. It was actually built by the factory team at an event, so it's all brand new parts and built by a professional. Paint is 9.9/10. Engine is a Blueprint 306 crate motor with carb, TKO600 5 spd and a Moser 8.8. Discs all around. Every single part is brand new. Car is basically brand new. Looks unused. Has 1,400 miles somehow, but looks like 14 miles to be honest.

I'm trying to determine a fair price. Wanna play What's It Worth, anyone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: