Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Thanks for the info!

Hey, do you need wipers and turn signals to pass in NY? Or do hand signals work?

I just looked at a very nice Factory 5 car. I also looked at a Backdraft. I do not like the seating position in the Backdraft car: too much angle to the left and that tranny tunnel is HUGE. Plus, the seat had me in a fixed recline position so far back that I was going to fall asleep ;-)

The F5 was very, very nice. It was actually built by the factory team at an event, so it's all brand new parts and built by a professional. Paint is 9.9/10. Engine is a Blueprint 306 crate motor with carb, TKO600 5 spd and a Moser 8.8. Discs all around. Every single part is brand new. Car is basically brand new. Looks unused. Has 1,400 miles somehow, but looks like 14 miles to be honest.

I'm trying to determine a fair price. Wanna play What's It Worth, anyone?
You need wipers, turn signals, and defroster. It's all outlined on in the application packet you must request from NY DMV.

The Backdraft you looked at, when was it built? A lot has changed in 6 years and even more in 6 months. Here so you don't have to search: Whats new in the RT4?

I will add the seating position has improved with the changes. I thought you were asking about handling at some point? The tunnel on the BDR is wider because the engine sits further back for balance. With the 427 Windsor setup nearly 50/50 front to rear. I like IRS myself.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Come on, it's been a lot more pleasant since someone retired
Yes Jay, but in this case the registrant deserved what he got. He was an A-hole from the get-go and treated all of the DMV people like they were indentured servants.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-21-2019, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
You need wipers, turn signals, and defroster. It's all outlined on in the application packet you must request from NY DMV.

The Backdraft you looked at, when was it built? A lot has changed in 6 years and even more in 6 months. Here so you don't have to search: Whats new in the RT4?

I will add the seating position has improved with the changes. I thought you were asking about handling at some point? The tunnel on the BDR is wider because the engine sits further back for balance. With the 427 Windsor setup nearly 50/50 front to rear. I like IRS myself.
They claim the back draft is new, 1100 miles. VIN AE9BMAAH7H1MT1013. A blackout edition.

I'm digging the Factory Five for the right price. I will drive it first. The Backdraft is too pricey for me anyway.

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6

Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1604, VMS 427
Not Ranked     
Default Registration in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Adam.

I live in NJ, which is another pain in the ass state, so I can share this. I purchased a previously owned 2014 Backdraft in NJ that was Titled correctly when brought here from Florida as a Replica so everything was a snap and I am exempt from inspection. I have heard nightmare stories about buying a car from another State and bringing them into NY & NJ. Do it wrong and you will be subject to inspection including emissions. If you purchase a car from a reputable dealer like VMS in Connecticut, they will take care of all of it for you including the DMV inspection in your home state. Good luck.

PS As far as the best car, that question itself will cause a ruckus and has. I chose Backdraft because it fit my budget and has a good reputation. If you are for a stickler for originality, that will cost you more and you will look at Superformance and the continuation cars.

Fred
Well total NEWBIE here as this is my 1st post.Need to start somewhere.I live in NJ also.So my question Fred if I buy a Backdraft from an owner and not a dealer out of state what is the correct way to registrar the car. The car is a 2017.I would like to have it exempt from inspection also.This state is a pain in the ass when it comes to this stuff.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsjr View Post
Well total NEWBIE here as this is my 1st post.Need to start somewhere.I live in NJ also.So my question Fred if I buy a Backdraft from an owner and not a dealer out of state what is the correct way to registrar the car. The car is a 2017.I would like to have it exempt from inspection also.This state is a pain in the ass when it comes to this stuff.
It will have to be registered previously as a 1965. If it is then the process is much easier. Just had a customer of ours go through it.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is the process very different/easier for used cars previously registered in another state vs a new one? Do used cars not require jumping through hoops (in NY) like engine/tranny receipts?

Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Is the process very different/easier for used cars previously registered in another state vs a new one? Do used cars not require jumping through hoops (in NY) like engine/tranny receipts?
Usually yes, the reg/title transfer HOWEVER there are exceptions. A car from Montana will get a going over due to the tax evasion schemes used with Montana titles. Also sometimes NY will not accept the issuing states VIN; we have seen this with a car from Michigan.

Understand the states real concern is sales tax and they don't want to let any possible funds slip away. A suspiciously low sales receipt amount will likely trigger further review. And some cars registered as "1965 Ford" with a 60's Ford VIN will probably get the evil eye as well.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Speaking of Montana, would that help me easily title and register the car? I'm not trying to avoid sales tax, just want to get it titled!

I'm looking at a newly built car that doesn't have wipers or heat. I'd like to get it titled in NY without them if possible. I'm not sure what state it was titled in, if it was even titled ever. That info is pending

Old 12-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Easy title and reg in Montana (and some other states as well), Yes....just don't plan on keeping/driving it in New York.

NY requires wipers and a defroster although I have never seen a car checked for defrosters. Wipers, well pretty easy to see they are not there.

If it not titled expect to meet the NY regulations. And even if you get it registered the lack of wipers will red flag the normal NYS annual safety inspection.

Do you want to roll the dice on a multiple tens of thousands of dollars purchase to find out you can't drive it?

Old 12-23-2019, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

riggsjr.

My car is titled and registered as a 65 replica and I have a letter from DMV stating it is exempt from inspection.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1604, VMS 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
riggsjr.

My car is titled and registered as a 65 replica and I have a letter from DMV stating it is exempt from inspection.
Sent you a PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm looking at a car out of state that has gone through a complete and legitimate process of inspections and being awarded a title. The title says 1965 KITV and elsewhere under BRANDS it states REPLICA and CLASSIC . It says EXEMPT for mileage.

I called NY DMV too. He told me mostly all he cares about is if the car went through the process of inspection with another state, then they would probably be fine with it, just making sure that the VIN doesn't come up as stolen of course.

I would have to bring the car to the division of investigation to verify the VIN on the car and then they will give me the form to go to DMV and register it and title it. So hopefully that's it.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 01-13-2020 at 03:20 AM..